RW Matthew Wood – UConn, NCAA (2023, 15th, NSH)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think if all goes perfect he tops out as an average skater, he will never be above average. His stride is short and choppy. Skating stride, after hockey IQ, is the hardest aspect to improve in hockey. Theres been 10+ years of muscle memory up to this point that its next to impossible to change. Edgework, agility, explosiveness can be improved
In Hockey Prospect's black book they talk about him having a bit of knock knee. So hes already fighting an uphill battle with his skating. Will likely never become pretty.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think if all goes perfect he tops out as an average skater, he will never be above average. His stride is short and choppy. Skating stride, after hockey IQ, is the hardest aspect to improve in hockey. Theres been 10+ years of muscle memory up to this point that its next to impossible to change. Edgework, agility, explosiveness can be improved
A big reason for shorter strides is lack of lower body maturity. As his legs fill out he will be able to change his stride.

Look at how much Tavares improved his skating stride. It's absolutely a thing that can be improved.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
A big reason for shorter strides is lack of lower body maturity. As his legs fill out he will be able to change his stride.

Look at how much Tavares improved his skating stride. It's absolutely a thing that can be improved.
Tavares stride improved over time but his skating is still average to below average. It is what ultimately held him back from being a top 5 player in the league. He checked off every other box as a prospect. Also, Tavares skating is worlds better as an 18 year old than Wood's is

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
He's also has one of the best shots in the draft. Though I question if his skating will ever become anything better than above average.
I was being facetious lol. He's got decent hands, a really heavy shot but people are literally out here comparing him to Mark Stone lmao. There's a reason why a lot of final scouting reports have him late first round. His game isn't mature enough and everybody is banking on the worst skater in the first round to somehow become an above average skater at the NHL level lol.

Reactions: Hollel

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I think "changing his stride" is a stretch. Can he get faster? A bit more explosive? Possibly, but his skating will never be a strength. It will be an aspect of the game that he will have to work around in order to be a success at the NHL level. The model here is Jason Robertson. As ugly a skater as there is in the NHL but someone who uses his size and smarts to compensate.

Reactions: Blueston

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I was being facetious lol. He's got decent hands, a really heavy shot but people are literally out here comparing him to Mark Stone lmao. There's a reason why a lot of final scouting reports have him late first round. His game isn't mature enough and everybody is banking on the worst skater in the first round to somehow become an above average skater at the NHL level lol.
You mean drafted in the 6th round Mark Stone?

Mark Stone wasn't Mark Stone when he was drafted either...

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think "changing his stride" is a stretch. Can he get faster? A bit more explosive? Possibly, but his skating will never be a strength. It will be an aspect of the game that he will have to work around in order to be a success at the NHL level. The model here is Jason Robertson. As ugly a skater as there is in the NHL but someone who uses his size and smarts to compensate.
A good example here is Brian Boyle. He was a terrible skater when drafted. He was a terrible skater his entire career. But he found a way to be effective at the next level albeit being in a 3/4 line role. I see him pretty similar to Wood as draft eligibles, Wood having a more well rounded offensive game

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A good example here is Brian Boyle. He was a terrible skater when drafted. He was a terrible skater his entire career. But he found a way to be effective at the next level albeit being in a 3/4 line role. I see him pretty similar to Wood as draft eligibles, Wood having a more well rounded offensive game
I mention Robertson because Wood has a very good offensive package. I think he can be *more* than a Brian Boyle but there are no guarantees.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Mark Stone is still an average skater but he is smart and use all of his frame and reach to his advantage. I think Wood could reach that level too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No one is like Stone. Best stick the league has ever seen.

Robertson is a much better comparable, even if it's not perfect.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Stone also uses his size to throw hits and push people around. I haven't seen that at all in Wood's game.
Are you comparing a fully developed veteran to a prospect? How does he compare to what Stone was as a prospect?

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Are you comparing a fully developed veteran to a prospect? How does he compare to what Stone was as a prospect?

I don't know much about Stone as a prospect.

I'm also not using Stone as a comparable, just saying he's not a useful comparable.

I've always compared Wood to a slower version of Laine.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Stone is a difficult comparison to make for anyone, and I don't think Wood has that upside, but when I watch him on the ice & how he moves he just looks like Stone without the defensive game.

Gunna be fascinating where he goes, he's a tough prospect to project.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know how Wood will translate to the NHL or if there’s any current NHL comparable but his talent level is intriguing enough I’d take the chance and just see if he can figure it out.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hockey East and the NCHC mirror the AHL more than any North American development circuit. Big-10 is all run and gun now. Wood is built for the NHL. How high he hits is the question. Elite hands and vision. Quick release. Game is no longer played in the NZ. If he loses a foot race or lags on a play, he anticipates and picks off breakout attempts and starts the possession. Very smart player. Did better than Brady Tkachuk’s freshman year that’s for sure.

Speed is so overrated here.

It’s one thing if an entire team lacks speed. But having a slow scoring forward here and there means very little on the outcome of the game. Speed is what got Rico Fata and Zach Senyshyn drafted high. Both had 10-cent heads. Joe Thornton and Jagr were putting up good numbers past 35 and they were slow as shit. Jagr nearly won a Hart by scoring from static positions. Hands, release, accuracy.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
For those wondering, nearly all of Wood’s goals were bombs or lasers. Had double the number of primary assists to secondary, and only a few weren’t legit timing plays or rebounds from his slapper. No cheapies. Plays with zero pace but he doesn’t have to. Sometimes he gets behind the defense but not often. Considering his BCHL and HE seasons and the last U18’s he’s prolly going no lower than 15 or 20. Physical too but timely hits not a headhunter.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Hockey East and the NCHC mirror the AHL more than any North American development circuit. Big-10 is all run and gun now. Wood is built for the NHL. How high he hits is the question. Elite hands and vision. Quick release. Game is no longer played in the NZ. If he loses a foot race or lags on a play, he anticipates and picks off breakout attempts and starts the possession. Very smart player. Did better than Brady Tkachuk’s freshman year that’s for sure.

It’s one thing if an entire team lacks speed. But having a slow scoring forward here and there means very little on the outcome of the game. Speed is what got Rico Fata and Zach Senyshyn drafted high. Both had 10-cent heads. Joe Thornton and Jagr were putting up good numbers past 35 and they were slow as shit. Jagr nearly won a Hart by scoring from static positions. Hands, release, accuracy.
You can't claim speed doesn't matter and then compare that to upper echelon Hall of Fame players. Not to mention Joe Thornton actually did fall off a cliff once his speed disappeared so I also think it's a bad comparison.

The reason why speed matters is for two reasons: one being that come playoff time the game becomes a different animal and the pace picks up twice as much and two being that if you don't have it you're more than likely relegated to being a powerplay guy.

Speed is especially important for somebody who is a goal scorer. If you can't get time and space to get your shot off you end up from a guy who has the capabilities of being a 40 goal scorer to somebody possibly 20 and under. Look at guys like Boeser, Tarasenko, etc. Once they got slower their goal scoring dipped significantly.

Would you want a powerplay guy if you're drafting top 10? Is it worth a gamble to take him in the top 15? All these questions have to be asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZDH and Hollel

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

You don't have to be a burner to be a very good NHL player. The issue with Wood though is he is a very poor skater overall. Not just outright speed but technique and mechanics. That will be a barrier to overcome at the NHL level.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad