RW Noel Gunler - Luleå HF, SHL (2020, 41st, CAR)

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Has been invitied to the Swedish U20 roster for activities in August, took them some time, eh?

In general, yes, but was he invited later than others in this particular instance?
I heard something along the lines of teams not having been allowed on-ice training until recently, but I dunno.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
In general, yes, but was he invited later than others in this particular instance?
I heard something along the lines of teams not having been allowed on-ice training until recently, but I dunno.
They just released the roster, so not sure why he would have been invited later, or how you could even find that out. Teams have never not been allowed on-ice training AFAIK.

Also, looks like he has grown to 187cm(6'2").

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like he is on the same tier with players like Holloway and Mercer. Again, the Euro players getting a second look in the late summer/early fall is a huge advantage for GM's. 6 or 7 months of additional growth and training can make a huge difference, and I can see the top three Swedes in particular benefitting, as they were thought to have somewhat disappointing D year seasons. The late draft will give them a chance to change some minds, unlike CHL, and other Junior league players.

Last edited:

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
They just released the roster, so not sure why he would have been invited later, or how you could even find that out. Teams have never not been allowed on-ice training AFAIK.

Also, looks like he has grown to 187cm(6'2").

Rushed post on my behalf there, sorry. I understand that you referred to him being snubbed by the national team for previous tournaments, and not to him being a late call-up or such for the U20 team this particular time.

I’ve been so out of it regarding hockey for months now—when the SHL playoffs were cancelled after Luleå’s best season ever, I basically felt done with the f***ing game. I’ve gradually recouped some interest, and Gunler’s D+1 plus how Nils Lundkvist follows up the success of last season are certain reasons for building up some hype for the next one.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Seems like he is on the same tier with players like Holloway and Mercer. Again, the Euro players getting a second look in the late summer/early fall is a huge advantage for GM's. 6 or 7 months of additional growth and training can make a huge difference, and I can see the top three Swedes in particular benefitting, as they were thought to have somewhat disappointing D year seasons. The late draft will give them a chance to change some minds, unlike CHL, and other Junior league players.
I would say Gunler has more offensive upside than Holloway or Mercer. So if you want to swing more for offense ...
Holloway and Mercer are less rink to play 3rd line because of their 2 way game.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
To me he reminds me a lot of Nicklas Jensen. I see a good shooter and skater but I am not seeing a lot more to his game. Am I wrong? If so, please explain why...

Thanks.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's a smart player, opportunistic scorer. I think his upside has been greatly exaggerated by some people though.

He doesn't have the profile of a dominant scorer in the NHL. That's what everyone dreams of picking in mock drafts. But I agree with your assessment. He's smart, he creates havoc for the other team, and has the tools to capitalize on the opportunities he gets.

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018

Apparently just got moved down from 4th line to 13th forward. Anyone know what’s up

He has been very uneven in the game without the puck. You have to remember that the team he plays for is the team that works hardest and is most strict in the play without the puck (but with great freedom with the puck) in the entire SHL. If you do not perform in the play without a puck, then it will be difficult to get ice time. Luleå is also the top team in the SHL so it is difficult to get ice time as the competition is great in the team.

/Luleå fan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of the biggest surprises today for me was not seeing this guy picked. Was there any glaring reason why? I hope Detroit swings on him at 32.

I think it's a few reasons as opposed to one.

Character, defense, and questions about if he's a very-good skill/playmaker as opposed to merely good. It's a lot easier to pick this guy in the first round and ignore the question marks if you think he's almost too good not to score 40-50 points in the NHL. If you think he's just a good goal scorer with question marks almost everywhere else, you have to question whether he even makes the NHL.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I always though Perrault and Gunler were good bets to go in the 2nd round. Perrault snuck into the first round, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad