RW Seth Griffith (2012, 131st overall, Boston)

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
This guy had pretty good stats in his draft year but went undrafted. Now he is the leading scorer on the best team in the OHL but I don't hear many people talking about him. He is listed at 5'11" so he isn't overly small. For those familiar with him, why has he been overlooked? Poor defensive play? Attitude problems?

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
This guy had pretty good stats in his draft year but went undrafted. Now he is the leading scorer on the best team in the OHL but I don't hear many people talking about him. He is listed at 5'11" so he isn't overly small. For those familiar with him, why has he been overlooked? Poor defensive play? Attitude problems?

62 points last year and a minus 1 could of went late rounds this is not good stats it is ok but not good. Freddy Hamilton had 55 points plus 6 but is 6'1" and he went 6th round the year before.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Definitely shoud have been drafted. He's not big or overly fast but is a tremendous scorer. Destroyed Jr. B as a 16 year old, had a strong rookie year last year and is having a huge year this year. Clutch too, scored a ton of big goals for London this year. His defense is more than adequate as he's become a threat short handed this year.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Kids just an offensive machine. He has a wicked shot. Not overly sure why he wasn't taken last year. Either way I hope the Jets snag him this year.

And didn't Tampa Bay invite him to camp?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Kids just an offensive machine. He has a wicked shot. Not overly sure why he wasn't taken last year. Either way I hope the Jets snag him this year.

And didn't Tampa Bay invite him to camp?

He went to camp with Tampa because they drafted his line mate Namestnikov. Was not signed.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Definitely shoud have been drafted. He's not big or overly fast but is a tremendous scorer. Destroyed Jr. B as a 16 year old, had a strong rookie year last year and is having a huge year this year. Clutch too, scored a ton of big goals for London this year. His defense is more than adequate as he's become a threat short handed this year.

I was definitely surprised he went undrafted last year.

You have to think it was for one of two reasons

1) Size + skating. Griffith isn't a burner and isn't a big guy. The combination of adequate skating and average size can often be a turnoff.

2) The "tweener" syndrome. Or at least that's what I like to call it. The perception that a player may not have good enough offensive skills to play in the top 6, but doesn't fit the mold of a typical bottom six player. I liked Griffith last year, but I didn't think he had THIS much offensive talent in him. And just the same, he has always been a capable two way player, but he doesn't project as a bottom six player at the next level.

So the question is, has he really done enough to suggest he should be drafted this time around?

I'm really not sure of the answer to be honest. His skating hasn't really improved to the point where I'd call him above average. So he still has the size/skating issue.

But I would definitely argue that he's shown enough offensively to suggest he has the skill level to play a top 6 role in the NHL.

He's definitely one of the top "re-entries" available, but I'm still not certain he gets drafted. Is he really all that much of a different player than he was last year when scouts passed on him?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
His game has definitely developed this season.

He's been given a ton of icetime and has been the Knights go to forward in all situations.
Griffith has routinely been the Knights lone forwards when killing 5 on 3 situations and has been a great shot blocker.

His confidence is night and day from last season. He had all the skill, but seemed timid in his first full season. And it showed as he played a pass first offensive style and seemed too worried sometimes.

This season he is constantly looking for his own shot and if he is given an inch, he will try to snipe from anywhere in the offensive zone... and is capable of doing it! That's the difference, he is now confident that he is the best shooting option on the ice for the Knights and never hesitates to shoot. Instead of being timid and pass first, he has become an offensive predator this year.

His confidence has also showed in his physical play, he is much more willing to mix it up this season and play in the tough areas. Even has a couple fights I believe.

I can't say enough about how much I like him as a junior player. He did work really hard on his skating in the offseason, but it remains a question mark. Definitely worth a high round flyer pick because of his potential high upside. I'd be surprised if he didn't get drafted at some point this season.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I was definitely surprised he went undrafted last year.

You have to think it was for one of two reasons

1) Size + skating. Griffith isn't a burner and isn't a big guy. The combination of adequate skating and average size can often be a turnoff.

2) The "tweener" syndrome. Or at least that's what I like to call it. The perception that a player may not have good enough offensive skills to play in the top 6, but doesn't fit the mold of a typical bottom six player. I liked Griffith last year, but I didn't think he had THIS much offensive talent in him. And just the same, he has always been a capable two way player, but he doesn't project as a bottom six player at the next level.

So the question is, has he really done enough to suggest he should be drafted this time around?

I'm really not sure of the answer to be honest. His skating hasn't really improved to the point where I'd call him above average. So he still has the size/skating issue.

But I would definitely argue that he's shown enough offensively to suggest he has the skill level to play a top 6 role in the NHL.

He's definitely one of the top "re-entries" available, but I'm still not certain he gets drafted. Is he really all that much of a different player than he was last year when scouts passed on him?
Brock, you posted exactly what I was going to say - especially point #2. Most scouts see him as a tweener or just one of those good OHLers who can't crack an NHLs top 6 and not suited to play bottom 6. He's probably worth taking a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round as he does seem to have the "prove people wrong" attitude but I've heard some experts say he could go undrafted again this year.

I'm rooting for Seth as he comes from my local area in Lambton Kent (Wallaceburg specifically) which is a good lacrosse breeding ground as you guys alluded to above

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Isnt he a good lacrosse player? I think I remember playing him against team Ontario

I believe he captained Team Ontario. Best player in the province from what I've heard.
Yup he was captain, he was unreal at lax before he had to quit.
He went to camp with Tampa because they drafted his line mate Namestnikov. Was not signed.

Tampa had contact with him all year and were keepign tabs on him with his agent, after the draft the first guy to call him was Stevie Y

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

i have been asking this question for some time, but no one can tell me why there is no love for this guy with hockey canada.
He couldn't take Kevin Roys place on the summer roster?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
i have been asking this question for some time, but no one can tell me why there is no love for this guy with hockey canada.
He couldn't take Kevin Roys place on the summer roster?

What Kevin Roy did last year was much more impressive than Griffith.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
OHL player of the week.

2011-2012:

45 goals / 40 assists / 68 games in the regular season

10 goals / 13 assists / 19 games in the playoffs

The kid has decent size at 5'11 / 185 pounds. His skating game is his major deficiency. If he can work on that, he's got a shot at cracking an NHL roster as a top 9 winger. I'm still surprised he didn't get taken until the 7th round.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
OHL player of the week.

2011-2012:

45 goals / 40 assists / 68 games in the regular season

10 goals / 13 assists / 19 games in the playoffs

The kid has decent size at 5'11 / 185 pounds. His skating game is his major deficiency. If he can work on that, he's got a shot at cracking an NHL roster as a top 9 winger. I'm still surprised he didn't get taken until the 7th round.

Wasn't he a fifth? I agree with you. He's gotta work on the skating. He has great offensive instincts though, just seems to know where to be.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Wasn't he a fifth? I agree with you. He's gotta work on the skating. He has great offensive instincts though, just seems to know where to be.

Yeah he was. He still gets undermined by a lot of sports writers, sometimes even Boston ones.

In THN he wasn't even listed in like the top 10 Bruins prospects, even though guys that will likely never sniff a full time spot in the NHL were listed haha

I don't understand why he doesn't get any credit, or why he sunk that late at all.

Is there some like gaping flaw in his game or something?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah he was. He still gets undermined by a lot of sports writers, sometimes even Boston ones.

In THN he wasn't even listed in like the top 10 Bruins prospects, even though guys that will likely never sniff a full time spot in the NHL were listed haha

I don't understand why he doesn't get any credit, or why he sunk that late at all.

Is there some like gaping flaw in his game or something?
Well, he's undersized and isn't really the fastest.
Since he's a skilled offensive player and that's about it, it's all about whether or not he's skilled enough to play that role at the NHL level.

No one felt that he was worth a draft pick in 2011 when he was first eligible for the draft, but the Lightning invited him to their training camp.
He didn't get signed but lit up the OHL as an 18 year old, so that obviously changed some scouts minds.
Since he had already been passed over once and has his flaws though, he went in the fifth round.
He probably would have been a fine choice a bit higher since the depth was kind of lacking this year, but obviously no one liked him quite that much.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Since he's a skilled offensive player and that's about it, it's all about whether or not he's skilled enough to play that role at the NHL level.

No one felt that he was worth a draft pick in 2011 when he was first eligible for the draft, but the Lightning invited him to their training camp.
He didn't get signed but lit up the OHL as an 18 year old, so that obviously changed some scouts minds.
Since he had already been passed over once and has his flaws though, he went in the fifth round.
He probably would have been a fine choice a bit higher since the depth was kind of lacking this year, but obviously no one liked him quite that much.

the reports here reminds me of the chap( forget his name) for Ottawa 67's two years ago that was the top goal scorer but HC questioned his skating and therefore never got picked for the juniors.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

It is just surprising that no one was willing to spend a draft pick before the 5th round on him, considering most 3rd rounders and beyond won't even make the NHL and (not saying he will for sure) he seems to have a pretty good skillset

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com

Pretty much. Hockey history is full of Corey Lockes, guys who dominated junior hockey but couldn't crack the NHL full-time. David Bolland, to use one example from London, was a skilled first liner in the OHL but has dug out a different role in the NHL, since he wasn't skilled enough to play a first liner role. Bolland's game was well-rounded enough that he was able to do that. Seth Griffith's isn't - he'll either make the NHL as a top two lines scorer, or not at all. Maybe he will buck the odds, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad