RW Noel Gunler - Luleå HF, SHL (2020, 41st, CAR)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Why was Gunler left off Hlinka team and U18 team? Has a coach ever explained why he wasn't picked? Any legitimacy to rumour of attitude issues?
The only official statement regarding the U18's is that "it's about solving a jigsaw puzzle," and that other players were more outstanding during the 5 nations tournament in Russia(which is a lie aside from Holtz/Raymond/Nybeck). He also said Gunler was a reserve for U18's.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am aware of the age restrictions for these tournaments. I was asking why was he left off in the years that he was eligible to be on the teams.

At 2018 Hlinka, both Holtz and Raymond were there and are younger than Gunler, so it's not simply an issue of age.

I think you are confused about it.

Nobody ever said it was all about age, but two years ago Gunler was rawer than most picked.

You can speculate all you want in terms of where there are smoke there are fire. I think it’s pretty obvious that Havelid wasn’t Gunler’s biggest fan.

But OTOH, when a guy have to play with guys mostly a year older than him it’s not the same thing as had he been left off this year. Facts are that he missed the cut for this tournament by a very brief period of time — and had he been eligible this year he would by far have been Sweden’s best player there and a goto player on the roster.

Your continues “I want to know more” requests along with statements that these hush hush issues raise your suscpions is also odd. When has a coach ever given through explanation for cutting a player? Well maybe it was done when the US national team was selected for the World Cup (or was it the OGs?). All hell broke lose. Call up the coach and see if you can get him to talk, his number is listed in the phone book.

You have posted here since 2005, these things can’t be news to you...

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think you are confused about it.

Nobody ever said it was all about age, but two years ago Gunler was rawer than most picked.

You can speculate all you want in terms of where there are smoke there are fire. I think it’s pretty obvious that Havelid wasn’t Gunler’s biggest fan.

But OTOH, when a guy have to play with guys mostly a year older than him it’s not the same thing as had he been left off this year. Facts are that he missed the cut for this tournament by a very brief period of time — and had he been eligible this year he would by far have been Sweden’s best player there and a goto player on the roster.

Your continues “I want to know more” requests along with statements that these hush hush issues raise your suscpions is also odd. When has a coach ever given through explanation for cutting a player? Well maybe it was done when the US national team was selected for the World Cup (or was it the OGs?). All hell broke lose. Call up the coach and see if you can get him to talk, his number is listed in the phone book.

You have posted here since 2005, these things can’t be news to you...
Spare me -- and everyone else -- the lecture. If you have insight that you can put in the form of an answer, do so. If not, don't answer the question with a word salad.

And again, no, there is no confusion about age-eligibility for either event.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Don't really know anything about these guys but from what I've heard Alexander Holtz is a better prospect. He's born in 2002, compared to Gunler who is a late '01.

Alexander Holtz at eliteprospects.com

Lucas Raymond also seems to be a talented '02.

Lucas Raymond at eliteprospects.com

Holtz and Raymond both have better production than Gunler in J18 Allsvenskan.
Fast-forward two-and-half years and all three are in the conversation for Top 10 with two considered locks for the Top 10.

Don't ever let anyone say reading HFBoards isn't a good way to survey the landscape of hockey prospects. You just need to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
Been a good week so far for Gunler. More TOI and the points are coming. Hopefully on the first line with Connolly and Emanuelsson tomorrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad