RW Niklas Nordgren - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2018, 74th, CHI)

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
huge tournament for him, was first scoring goals and made a winning goal in the final. late 1st round, similar situation as Tolvanen would be perfect with that size.

Reactions: Ippenator

paragon

May 5, 2010
Pretty crazy that a Finn has won the U18 goal scoring title now 4 times in a row. Laine, Tolvanen, Vesalainen and now Nordgren, not a bad company.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Pretty crazy that a Finn has won the U18 goal scoring title now 4 times in a row. Laine, Tolvanen, Vesalainen and now Nordgren, not a bad company.

Well you know what that mean. The only thing left is to guess who's next. Think my bet for the 2019 goes to Simontaival. Now lets be hopeful this isn't decade tied tradition. :D

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
How does Jiri Hudler sound as a comparable?
Honestly I don’t see much at all similarities between them. Nordgren is a very much goal scoring focused player whom plays very straightforwardly. Hudler has been more of a passer than a goal scorer, and he has looked a bit softish to me. I think also that Nordgren has more of the in your face attitude and he goes very straightforwardly and fearlessly to the best scoring areas. But he is also that small, that lets see if he can ever be a really efficient player in the NHL, if he ever gets there. It’s probably not impossible, but there can be definitely some doubts towards him because of his lack of size.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Honestly I don’t see much at all similarities between them. Nordgren is a very much goal scoring focused player whom plays very straightforwardly. Hudler has been more of a passer than a goal scorer, and he has looked a bit softish to me. I think also that Nordgren has more of the in your face attitude and he goes very straightforwardly and fearlessly to the best scoring areas. But he is also that small, that lets see if he can ever be a really efficient player in the NHL, if he ever gets there. It’s probably not impossible, but there can be definitely some doubts towards him because of his lack of size.
More like Prucha or Svatos then?

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
I must say that of the Finns in this year's draft I prefer Nordgren to Kotkaniemi and Kupari.

That's pretty bold. I've been higher on Nordgren than most services all season long, but the two centre prospects are far more complete players with pro-style tendencies.

Nordgren gives up size and isn't an explosive skater. That will make it difficult for him to translate his goalscoring ability at the next level.

I still like him early in round two though as the hope is with improved lower body strength, the quickness will improve.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Yeah, it's bold. Kotkaniemi and Kupari are safer bets, but I like Nordgren better offensively. I guess if I had my job on the line I'd take the safer bet, but as I am just a armchair scout with no accountability I'm going with the more dynamic guy.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finnish jr hockey (@FINjrhockey) | Twitter
Niklas Nordgren: Excellent stickhandling skills, can operate in tight spaces. Terrific vision allows to play a quick passing game, even with limited time and space. Reads the game well off the puck, aware of his defensive responsibilities. Great finisher. #HIFK #2018NHLDraft
DcMoqnFW0AALEsl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gsus

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He managed to endear himself to me at the U18's. I watched him a few times in Liiga this year and never came away with the idea that he'd be an NHL player. The talent is undeniable though, and at some point, not too far into the draft, the price is right. I thought his skating looked much better in this last tournament than earlier in the season, which is a pretty important development for him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He managed to endear himself to me at the U18's. I watched him a few times in Liiga this year and never came away with the idea that he'd be an NHL player. The talent is undeniable though, and at some point, not too far into the draft, the price is right. I thought his skating looked much better in this last tournament than earlier in the season, which is a pretty important development for him.
This is what I thought too, that his skating looked in fact pretty darn good in the U18 WJC. Was wondering why his skating has been criticized, because the dude was pretty much flying in almost every game and gaining nice separation with his skating. Probably he has been just able to fix his skating after the injuries he had earlier. Didn’t honestly look like him having any problems with his skating now. On the contrary, it looked like a real strength for him.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Well you know what that mean. The only thing left is to guess who's next. Think my bet for the 2019 goes to Simontaival. Now lets be hopeful this isn't decade tied tradition. :D
Sorru finlande only does well every other year :( 2020 is the year

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sorru finlande only does well every other year :( 2020 is the year
They were in the final already for the fourth year in a row. So not so bad every second year either, as they got then silver. Laine and Vesalainen were the best scorers in the silver medal teams, so it’s pretty much possible to happen even without winning the gold medals. I would also probably bet on Simontaival. Kakko might have a chance at it also though.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
They were in the final already for the fourth year in a row. So not so bad every second year either, as they got then silver. Laine and Vesalainen were the best scorers in the silver medal teams, so it’s pretty much possible to happen even without winning the gold medals. I would also probably bet on Simontaival. Kakko might have a chance at it also though.
Ah maybe it is u20's i am confusing it with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad