RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th OA, NYI): Part II

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Rushing it a bit like Jost??

Jost had a much better freshman year to the point that after his D+ 1 season many believed him to be NHL ready, problem is when it was apparent he wasn't the Avalanche just kept him in the NHL. Big difference than with Wahlstrom who had a below average D +1 season and many are questioning if he's even AHL ready.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think you sign an ELC and an ATO...

But he's young enough where his contract should slide even if he plays games in the NHL this year.

Players do it all the time. ELC kicks in at the start of the new season, and an ATO is for this season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I assume he'll be in the AHL. But the Isles could still have him go to the CHL next year could they not?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I assume he'll be in the AHL. But the Isles could still have him go to the CHL next year could they not?

This is what I am wondering too... that's exactly what they did with Bellows, who was drafted a bit lower and had a slightly worse NCAA rookie season

Wahlstrom would go to Cape Breton if he plays in the CHL... they are an excellent team and should be just as good next year

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is what I am wondering too... that's exactly what they did with Bellows, who was drafted a bit lower and had a slightly worse NCAA rookie season

Wahlstrom would go to Cape Breton if he plays in the CHL... they are an excellent team and should be just as good next year

Yup pretty sure they can.. Ottawa signed Tkachuk and he was in training camp .. He could have been sent down to the AHL or convinced to go to London if things didn't work out.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yup pretty sure they can.. Ottawa signed Tkachuk and he was in training camp .. He could have been sent down to the AHL or convinced to go to London if things didn't work out.

Oh yeah they definitely can. Players can go NCAA -> CHL just not the other way around

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Maybe his rights can be traded to someone like Rouyn-Noranda and get Wahlstrom and Dobson together next year. That would be a nice scenario for the Isles.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Depending on what happens to the Isles with Lee and Nelson, I imagine guys like Dal Colle, Ho Sang and Bellows are the likely trio to step in and replace those guys if they truly leave. That really doesn't leave Wall-E with much chance at the NHL team. Now the AHL squad would likely lose those names I just mentioned so there will be openings for him to step in. Wall-E is best suited with a center that can generate offense for him, don't really see that at Bridgeport for him to be honest, so honestly not sure if the AHL is his best route either, depends on what players they can put with him down there.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Depending on what happens to the Isles with Lee and Nelson, I imagine guys like Dal Colle, Ho Sang and Bellows are the likely trio to step in and replace those guys if they truly leave.

That's not likely. NYI and Lee will come to an agreement. They need each other. Nelson will probably walk, because of the dearth of available UFA centers, and none of the players you listed play center. I'm not certain Ho-Sang gets a new contract. Dal Colle might, but as a depth guy. Bellows has shone zero reason to believe he can play in the NHL. NYI's most ready forward prospect right now is Otto Koivula, who has the hockey sense and skill to play in the NHL now, but his mobility is subpar.

Wall-E is best suited with a center that can generate offense for him, don't really see that at Bridgeport for him to be honest, so honestly not sure if the AHL is his best route either, depends on what players they can put with him down there.

That's true if Koivula is in the NHL. If he's in the AHL, he's an excellent passer. Also, LL typically pays attention to signing AHL vets - if he needs an AHL vet playmaker at C, he'll get one.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That's not likely. NYI and Lee will come to an agreement. They need each other. Nelson will probably walk, because of the dearth of available UFA centers, and none of the players you listed play center. I'm not certain Ho-Sang gets a new contract. Dal Colle might, but as a depth guy. Bellows has shone zero reason to believe he can play in the NHL. NYI's most ready forward prospect right now is Otto Koivula, who has the hockey sense and skill to play in the NHL now, but his mobility is subpar.

That's true if Koivula is in the NHL. If he's in the AHL, he's an excellent passer. Also, LL typically pays attention to signing AHL vets - if he needs an AHL vet playmaker at C, he'll get one.
you know your team better than I do. I was just pointing out that Lee and Nelson are still unsigned, and if they do not resign those guys or bring in UFA players, that trio would likely be the top names to look at to fill in. I don't know much about Koivula but saw some from him and not sure he can make it long term with his foot speed. We have a guy kind of like him in Edjsell as well, though Koivula has performed better this year.

I guess my point is this - even if Lee and Nelson leave there is no guarantee Wall-E can crack the Isles. That was pretty much all I am saying as there still are some names ahead of him in the depth chart to likely get first crack to take over some spots. Unless he destroys it in camp I think his shot with the Isles next year is very slim until maybe end of year depending on how the team is performing.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Unless he destroys it in camp I think his shot with the Isles next year is very slim until maybe end of year depending on how the team is performing.

Completely agree with this. I expect NYI to acquire wingers one way or the other (by UFA or by trading D for wings), with the expectation that Wahlstrom is not in the mix at all. If he surprises, that's something the team will deal with in camp. Right now the team is deep in NHL ready D, and nearly bare up front.

Reactions: AmericanDream

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Jost had a much better freshman year to the point that after his D+ 1 season many believed him to be NHL ready, problem is when it was apparent he wasn't the Avalanche just kept him in the NHL. Big difference than with Wahlstrom who had a below average D +1 season and many are questioning if he's even AHL ready.

Before he signed his ELC (but after he announced he was leaving BC), there was some talk of him going over to play in the SHL. Not sure how on point that is anymore but it may not be the worst idea for him to get out of town, spend a season in Sweden (where is Dad played) and then come back to the AHL at 20 and see what happens.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

There is no dearth of UFA centers, There is Duchene, Hayes and Nelson. Thats about it for worthwhile centers. and Many teams with needs. Nelson almost must be signed because of the unliklyhood of landing Duchene or Hayes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I honestly think Lou would rather play Steve Bernier in the NHL next season than Wahlstrom.

The guy has a lot of patience with prospects. He’s always talking about how you can bring up a guy too soon, but never too late. Even regarding roster decisions in general, he’s always stressing about using time when time is on your side.

I think Wahlstrom needs to prove himself over the course of an entire pro season in the AHL first before getting NHL consideration.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I honestly think Lou would rather play Steve Bernier in the NHL next season than Wahlstrom.

The guy has a lot of patience with prospects. He’s always talking about how you can bring up a guy too soon, but never too late. Even regarding roster decisions in general, he’s always stressing about using time when time is on your side.

I think Wahlstrom needs to prove himself over the course of an entire pro season in the AHL first before getting NHL consideration.

It looks like he didn’t dress this weekend, sorta surprised about that.

I used to work for Lou, but I have to disagree with him about bringing up guys too late. The CBA forces the issue to a large extent: you have to force feed them defensive assignments early in the A and force them to struggle. If they can get past that, they’ll be fine.

The ones that can’t hack it, deal them straightaway to someone who hopes they can fix them.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Jost is going to be just fine. Jost just needs some quality linesman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad