RW Nikita Scherbak - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2014, 26th, MTL; claimed by LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lesson: don’t draft players that are slow, soft and have poor work ethic.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Scherbak has so much talent but he probably has the lowest hockey IQ I’ve seen in a player for many years. He just couldn’t play in his own zone. What a waste of talent...

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
If you're actually paying attention to what's going on with him you'll know he was a slow developer in his AHL career, was inconsistent, showed flashes and was frustrated by injuries. This year, he turned a switch by ALL accounts from people who view Laval regularly. Responsible, 200-foot winger with great vision and PP skills. Putting up great numbers at 22 and already had a solid cup of coffee with the big club.

But you're "you are wrong" already tells me how open-minded you are about adapting to new data. Don't take my word for it. Talk to any of the AHL followers. But why bother when you can label him a bust shortly after his 22nd birthday?
This aged well

^I guess the future will tell. Right now he has 2 points in 2 games since being called up.

You’ll probably be eating crow in not too long.

Hes starving

Seems like he didn't get the memo he was a bust.

Just took awhile.

He got it now dw

I followed him bc he kicked ass for me in nhl 16 lol. Watching habs fans act so aggressive and ignore his obvious flaws for so long makes it kind of cathartic to see it turn out this way

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am really following what Bragin is doing with players. The Moan was real when he left Scherbak off the WJC roster. Seems like he knew something...

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He had tremendous potential, but it seems like he didn't want to put the necessary work to become a regular nhler. Too bad for him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Always funny when every time players who were killing it in juniors and just didnt pan out in the NHL are deemed as having low iq. Have you ever give a thought to the idea that its your sorry ass organizations that can't develop kids properly with their dumb playing philosophy and old fashioned/incompetent coaching?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Always funny when every time players who were killing it in juniors and just didnt pan out in the NHL are deemed as having low iq. Have you ever give a thought to the idea that its your sorry ass organizations that can't develop kids properly with their dumb playing philosophy and old fashioned/incompetent coaching?
There is certainly part of that, but at some point some of the responsibility has to be given to the player as well...

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
As noted, he has poor hockey IQ but his combination of size and skill which also translated into excellent AHL production made me believe and hope he can still figure it out at the NHL level. But man when he came into the camp last year he was just garbage in every facet of the game. I was still pissed when we waived him so soon after that but I guess I shouldn't have been. All the best for him in Russia though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would think some team will take a shot on him, only saw a little of his last game vs CSKA, they could have used him in the SO maybe they would have won.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

What IQ really means in this context is ability to process the speed of the game. Junior and even the AHL are slower than the NHL which is why a lot of guys who do very well at those levels just cannot make the leap, the speed of play is just too fast for their brain to process. Training and hard work can only partially help you here (better positioning, a bit more footspeed) make up for this. You see it in football too when great college QBs can't handle the NFL game speed.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What IQ really means in this context is ability to process the speed of the game. Junior and even the AHL are slower than the NHL which is why a lot of guys who do very well at those levels just cannot make the leap, the speed of play is just too fast for their brain to process. Training and hard work can only partially help you here (better positioning, a bit more footspeed) make up for this. You see it in football too when great college QBs can't handle the NFL game speed.

Nah, I don't think it's that simple. To be successful in any league, you gotta think the game faster, than other players, but there have been a lot of cases, when top AHL players couldn't make the NHL, while pretty average players could.

I think, the main reason is roles. When you play a top6 role in the AHL and come to the NHL, you all of a sudden find out, that all top6 spots are occupied, and there are only checking/grinder roles opened, and you are as good for these roles as Ferrari sport car good for off-road racing. And here your NHL dream comes to an end.

There is also coach issue. Most NHL coaches just don't care about adjusting their systems to new players. They think, it's new players, who must do adjusting, and if they don't or can't, bad for them, there always are other candidates. Dozens of them, actually.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The guy was only getting all those tryouts because he was a first rounder back then. Sadly it's the way it works. Some guys from later rounds probably deserved more chances all the way.

My secret recipe for evaluating prospects: ask Bragin. He seems to know what is to come way before everybody else.

On a side note: he was rumoured to have rented a through the roof expensive apartment in Moscow the day he signed in the KHL. Just another facet to his personality. He does not have that earn it first attitude.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
The guy was only getting all those tryouts because he was a first rounder back then. Sadly it's the way it works. Some guys from later rounds probably deserved more chances all the way.

My secret recipe for evaluating prospects: ask Bragin. He seems to know what is to come way before everybody else.

On a side note: he was rumoured to have rented a through the roof expensive apartment in Moscow the day he signed in the KHL. Just another facet to his personality. He does not have that earn it first attitude.
You forgot to mention his recent turn to veganism))

Nikita "I met my wife and became independent" Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad