RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Looks to be exceeding expectations so far, going to make quite the difference when VAN can insert him into their lineup. Somebody that can do it all and do it well.

I think k scouts and teams were aware of his skillset and talent.

The fact that he was signed to a Russian contract for 2 years after his draft might have scared some teams off though.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think k scouts and teams were aware of his skillset and talent.

The fact that he was signed to a Russian contract for 2 years after his draft might have scared some teams off though.

To be honest, Vancouver should have selected a different prospect, but we can't travel back in time.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
To be honest, Vancouver should have selected a different prospect, but we can't travel back in time.

Who would be your pick last year? I wanted Boldy but in hingsight, I just completely overlooked him because we never drraft Russians and he was supposed to be gone by the 10th pick. I think he's exactly what we lack and need. He has JT intangibles and a physicality and tenacity that no one on our top 6 has.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Who would be your pick last year? I wanted Boldy but in hingsight, I just completely overlooked him because we never drraft Russians and he was supposed to be gone by the 10th pick. I think he's exactly what we lack and need. He has JT intangibles and a physicality and tenacity that no one on our top 6 has.

Boldy was whom I've expected them to pick. Agile and physical, despite his size. He's definitely the top, or, at least, the depth guy we need.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Boldy was whom I've expected them to pick. Agile and physical, despite his size. He's definitely the top, or, at least, the depth guy we need.

What do you see Podkolzin as?

I would have taken Podkolzin as high as 6 at the draft, behind Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Turcotte. Maybe Cozens as well. I do see him as a better fit than Boldy or Zegras at this point.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
That doesn't mean the Canucks should have done the same. Thankfully for the Wild, Boldy has rebounded considerably after a horrible start, but I wouldn't say he's doing anything to make the Canucks regret their decision.

Not saying Podkolzin is bad, but just my two and a quarter cents.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think this guy is going to be a home run, he plays balls-to-the-wall in a way I've never seen a guy his size play. He's elevated his game in the KHL, dominant on the puck against men. Wrecks havoc on the ice for the opponent every second of every shift, and he makes plays too.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think this guy is going to be a home run, he plays balls-to-the-wall in a way I've never seen a guy his size play. He's elevated his game in the KHL, dominant on the puck against men. Wrecks havoc on the ice for the opponent every second of every shift, and he makes plays too.
He'll be a welcome addition to our core, which is a bit soft right now and struggling with the rigors of the NHL home stretch.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
how does KHL playoffs work?

Canucks have never really had a top prospect in the KHL so ive never followed the league as closely as this year
Just like they used to be in the NHL. 1st against 8th in this particular case. Due to more disparity in the KHL the 1st ŕound for the 1st and 2nd in conference is more or less a walk with very rare upsets. And Vityaz the 8th team has lost Syomin who is their captain and most skilled guy right before the playoffs. Makes it a pretty lopsided series.

From the 2nd round on there will be no giveaways though. Even if SKA and CSKA are supposed to meet in the WCF there can be upsets and/or at least very tough series.

Also the game gets tougher in the playoffs just as in the NHL. In recent years I would even say that KHL playoffs are more physical than the NHL ones.

I am eager to see how the SKA kids will hold up. Especially as they are in the other conference :)

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Love

Feb 29, 2012

I personally would’ve taken Newhook but I like Podkolzin and you’re right about him bringing something rare to a top 6. Something we don’t have. Although I think you can say the same about Newhook. Nobody in our top 6 has his speed and skating ability.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think many are forgetting that Pod was #3 on many scout's lists. He was considered a steal at #10.
playing with men is a different deal. Even playing in the ECHL is tough, never mind the KHL. Pod will likely hit the ground running when he finally gets in the NHL. Unlike some other minor league prospects, he's not limited by size, speed, or strength.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Podz with a goal for SKA St Petersburg in game 2. 1G- 1A in 1.5 games in the playoffs

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Podkolzin has put together a very impressive D+1 season as an 18 YO, and is really starting to put it together in the KHL. He should be NHL ready after next season, and step right into the Canucks roster.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Wow I really wanted this kid at the draft and was hoping he’d fall. Based on the few reports here it looks like he is certainly a bust and can’t even get playing time because his coach knows it. Very unfortunate that he is only 18 and already trending downwards.

Totally. RIP Vasili Podkolzin, declared bust at the scene. He was only 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad