RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Overrated as hell. Literally from one tournament in August. It’s weird. Not in my top ten.
Production in Russia already got me questioning him and watching him in these international games has clarified that he isn’t even close to being a high-end franchise changing prospect

Reactions: bigdog16

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Overrated as hell. Literally from one tournament in August. It’s weird. Not in my top ten.
Production in Russia already got me questioning him and watching him in these international games has clarified that he isn’t even close to being a high-end franchise changing prospect

Which games have you watched? Watching the one right now?

Reactions: truthbluth

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yeah, I have no idea what player people are watching. Podkolzin has been dominant this game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yeah, I have no idea what player people are watching. Podkolzin has been dominant this game.

He’s been looking great so far. That assist was beautiful. I don’t think people actually watch him play more than a game or two before opining.

He hasn’t played more than a handful of games with each team this season, and never gets a ton of minutes because he’s so young. When he plays against people his own age he seems to dominate.

With so little data, you really need to scrutinize his play in each game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not the one right now no. I’ve seen him play in around 10-15 games, and he’s never struck me as a top 5 player. In my opinion a 10-20 pick talent

With which team was he playing when you saw him? Hard to see what he can do when he’s playing 9 minutes against guys much older than him, with no PP time.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Podkolzin has been fine. Outstanding work and decision making in all three zones. Clean puck control in entries and along the wall. Pinpoint passes. One play in particular that stood out was outpositioning the bigger Boldy and winning the battle to come away with the puck. Not to mention a spin pass on the tape with his back turned that was wired home by Amirov.

The truth is, people who hate on him statwatched all season except for the WJC’s and now this game. They’ve anchored themselves to the belief that his stats mean he’s overrated even though he paced for a 30-goal season in the MHL. And the reason he wasn’t there for a full season was SKA determined he was too good for it.

Don’t mind people having a difference of opinion but a lot of the reports on aspects of his game are incredibly misleading.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
With which team was he playing when you saw him? Hard to see what he can do when he’s playing 9 minutes against guys much older than him, with no PP time.
With the U18s, U19s and U20s. Never really shown what I expect from a top5 pick. A good player, but nothing that special, worth the high pick, IN MY OPINION.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
With the U18s, U19s and U20s. Never really shown what I expect from a top5 pick. A good player, but nothing that special, worth the high pick, IN MY OPINION.

I don’t think I’d take him in the top 5 either but the way you frame your arguments makes it seem like you’re focusing on his scoring stats and not his actual play.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I don’t think I’d take him in the top 5 either but the way you frame your arguments makes it seem like you’re focusing on his scoring stats and not his actual play.
His production hasn’t been good which showcases the fact that he is nowhere near the offensive dynamo at higher levels of play. Just doesn’t posess that skillset that makes you go ”wow”

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Well I disagree. His game is built for the NHL. Can make plays in tight, takes great angles in zone exits and entries, protects the puck like a player 30 lbs heavier, has a great shot, is relentless on the forecheck. He’s like a Brendan Gallagher/Vincent Trochek hybrid. I would take him 3rd.

Reactions: cgf and archimet

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His assist today was pretty "wow".
A fine assist, but not something I'd call "wow" for sure. But well, you'll see what you want to see. His performance in this tournament isn't exactly surprising me.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
You can tell who actually watches hockey and who just has eliteprospects premium in this thread

Not sure I would expect someone with "Finnish" in their name to be not biased about a Russian prospect lol. Think he is a very good talent. Reminds me of Drai.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still can't understand why he is ranked so high... a complete mystery.
Yea I am too....from what I gathers he busts his ass and plays each shift at 150%,but where are the results? (i know stats dont tell everything but they are extremely underwhelming for someone ranked 3.)

edit - just saw that assist, i'd call it "wow".

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His team was badly outplayed, but I thought all the US forwards projected to be picked in the top 20 looked better than he did. You can't fault a player where their team is badly outplayed and they get a nice assist, but I didn't think he had a very noticeable game, and he only has 1 point in 3 games.

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad