RW Martin Kaut (2018, 16th, COL)

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Anyone else see a little bit of Hossa in his game?

I think he's got a lot of Pastrnak. When he was drafted Pastrnak wasn't as quick or as good of a scorer as he is now, but you could see the underlying skill, smarts and mature confidence with the puck. 2- way player. Right-shot winger. Kaut has those same qualities. Should be a top 10 pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think he's got a lot of Pastrnak. When he was drafted Pastrnak wasn't as quick or as good of a scorer as he is now, but you could see the underlying skill, smarts and mature confidence with the puck. 2- way player. Right-shot winger. Kaut has those same qualities. Should be a top 10 pick.
Yeah he really should be a top 10 pick. I wouldn't be surprised if a team took him that high.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Before Kaut starts lighting it up I would like to be the first to say I was first aboard the hype train when I told everyone (in the GDT) before the Czech’s first game on the of WJC to keep an eye on Kaut
*mostly kidding

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I like the Hossa comparison. Pastrňák, not so much. Pasta was rather smallish as a prospect, there were concerns about his physical play and durability. Kaut is really strong for his age. He's not as flashy as Pastrňák either.

I don't know about this. I remember Pastrňák as a flashy little winger who would go one-on-one against anyone on the ice, was oozing with speed and skill but also made a lot of mistakes, was a bit tiny and tactically unrefined. Kaut is a lot more composed, makes very few mistakes and fixes it immediately if he does make one, has no problem with physical play, and is already good to very good at everything he does. And all this against professional players with vast experience. He's a very well-rounded prospect with a low bust potential imo, though probably not as naturally talented as Pastrňák.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah he really should be a top 10 pick. I wouldn't be surprised if a team took him that high.
I'd love that... 2 Czechs in Top 10 of draft. Whenever I look at Button, Mackenzie or Sportsnet rankings he barely cracks the Top 30. Hope this isn't the case.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd love that... 2 Czechs in Top 10 of draft. Whenever I look at Button, Mackenzie or Sportsnet rankings he barely cracks the Top 30. Hope this isn't the case.
Sorta like Chytil last year. Great player, but was underrated by almost everyone except the Rangers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And then Chytil outplayed Anderson who they took earlier in the first round. It was great!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Sorta like Chytil last year. Great player, but was underrated by almost everyone except the Rangers.
Hopefully the same happens this year and the Rangers take him in the 20s and laugh their ass off next year
I could see Kaut being a target considering we lack winger prospects and RW/RHS is a need

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Top 10 is bit of a stretch, but top 20 should be doable. Either way, there's no way he goes in the 2nd round.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
He has the same draft value as Kotkaniemi Veleno Hayton for me. A clear top 15 pick!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder what he's going to measure in at at the NHL combine. He looks much bigger than that 6'1, 174 lbs listing. Has to be around 6'2, 190 lbs at least, maybe 6'3 even.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Made the final roster for the Czech World Championship team... Zadina did not. :sarcasm:

Not a fan of cutting Zadina personally but I think Kaut has more of a 2 way game and that is why he made it. His stock needs to keep rising.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Not a fan of cutting Zadina personally but I think Kaut has more of a 2 way game and that is why he made it. His stock needs to keep rising.
Kaut is also a very hard worker who can get his hands dirty. Zadina will coast a bit at times (mostly defensively)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's still perplexing that people aren't even ranking him in the first round. I assume that'll change once we get to the draft and everyone finalizes their rankings.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's still perplexing that people aren't even ranking him in the first round. I assume that'll change once we get to the draft and everyone finalizes their rankings.
Yeah i got him in my top 15

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A good write-up but I find the bit "he doesn’t do well with physical play" rather inappropriate. Not an aggressive hitter of course but his strength is well above-average for an 18 year old prospect and he doesn't seem to have troubles holding his own along the boards.

I tend to agree with you but I've seen a couple of games (against men) where he's been muscled off the puck a lot and a little too easily. So there is definitely room for improvement there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad