RW Noel Gunler - Luleå HF, SHL (2020, 41st, CAR)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Feels like Carolina gets one or more steals every year.

Yeah, the Hurricanes are never afraid to take risks and bet on high skill, high upside players with a few question marks. Skillfull and high IQ players with questions over things like size or skating usually do better than physical, defensively sound "safe" players without much high end ability.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He has top 10 level skill, vision shooting and hands. I think he is better than Jack Quinn. I dislike Carolina but they got the steal of the draft.

I'd like to see it to believe it. Give me just one tournament in which he produces at a high level. He's yet to do so.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
According to Gunler, Carolina was the only team who had not interviewed him prior to the draft. I’m guessing that they didn’t expect him to be available quite so late?

Source: 20 questions for Noel Gunler, from SHL.se via Google Translate:

“1. How do you rank your 19th birthday compared to the others you've had in your life?
- I have to rank it the highest of the birthdays I have had so far.
2. What would it take for you to be able to top it?
- I do not know if it can actually be topped. It remains to be seen.
3. With some distance to the draft. What are the lasting memories?
- Of course, these are very strong memories. There’s only joy around it. A fantastic moment, which I will always remember.
4. Did you sense it could be Carolina or were you surprised?
- I was actually a little surprised that they picked me. I had talked to all the NHL teams besides Carolina before the draft. Therefore, I was surprised. It was probably the most unexpected team to choose me, but it could not have been better.
5. What else did you get as a birthday present, in addition to being chosen in the draft?
- Some clothes and also some golf stuff.
6. Let’s play with the idea that you play in the NHL in a year or so, which player would be the coolest to face?
- I will say Connor McDavid. Goes without saying as you've seen a lot of him since he's the best player in the world right now.
7. Name three artists you are listening to right now?
- I listen to a lot of Swedish rap, such as Einár. Then I also listen to Drake and Post Malone.
8. Do you have a special routine when it comes to putting on the equipment or preparing for a match?
- I always put on the left skate first. The entire left side goes on first. I do not know why, but it has just become so.
9. If you were allowed to go on a TV show, what would you like to be on then?
- “The Champion of Champions” [popular reality show where successful Swedish athletes compete with each other in various challenges]
10. Is there any particular challenge in the competition where you feel you would succeed?
- I think I had delivered in most challenges, haha.
11. Who on the team would you prefer to spend your vacation with?
- Filip Hållander.
12. Golf or padel?
- If you had asked me a year ago, I would have answered padel, but now it's golf without a doubt.
13. What are your goals in golf?
- I compete against myself. I have gone from 54 to 11.5 in handicap this summer. I want to work my way down even further.
14. What was the last movie you saw in the cinema?
- I guess it was Spider-Man.
15. How would you rate it?
- A nine.
16. If you were to change lives with a teammate for a day, who would it be?
- I would pick one of the older ones to see what it's like to be a dad. I say Niklas Olausson.
17. Who were you at school?
- The happy and mischievous guy.
18. A match-free Thursday night and you sit on the TV couch. Do you watch SHL or something else?
- There is a pretty big chance that I will watch SHL. It happens quite often like that, or that I play some video games.
19. If you are going to treat yourself to something, what do you buy then?
- I enjoy eating ice cream. I’ll go for ice cream.
20. What is your favorite ice cream?
- Magnum Strawberry White.”

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
According to Gunler, Carolina was the only team who had not interviewed him prior to the draft. I’m guessing that they didn’t expect him to be available quite so late?

Source: 20 questions for Noel Gunler, from SHL.se via Google Translate:

“1. How do you rank your 19th birthday compared to the others you've had in your life?
- I have to rank it the highest of the birthdays I have had so far.
2. What would it take for you to be able to top it?
- I do not know if it can actually be topped. It remains to be seen.
3. With some distance to the draft. What are the lasting memories?
- Of course, these are very strong memories. There’s only joy around it. A fantastic moment, which I will always remember.
4. Did you sense it could be Carolina or were you surprised?
- I was actually a little surprised that they picked me. I had talked to all the NHL teams besides Carolina before the draft. Therefore, I was surprised. It was probably the most unexpected team to choose me, but it could not have been better.
5. What else did you get as a birthday present, in addition to being chosen in the draft?
- Some clothes and also some golf stuff.
6. Let’s play with the idea that you play in the NHL in a year or so, which player would be the coolest to face?
- I will say Connor McDavid. Goes without saying as you've seen a lot of him since he's the best player in the world right now.
7. Name three artists you are listening to right now?
- I listen to a lot of Swedish rap, such as Einár. Then I also listen to Drake and Post Malone.
8. Do you have a special routine when it comes to putting on the equipment or preparing for a match?
- I always put on the left skate first. The entire left side goes on first. I do not know why, but it has just become so.
9. If you were allowed to go on a TV show, what would you like to be on then?
- “The Champion of Champions” [popular reality show where successful Swedish athletes compete with each other in various challenges]
10. Is there any particular challenge in the competition where you feel you would succeed?
- I think I had delivered in most challenges, haha.
11. Who on the team would you prefer to spend your vacation with?
- Filip Hållander.
12. Golf or padel?
- If you had asked me a year ago, I would have answered padel, but now it's golf without a doubt.
13. What are your goals in golf?
- I compete against myself. I have gone from 54 to 11.5 in handicap this summer. I want to work my way down even further.
14. What was the last movie you saw in the cinema?
- I guess it was Spider-Man.
15. How would you rate it?
- A nine.
16. If you were to change lives with a teammate for a day, who would it be?
- I would pick one of the older ones to see what it's like to be a dad. I say Niklas Olausson.
17. Who were you at school?
- The happy and mischievous guy.
18. A match-free Thursday night and you sit on the TV couch. Do you watch SHL or something else?
- There is a pretty big chance that I will watch SHL. It happens quite often like that, or that I play some video games.
19. If you are going to treat yourself to something, what do you buy then?
- I enjoy eating ice cream. I’ll go for ice cream.
20. What is your favorite ice cream?
- Magnum Strawberry White.”

Ice cream addiction. There we have it.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Gunler requested a trade because he wasn't getting ice time.

Hopefully he gets consistent top-6 minutes in Brynas.

Supposedly that’s what they promised him.

I was all for it as long as I only knew he was going there on a loan for the season, but apparently, he signed a contract for next season as well.

That, I don’t like at all.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Gunler scored his first Brynäs goal today. He gets more ice time 5 on 5 and even powerplay. Good thing he moved away from Luleå.

Reactions: hn777

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Gunler scored his first Brynäs goal today. He gets more ice time 5 on 5 and even powerplay. Good thing he moved away from Luleå.
To add: his ice time in Brynäs so far has been on average around 6:30 more than what he got in Luleå.

4 more minutes 5v5, and 2:30 on PP compared to 3 seconds.

Reactions: Dempsey

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Gunler already racking up the goals. He’s the most underrated and underutilized player from the 2020 draft. I think he’s in the midst of a coming out party here at the WJC.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Loaned to Kärpät in Liiga. Surprising that he didn't go back to SHL.

Some people thought that he might be a steal at the time of the draft, but his point totals don't seem to be anything special so far (18 points in 31 games in AHL last season).

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad