RW Matthew Wood – UConn, NCAA (2023, 15th, NSH)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The field. Gimme Michkov, Dvorsky, Fantilli, Musty, Ritchie, Stenberg, etc. The top end is not far off but the depth is way better.

Obviously the depth is way better but for first round talent this draft is one for the ages for Western Canada and it's an open question.

Reactions: Al48

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wood is an absolute stud, I live minutes from the Q Center and have caught only 5 games this year but he, Rickwood and Connor Eddy IMO will all be NHL players one day, Wood plays heavy, takes crap from nobody. Will need to work on skating but I don`t worry about that, he`s a coachable young man and he`ll put the work in

Wood will be but the other 2 are real longshots being 19 year old players in the BCHL and the obvious beneficiaries of playing with a talent like Wood.

I'd actually be surprised if either one of them even became a star in the AHL to be honest.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wood will be but the other 2 are real longshots being 19 year old players in the BCHL and the obvious beneficiaries of playing with a talent like Wood.

I'd actually be surprised if either one of them even became a star in the AHL to be honest.
agreed, notice I didn`t mention the other two being stars, I do think both could be in the category of serviceable, Wood has special written all over him, there hasn`t been a game I`ve seen live where he hasn`t been the best player on the ice and that includes the tilt last night where he only snagged one assist but he was the straw that stirred every play

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Wood is an absolute stud, I live minutes from the Q Center and have caught only 5 games this year but he, Rickwood and Connor Eddy IMO will all be NHL players one day, Wood plays heavy, takes crap from nobody. Will need to work on skating but I don`t worry about that, he`s a coachable young man and he`ll put the work in

I was wondering why no one took a 6th or 7th rounder on Rickwood. He was overaged but he was the best player in the BCHL last year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Obviously the depth is way better but for first round talent this draft is one for the ages for Western Canada and it's an open question.

No one area or country is ever a good bet against the field. It’s not like Western Canada has three Gretzky’s in this draft. A few of the guys discussed as top prospects a year and a half before the draft probably don’t even end up good NHL’ers. Always take the field.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No one area or country is ever a good bet against the field. It’s not like Western Canada has three Gretzky’s in this draft. A few of the guys discussed as top prospects a year and a half before the draft probably don’t even end up good NHL’ers. Always take the field.

Sure overall you are right and probably even for the first round as well but let us in Western Canada at least dream a little about what could possibly be our best draft ever (at least in the first round that is).

Prospect wise I can't think of one that looks as good for the first round in recent memory.

Reactions: Dominance

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Really wonder if he goes USHL next season , personally I hope he goes to challenge himself further

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Really wonder if he goes USHL next season , personally I hope he goes to challenge himself further

He really needs to go to a better league to challenge himself in a very strong draft year IMO.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Has this ever happened? A Junior A guy going to the USHL?

A bit more likely he decides to join Bedard in the WHL.

Not sure how rare it is, only example I can think of off the top of my head is Patrick Weircioch going from the BCHL to the USHL in his draft year and being taken in the second round of the NHL draft. Probably quite a few examples out there though.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Not sure how rare it is, only example I can think of off the top of my head is Patrick Weircioch going from the BCHL to the USHL in his draft year and being taken in the second round of the NHL draft. Probably quite a few examples out there though.

Thanks for the info!

In regards to Wood, I think he's fine in the BCHL. He'll have to carry his team next year without Rickwood/Eddy, which would be a good test.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

It happens for sure among lower-mid tier Canadian prospects but the higher tear Canadian players playing Jr.A in Canada usually end up staying until they're NCAA eligible ( McBain, Newhook, Makar etc ).

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
To put his performance in context, he already has more goals in 23 games than Newhook, Johnson and Jost had in their 16 year old seasons.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

If he wants to play college then CHL isn't an option, since it's considered a "professional" league...lol.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another 2G, 1A performance this afternoon. Laid a beating on the Powell River Kings 15 - 1 this weekend.

First to 30 in the league.

Shout out to Ellis Rickwood, who had 2G, 3A himself.

I still have no idea on how to rank him among 23 draft eligible prospects, seems like a first rounder but there are so many good players performing in better leagues with excellent skillsets.

Maybe next season when and if he plays at a higher level we might get a better idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad