RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Something is clearly holding him back. It might be mental or physical issues (or both) but his level of play is significantly worse than last season. He's doing all the wrong things and his confidence is way low.

I think it might be better for him to stay at least one more year in the familiar settings of Finland, in order to sort his game out. Going to NA with his current form could lead to a miserable visit. Then again, it might be the fresh start he needs.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Something is clearly holding him back. It might be mental or physical issues (or both) but his level of play is significantly worse than last season. He's doing all the wrong things and his confidence is way low.

I think it might be better for him to stay at least one more year in the familiar settings of Finland, in order to sort his game out. Going to NA with his current form could lead to a miserable visit. Then again, it might be the fresh start he needs.

Yeah... Like his team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah... Like his team.

As I posted on the Prospects thread on the Detroit board, Jokerit have scored the 4th most goals in the league yet none of the players are in the top 20, and the only line that has consistently played together and has shown chemistry and good two play has been the line of Jarkko Ruutu, Riku Hahl and Jani Rita. Pulkkinen's linemates have changed often due to injuries and the newly structured lines have failed to show little chemistry. When you factor in the team's issues with offensive and defensive systems, which have only recently started to look somewhat "normal", you've got one big mess at your hands.

There's also couple of other factors, he changed his stick and stick blade model for this season to the same Kovalchuk uses so that he could use his wrist shot better/quicker. It's s been clear that he hasn't been very comfortable with it. Also his weight training went a little overboard in the summer. Detroit wanted him to work on his strength and weight which he did, but he apparently gains muscle mass faster than the average person, which means that while he doesn't go down so easily in the corners anymore, his agility has suffered. Since they know the problem now, next off-season should go better on that regard.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Highly unlikely he makes it to the NHL

Far too early to say that. E.g. at the trade deadline, all the teams Detroit talked to, wanted Pulkkinen but they said no. For someone "highly unlikely to make the NHL" there would not be that much interest.

Last edited:

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Far too early to say that. E.g. at the trade deadline, all the teams Detroit talked to, wanted Pulkkinen but they said no. For someone "highly unlikely to make the NHL" there would not be that much interest.

The way he has been adapting the game detroit plays even without being in NHL or AHL is almost remarkable for a guy who haven't even been introduced to their playstyle by a coach in anyway. I can't name anyone from europe in a decade who has improved few sections of hes game so much that Pulkkinen has done in last two seasons. Hes pretty much NHL ready now, now he only needs bit luck and decent line with good chemistry.

Hes defensive and playmaking game has improved so much, he has taken so big leap on them in last two season( i used to see him as pure sniper and as a "thing" who you could throw around in trades to get earlier draft number ) that i just can't name any player who has done it this way( being in europe and trying to adapt playing style of a team without actually playing with them ).

I think Pulkkinen will be playing few games in NHL next year, if he does all the right things off-season training, training camp and in games.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Everyone is down on him for his skating and his lower numbers this season. Look at the facts....he led a professional hockey team in scoring 2 years in a row, as a 19 year old and a 20 year old. There are multiple former NHL'ers AHL'ers on that team all in their late 20's or into their 30's and he out produced them. Yes, his skating is weak...but there is PLENTY of time for him to improve on an NHL strength and conditioning regimen, and also plenty of time to develop in the AHL when the Wings bring him over. Jiri Hudler still is not a speed demon, but I watched him his first 2 years in Grand Rapids, and his skating has improved unbelievably compared to what it was when he first came here. The Wings skating coaches will improve Teemu's skating. I understand most of the bickering on here is between finns who don't like Jokerit etc. but the kid has talent and was an absolute steal in the 4th round.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Everyone is down on him for his skating and his lower numbers this season. Look at the facts....he led a professional hockey team in scoring 2 years in a row, as a 19 year old and a 20 year old. There are multiple former NHL'ers AHL'ers on that team all in their late 20's or into their 30's and he out produced them. Yes, his skating is weak...but there is PLENTY of time for him to improve on an NHL strength and conditioning regimen, and also plenty of time to develop in the AHL when the Wings bring him over. Jiri Hudler still is not a speed demon, but I watched him his first 2 years in Grand Rapids, and his skating has improved unbelievably compared to what it was when he first came here. The Wings skating coaches will improve Teemu's skating. I understand most of the bickering on here is between finns who don't like Jokerit etc. but the kid has talent and was an absolute steal in the 4th round.

He's not that slow -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo-Qa3-rVdA ( hes the guy with golden helmet, lol ).

Anchor Town*

The way he has been adapting the game detroit plays even without being in NHL or AHL is almost remarkable for a guy who haven't even been introduced to their playstyle by a coach in anyway. I can't name anyone from europe in a decade who has improved few sections of hes game so much that Pulkkinen has done in last two seasons. Hes pretty much NHL ready now, now he only needs bit luck and decent line with good chemistry.

Hes defensive and playmaking game has improved so much, he has taken so big leap on them in last two season( i used to see him as pure sniper and as a "thing" who you could throw around in trades to get earlier draft number ) that i just can't name any player who has done it this way( being in europe and trying to adapt playing style of a team without actually playing with them ).

I think Pulkkinen will be playing few games in NHL next year, if he does all the right things off-season training, training camp and in games.

Lol at Pulkkinen playing in the NHL next year

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Lol at Pulkkinen playing in the NHL next year
I partly agree with you but he did say "a few games" which is possible for pretty much any top6 player on the Griffins if a serious injury bug hits the Wings. Tatar played 9 NHL-games in his 2nd season after the draft, Ritola 2 games after two seasons in Sweden(same situation as Pulkkinen) and Hudler had 12 games in his first season in NA. That's just to name a few examples. But I'm not even sure if he'll be with the Griffins next year.

As Leehh mentioned, his defense and playmaking has improved considerably since he was drafted, and the only thing holding him back really is his skating. Hopefully they'll find him a good skating coach to work on his technique during this off-season, since it's not about lack of power anymore.

Last edited:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

I find it highly unlikely that all the teams that Detroit talked to wanted Pulkkinen. I'm sure there was some interest but Detroit has much better prospects on D that would draw much more interest.

Pulkkinen is slow and undersized....a combo which doesnt often work out to be good in the NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I find it highly unlikely that all the teams that Detroit talked to wanted Pulkkinen. I'm sure there was some interest but Detroit has much better prospects on D that would draw much more interest.

Pulkkinen is slow and undersized....a combo which doesnt often work out to be good in the NHL.

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/03/...ding_redwings.html?blockID=683554&feedID=3804

Several of Detroit’s top prospects were off the table, and the Wings were more inclined to part with only draft picks in any deals.

They certainly weren't willing to give up high-scoring prospect Teemu Pulkkinen, who every team apparently wanted to acquire.

Since when is 179cm/88 kg undersized? Note that Pavel Bure was listed at 178/86 in his prime. Marc Savard is/was 178cm/92kg.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It literally looked like he had bricks taped to his feet...

Actually several Jokerit fans have been saying that as well, wondering what the hell is wrong with him because his skating was nowhere this bad looking last year. They've also noted that he seems to get gassed really quickly, leaning more weight to comments about the weight training last season going overboard.

RKC

Aug 7, 2011
There are not many players under 180 cm in the NHL who are as bad skaters as Pulkkinen is. Like Latexi said few posts above, his technique is brutal and it's a bit too late to start working on it when you're 20. Hard to see him having much of a future in the show unless he can change his awkward skating position somehow. I'm not counting on it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
well that completely proves my point........small and slow is not good.......pavel bure was nicknamed the russian rocket? did you ever see him play he was unreal fast.

I was referring to the size. Savard isn't known for his skating either. Nor is Hudler who's smaller than Pulkkinen.

Last edited:

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria

If you want talk about size take a look on T. Ennis hes 5'9 ~150 or Sullivan whose 5'8 or maybe Gionta at 5'7 and yet they doing ok. You can't forget that Pulkkinen weights a lot more than these guys i mentioned. Also Pulkkinen did add so much weight and muscle on lower body, he's like those "old school" hockey players who all had massive arses if you can remember times back then.

Theres two ways to do it ( add weight ) bulk up really fast at summer and battle through season which is mentally and physically more harder but the end result is better in most cases ( one to two seasons and he will be flying out there if he does get world class skating coach ) Second one is to add steadily muscle.

Just to clarify im talking about size not the skating ability.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
If you want talk about size take a look on T. Ennis hes 5'9 ~150 or Sullivan whose 5'8 or maybe Gionta at 5'7 and yet they doing ok. You can't forget that Pulkkinen weights a lot more than these guys i mentioned. Also Pulkkinen did add so much weight and muscle on lower body, he's like those "old school" hockey players who all had massive arses if you can remember times back then.

Theres two ways to do it ( add weight ) bulk up really fast at summer and battle through season which is mentally and physically more harder but the end result is better in most cases ( one to two seasons and he will be flying out there if he does get world class skating coach ) Second one is to add steadily muscle.

Just to clarify im talking about size not the skating ability.

Is it hard to understand that I was speaking about players who are SMALL AND SLOW???? not one or the other but both. You seriously thought I didnt know there was small players in the NHL before? Now list me 5 players in the NHL who were at least relatively good who were both small and slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad