RW Matthew Coronato - Calgary Wranglers, AHL (2021, 13th, CGY)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Wonder if Montreal scouting him extra with Farrell there. Likely going to be available at their pick.

Not anymore.

With the habs falling to 28th minimum, Coronato will be long gone.

He was my secret wish for this years draft. :(

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
"Coronato on Blackhawks’ radar"

- by Chicago Sun Times

Matthew Coronato, Sean Behrens headline Chicago-connected prospects preparing for NHL Draft

--

A New York native, Coronato arrived in Chicago before this season brimming with confidence.
That translated into his performance, as his point production more than doubled from his first Steel season. He finished with 85 points (48 goals and 37 assists) in 51 games, ranking second on the team, and added a team-leading 13 points in eight playoff games.

“[I was] just continuing to work on my shot, work on the movement that our team liked to use in the offensive zone,” he said. “But a big part of my offensive production was a result of confidence.”

Coronato also improved defensively, staying goal-side of opposing forwards and using his stick to break up plays. But his biggest assets are his energy and motor; he’s constantly moving on the ice and therefore constantly noticeable.

His draft stock surged up from a projected third or fourth-round pick to a nearly certain first-round selection. He finished ninth among North American skaters in the final CSS rankings.

He’ll most likely go between 10th and 20th overall, which puts him on the Blackhawks’ radar for the 11th pick. He certainly wouldn’t mind being chosen by his adopted hometown team.

“I love Chicago,” he said. “I loved being here the last two years. The Blackhawks are a special team and organization,
so that would definitely be a great spot to end up.”

This summer, he plans to work on his skating and strength — he measures at 5-10, 180 pounds right now, but hopes to get to between 185 and 187 pounds

--

I know that no one wants to read this guys analysis's but...

Craig Button's Analysis

"Impact player with a high skill level. He has the desire to make a difference and
the ability to deliver in the critical and demanding moments."

Comparable: Alex DeBrincat

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You can't teach his goal-scoring ability. Surprised he isn't talked about more or ranked higher. Definite 1st round talent IMO.

He already have pretty much what it takes to be a productive top6 NHL forward. He just needs time to bulk up and improve/understand some of the smaller details in the game, which he'll have plenty of time to do in college and especially at Harvard. 2-3 years there and he should be good to go.

I don't think he has the highest upside in the second half of the 1st round but I think he's a very safe pick and a guy you know you'll get 20 goals a year from pretty much.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He’s going to be good, I suspect he’ll be one of those guys people will wonder why he didn’t go higher.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Kevin Roy at 18 had 61 goals, 54 + 7 in the playoffs. He had 114 pts 104 + 10 in the playoffs.

Steve MasSwain at 17 had 69 goals, 60 + 9 in the playoffs, he had 142 pts 122 + 20 in the playoffs.

I believe Roy did that as an overager in his second year of draft eligibility. I don't think its comparable.

Last edited:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I believe Roy did that as an overager in his second year of draft eligibility. I don't think its comparable.

That is correct however the age difference relative to draft year between the two is just six months. As a long time USHL follower, this Coronato season is among the most impressive I can recall however I do also think he played on one of the most talented teams in league history. There are a lot of future NHL'ers on that Chicago roster from this past season. Coronato is very talented but I am still interested to see how he does when the playing field is leveled a little bit and he is not on a dominant roster.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not really high on this kid/potential. Reminds me somewhere between Vatrano/Donato. 5'10, not the fastest skater but has nose for the net/

I get the reason why he is ranked so high (USHL stats). But need to see if it translates to the NCAA level

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Not really high on this kid/potential. Reminds me somewhere between Vatrano/Donato. 5'10, not the fastest skater but has nose for the net/

I get the reason why he is ranked so high (USHL stats). But need to see if it translates to the NCAA level

I am kinda begging to differ on this case.

I see him as potential goal scorer who plays on second line in NHL with solid complimentary playmaking skills and good enough skating.

He screams something what would fit to Sens(#10) draft profile. They tend to like nasty hard working guys with good upside.

They need goal scoring pretty much since they probably found their top 2 centers (Norris/Pinto), Coronato could be nice fit to play with somebody like Stutzle. Coronato/Pinto/Stutzle could be fun line for the Sens future. Coronato doing goal scoring, Pinto being 2 way defensive guy and Stutzle is the main playmaker.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Except there are people who say he might be the next Brad Marchand, a slightly taller version.
- a version who scores more goals

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Except there are people who say he might be the next Brad Marchand, a slightly taller version.
- a version who scores more goals

Marchand avg 35 goal per season (last 7 years). And almost had a few 40 goal campaigns

And Coronato is going to eclipse this?? So he is the next 40 plus goal scorer at the nhl level?

Thats quite the prediction

Reactions: majormajor

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I see more Debrincat than Vatrano/Donato myself, but time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad