RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Best case scenario, he ends up elite like Kucherov and Kaprizov.

Ovechkin and Malkin are different animals. Ovechkin's blend of passion, size, durability, scoring ability, and it factor come along once or twice in a lifetime. The only other who could historically match Ovie is Gordie Howe. Other players of his ilk like Lindros, Neely, Nash, etc. simply didn't possess his level of durability and raw passion. Comparing any Russian prospect -- or any prospect for that matter -- to Ovechkin is doing them a great disservice.

Malkin is also a rare combination of size and skill. He was also blessed to play with one of the likely Top 20 players in hockey history in Crosby. The stars aligned perfectly for Geno, other than his injuries.

That said, if Michkov ends up a blend between Kucherov, Kaprizov and Tarasenko, he'll be an elite player who can complete change a franchise and contend for a scoring title annually. Hard to pass on that kind of player.

Michkov's IQ is probably the best ever amongst Russian players. He's somehow always where he should be to score - we call it goal sense (or sense for goal) in Russian. None of those guys had such a quality. Add to this his elite shot, edge work and stickhandling, and you'll get a pretty unique combination.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Michkov's IQ is probably the best ever amongst Russian players. He's somehow always where he should be to score. None of those guys had such a quality. Add to this his elite shot, edge work and stickhandling, and you'll get a pretty unique combination.
You mean modern day, yes? Because Petrov, Makarov and Larionov had hockey minds like no other.

Even modern day, I'd say Kucherov's brain is as great as anyone. Kovalev and Mogilny a little while back as well.

Until the kid can toy with elite NHL talent the way those guys have, it's truly impossible to say he's "the best ever" among Russian players in anything, no?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You mean modern day, yes? Because Petrov, Makarov and Larionov had hockey minds like no other.

Even modern day, I'd say Kucherov's brain is as great as anyone. Kovalev and Mogilny a little while back as well.

Until the kid can toy with elite NHL talent the way those guys have, it's truly impossible to say he's "the best ever" among Russian players in anything, no?

Can't you say the same about any prospect, Bedard including though?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Just making my daily post to pray that he drops to the Habs if we don’t win the lottery

If any scouts are reading: he’s not coming to North America he is going to be held hostage by a reanimated Lenin

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Need to bookmark this post to find it when we'll hear this phrase from Kent Hughes on the draft day.
Gonna bet we hear this a lot if ESPN is hosting the draft again. :rolleyes:

seriously whoever allowed ESPN to host the draft with that crew should be fired. they were so bad last year that i'm already awaiting the bullcrap on how they talk about Michkov

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's gonna be such a pest. Provoked a dude after a whistle to get mad so that dude got double minor and Sochi scored winning goal. That was not in Soviet hockey traditions for sure but NA public love such behavior.

Will Scouch is too busy cracking numbers, sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's gonna be such a pest. Provoked a dude after a whistle to get mad so that dude got double minor and Sochi scored winning goal. That was not in Soviet hockey traditions for sure but NA public love such behavior.
Don Cherry probably could have some choice words for that. Pest behavior is good but if he takes it too far? oh boy.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's not just about IQ but everything. Still people called Crosby generational as a prospect, then McDavids, now Bedard...

You guys are talking over each other. I think you meant to say that among Russian prospects historically, Michkov's IQ is the best, not that he has the best IQ all-time including Russian professionals.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You guys are talking over each other. I think you meant to say that among Russian prospects historically, Michkov's IQ is the best, not that he has the best IQ all-time including Russian professionals.

Man, if the kid shows the best statistics ever and is 5'8, 160 then there is something in him nobody had before. Shot? Well, Ovechkin's was at the very least not worse. Physical and skating? Yeah, good joke. Then what? IQ is the only explanation even if you don't watch him playing...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Best case scenario, he ends up elite like Kucherov and Kaprizov.

Ovechkin and Malkin are different animals. Ovechkin's blend of passion, size, durability, scoring ability, and it factor come along once or twice in a lifetime. The only other who could historically match Ovie is Gordie Howe. Other players of his ilk like Lindros, Neely, Nash, etc. simply didn't possess his level of durability and raw passion. Comparing any Russian prospect -- or any prospect for that matter -- to Ovechkin is doing them a great disservice.

Malkin is also a rare combination of size and skill. He was also blessed to play with one of the likely Top 20 players in hockey history in Crosby. The stars aligned perfectly for Geno, other than his injuries.

That said, if Michkov ends up a blend between Kucherov, Kaprizov and Tarasenko, he'll be an elite player who can complete change a franchise and contend for a scoring title annually. Hard to pass on that kind of player.

I mean I agree he could end up as one and why if he’s at 4 a Gm should be jumping on joy.

That just doesn’t make him a generational European prospect.

Draft is the only place basically where franchise C’s are available for most of the teams in this race so it would be incredible difficult for a Gm to pass on one of them for Michkov though.
At 4 he’s awesome value, at 2-3 Gm is taking a massive gamble

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I mean I agree he could end up as one and why if he’s at 4 a Gm should be jumping on joy.

That just doesn’t make him a generational European prospect.

Draft is the only place basically where franchise C’s are available for most of the teams in this race so it would be incredible difficult for a Gm to pass on one of them for Michkov though.
At 4 he’s awesome value, at 2-3 Gm is taking a massive gamble

Didn't stop the Capitals from taking Ovechkin with Malkin right there. Didn't stop the Hawks from taking Patrick Kane with Kyle Turris right there. Sometimes the winger is just simply the best player.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Didn't stop the Capitals from taking Ovechkin with Malkin right there. Didn't stop the Hawks from taking Patrick Kane with Kyle Turris right there. Sometimes the winger is just simply the best player.

& if he didn’t have his KHL contract as we’ve talked here things would be seen different.
It’s not my fault he’s locked up longterm in the KHL.

Kyle Turris isn’t a franchise C and Malkin has meant more to winning hockey games than Ovy.
Playoff prime Malkin is an absolute monster.

This league runs through the middle.
Yeah Kaprizov is awesome but they aren’t seen as one of the contenders because of?
Don’t have a franchise C

For example this should be the last time Columbus picks high for a long time.
Let’s say they have a pick with where they can either pick Carlsson or Michkov.
How are they finding that franchise level C if they pass on Carlsson at that point?

This league runs through the middle and if there’s an elite C prospect available it’s about impossible to pass up on

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Kane to Turris example is a real poor one as Kane scored at a higher rate in the OHL than Turris did in the BCJHL.

Ovi/Malkin probably would have been much closer historically but then Malkin has had injury problems.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
& if he didn’t have his KHL contract as we’ve talked here things would be seen different.
It’s not my fault he’s locked up longterm in the KHL.

Kyle Turris isn’t a franchise C and Malkin has meant more to winning hockey games than Ovy.
Playoff prime Malkin is an absolute monster.

This league runs through the middle.
Yeah Kaprizov is awesome but they aren’t seen as one of the contenders because of?
Don’t have a franchise C

For example this should be the last time Columbus picks high for a long time.
Let’s say they have a pick with where they can either pick Carlsson or Michkov.
How are they finding that franchise level C if they pass on Carlsson at that point?

This league runs through the middle and if there’s an elite C prospect available it’s about impossible to pass up on

The Russian Factor stuff I acknowledge. It's a legitimate issue, but that's not what I was responding to.

Regarding Kyle Turris not being a franchise C, you know this now in hindsight. No one knew that at the time. It's also silly to assume that either of Carlsson/Fantilli are franchise Cs. To me they look like potential scoring line players, not necessarily franchise Cs. You're just assuming they're franchise Cs because that's what your foresight tells you. But hindsight might tell us otherwise.

Michkov has generationally elite metrics. Bedard does too. Fantilli and Carlsson don't have anything approaching that. Taking a C over a W makes sense when all things are equal, otherwise it's potentially a big mistake.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Russian Factor stuff I acknowledge. It's a legitimate issue, but that's not what I was responding to.

Regarding Kyle Turris not being a franchise C, you know this now in hindsight. No one knew that at the time. It's also silly to assume that either of Carlsson/Fantilli are franchise Cs. To me they look like potential scoring line players, not necessarily franchise Cs. You're just assuming they're franchise Cs because that's what your foresight tells you. But hindsight might tell us otherwise.

Michkov has generationally elite metrics. Bedard does too. Fantilli and Carlsson don't have anything approaching that. Taking a C over a W makes sense when all things are equal, otherwise it's potentially a big mistake.

It’s not a ”Russian factor”, it’s a contract issue.

& no, Michkov isn’t a generational prospect.

Every prospecr class is different, this is a drafr with 3 elite franchise C’s, including one atleast borderline generational prospect.

If you want to win in these league you need a legit 1C and nobody wants to trade those so by far your best chance is to try to draft one.

So passing up on a elite C prospect for winger who’s signed longterm in the KHL is damm risky.
Good chance that Gm who made the pick is gone by the time Michkov enters the league

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If you say so

Barkov/Laine/Dahlin/Michkov are on the same draft.

My money is on Michkov being selected last

It’s funny how Bedard has to go to the moon and back to back up generational status and Michkov just gets it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad