RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
Vasiliev Podslovak is stepping out of his shell slowly but surely. He needs more confidence in his game and you can see the hesitation in his play but I have high hopes for the kid.
Watching his time with SKA in the KHL, I noticed how slow he was to feel comforable enough to take chances and lower-percentage plays. Instead of a confidence issue, I always saw it as a player wanting to play mistake-free and do all the little, smart plays right.

I think a lot of people expect high draft picks to really go for every opportunity they can to score, while Podkolzin has always played a team-first game. I think that is why he was relied on in the KHL playoffs last year for SKA. The scoring just came naturally with more opportunities, but he played the game a coach would want him to play, and thus got more ice-time when the games really mattered. I think when he understands what is and isn't possible for him to do in the NHL, he will take more risks or play with more confidence, as you put it. And if he follows the path he took in the KHL I still think it takes a year or two for him to really break out in the NHL.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Watching his time with SKA in the KHL, I noticed how slow he was to feel comforable enough to take chances and lower-percentage plays. Instead of a confidence issue, I always saw it as a player wanting to play mistake-free and do all the little, smart plays right.

I think a lot of people expect high draft picks to really go for every opportunity they can to score, while Podkolzin has always played a team-first game. I think that is why he was relied on in the KHL playoffs last year for SKA. The scoring just came naturally with more opportunities, but he played the game a coach would want him to play, and thus got more ice-time when the games really mattered. I think when he understands what is and isn't possible for him to do in the NHL, he will take more risks or play with more confidence, as you put it. And if he follows the path he took in the KHL I still think it takes a year or two for him to really break out in the NHL.
Yeah, you can see his reflexes are quicker than he presents but he’s always currently a split-second behind on passes or shots. I notice this will immediately go away when he’s having a good game or scores a goal. Suddenly, the hesitation is gone and there is no delay. If he could get into that second gear by default he will be a hell of a player.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Podkolzin was so lost in his first 10 games or so. He wouldnt know where to go or how a play was supposed to go down. It was legit funny... espeically cuz he tried so hard, the effort was there. But thats also why i wasnt worried.
He came from a different league, different size ice, different style of play... You see he's like a sponge. He's soaking it all in and learning. He no longer looks out of place at all.
Physical tools wise, he's hard on pucks (came as advertised) and he has really quick reflexes. I like that a lot. He shows flashes of high end skills with dekes in one-on-one situations and he has a rocket of a shot. The thing ive noticed over the last two games the most is his straight line speed. He was legit slow but i guess he's getting into better shape as the season goes along? not sure why but he's skating much faster.
Excited to see where he is in 2 or 3 years. I think its pretty safe to say his floor is a 20G/20A type player but would wager on him providing more of that.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I honestly don't think I've seen a bad defensive play from Podkolzin this year. Active stick, big body (doesn't check much though), and positioning. In addition, his desperation moves are awesome (he dives at pucks a lot to get them in deep, it's hilarious and somehow always works)

He's a machine, just solid everywhere, and I feel confident when he's on the ice. He does zero flashy things though, and is too scared of making a mistake. We are seeing it more, but hopefully he starts to come out of his shell more, since he has a lazer of a shot, and is always in great position. And his big frame makes him hard to knock out of the slot

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Anyone who thinks Podkolzin isn't nhl ready with potential to develop further, has no clue what they are talking about. Correcting people on icetime in the Khl is one thing, being completely out of touch with how he has played in Van, is another. Thinking that he would only be nhl ready if he was scoring at a 40 goal pace, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this site.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I love that Podz found chemistry pretty early with Garland.
Not that it's difficult to find chemistry with a guy who's all over the ice like Garlz is, but it's pretty neat to see the rookie playing the "muscle" role on a line with Skinny Pete and the diminutive Conor Garland.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Podkolzin has been excellent. I am so impressed with his game. His counting stats will get better as he goes, but he impacts the game in all three zones as a 20YO Rookie.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
He’s gonna be a fan favorite if he already isn’t, the guy is smart and has a compete level that’s off the charts

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
It's been so quiet from our NA brethren! After all this thread has gone through, it deserves more than silence :D

How has Podz been playing lately? Or more specifically, how has he progressed as this season has gone on? I still think he takes him a couple years before he really hits his stride in the NHL, but how would people project his career out based on the first half of his rookie season? What do you see him as in his prime?

Reactions: CanuckCity

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It's been so quiet from our NA brethren! After all this thread has gone through, it deserves more than silence :D

How has Podz been playing lately? Or more specifically, how has he progressed as this season has gone on? I still think he takes him a couple years before he really hits his stride in the NHL, but how would people project his career out based on the first half of his rookie season? What do you see him as in his prime?

He has found chemistry with Pettersson over the last 2 weeks or so.

He was healthy scratched for 1 game along with Hoglander as Bodreau wanted to send a message to the young guys.

I've seen every Podkolzin shift this season and this is my assessment.

- strong on the puck
-elusive shot
- very good playmaker
-lacks agility in his skating but is powerful on his skates if that makes sense.

Of course this is all just in his 20 yr old season.

I think next year he will slowly get trusted into more roles such as Penalty Kill and Powerplay2

In his prime i see him as a top 6 winger - 20 goals 30-40 assist guy that will play a brand of hockey that will be very useful in the playoffs.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

These is the type of passes and IQ plays that Podkolzin has been making all season. Very cerebral player

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

Both he and Hoglander struggled a little bit to the change in expectations and tactics when Bruce came on board. He recently had them alternate games in the press box to give them a different perspective and a bit of a reset. Hoglander needed it more than Pod, but both had stagnated a little bit after good starts to the year.

As others have said, he seems to have found a fit with EP for the time being, which has coincided with Pettersson's offensive re-emergence. I think the 60pt 2 way guy as a ceiling is fair, but he's going to be a real handful to play against and should make a great PKer before long. He's a really nice complimentary piece to this forward core.

Once he has the confidence to pick his spots better and starts throwing the body more, look out.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is progressing better than expected from a 20yr old rookie from the KHL, all I see is a rosy future with him. Thank god he wasn't drafted 3rd overall, the expectation for offense would've killed him in this market. At where he was picked up, he is allowed to chart a more traditional development curve that will benefit him in year 3 or 4. I see a 50-70 point all situations type winger in the top6.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He is progressing better than expected from a 20yr old rookie from the KHL, all I see is a rosy future with him. Thank god he wasn't drafted 3rd overall, the expectation for offense would've killed him in this market. At where he was picked up, he is allowed to chart a more traditional development curve that will benefit him in year 3 or 4. I see a 50-70 point all situations type winger in the top6.

he was awesome with Petey in the game vs the Islanders. Can see him being a long term lineman for Petey.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

better? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

Also, the production expectation step difference from 3rd to 10th, is not that great.

I still haven't seen anything special out of him as a pro (KHL & NHL)
what would predict 70 point seasons (when he is at his prime)
- not that i have seen many of his games this season, just over 10 now

It would be super interesting to see what he could do in the AHL,
the level of hockey he should be playing atm.
- i think he could do like 0.70-0.75 ppg, which would be great.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Also, the production expectation step difference from 3rd to 10th, is not that great.

the level of hockey he should be playing atm

Just stop. You have the worst, most embarrassing and cringe-worthy takes on this player.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I agree. There is far less pressure on him in a market where fans can have absurd expectations sometimes.

He looks to have a bright future with us.

Perhaps the 2 biggest concerns we had with him at the beginning of the season were his shot and possibly his skating.

His shot actually seems to be a strength, and his skating while not necessarily pretty, seems to be above average as well.

Ideally, I would have let him play in the AHL all season and play big minutes and a more prominent role, and then bring him up next season…but our lack of depth and cap situation made that difficult.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kid is a complete beast. If he keeps up his pace from the last two games he might even hit double digits in assists at the end of the season :eek:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

the level of hockey he should be playing atm.
Kid is a complete beast. If he keeps up his pace from the last two games he might even hit double digits in assists at the end of the season :eek:
Sunk cost fallacy is one hell of a thing, huh guys?

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad