RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Maybe somebody can enlighten me, but what's up with the criticism of his size and strength?

He's 5' 10" 183, according to Elite Prospects, as an 18 year old. At his biggest, Datsyuk never pushed much higher than 190. There's plenty of stars that are roughly this size, not at 18, but at their peak.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Maybe somebody can enlighten me, but what's up with the criticism of his size and strength?

He's 5' 10" 183, according to Elite Prospects, as an 18 year old. At his biggest, Datsyuk never pushed much higher than 190.
A lot of the criticism for his size/strength comes from the fact that he was 11 lbs lighter last off season and was a 17 year playing against men. Why Frolunda kept him up in the SHL is beyond me, but he's pretty much sorted out the size concern given that he's an explosive skater.

Oct 18, 2006
I think Andersson obviously has a great track record during his career, but sometimes these executives and scouts live off reputation. Do we know that he’s done anything great recently?
Tend to agree. There’s a whole lot of busts amongst his recommendations. I like Raymond and I like Andersson as a scout, but man he gets overhyped for picks made 20 years ago.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why would that even be bad? Doesn't Detroit need pure skill? McDavid is perimeter, MacKinnon is perimeter, Kane is perimeter, Panarin is perimeter. When you have that level of puck skills, the perimeter is where you play.

Detroit isn't lacking on guys who stand around the net or can battle in the corners. It's much harder to acquire players who can take over a shift on the perimeter. You aren't drafting Raymond to do that, and I don't even think he's completely perimeter. He's perimeter-oriented because it fits his skillset, but he's a hard working two-way guy and is willing to get to the middle of the ice when he needs to.

Because at 4 overlal you want a player that does everything. If hes a true perimeter guy, thats not the type of hockey that wins come playoff time. A lot of times perimeter players have to adjust to be successful in the playoffs when the games get tighter.

Its the one knock on his game that concerns me. Great prospect though, I'm excited a a wings fan, doesnt mean I have to love every part of his game though

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
No. But, anyone with his track record deserves the benefit of the doubt until they clearly botch something. Also very hard to tell how much an input an area scout has on each pick. Not saying he's perfect, but I sure as hell trust his opinion about a Swedish prospect over mine, anyone on this board, or pretty much anyone else alive. I know this is somewhat of an appeal to authority argument, but I'd be incredibly arrogent to not have a high-level of belief in Andersson's ability to identify talent over my own, especially for a kid in his backyard. I bash or support picks here all the time, but there are a few guys who I won't heavily question, and Andersson on a high Swedish pick is one of them.

That's how I see it too. Detroit sure did their due diligence on the other available picks at this range. I had Raymond slotted for the Detroit pick, he made the most sense for them. The question is if he can reach his lofty potential, but that goes for all picks.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think Andersson obviously has a great track record during his career, but sometimes these executives and scouts live off reputation. Do we know that he’s done anything great recently?
Yzerman appears to lean on him more than Holland did so we’ll see how the hakan picks turn out in a few years

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He may very well end up being the best pick in the whole draft.
He will be better that Stutzle. Stutzle is overrated all skills and weak hockey IQ. This guy has everything elite skating tools, iq and he is playing in far superior league. DEL is shitshow slightly better than ECHL , brutally overrated.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He will be better that Stutzle. Stutzle is overrated all skills and weak hockey IQ. This guy has everything elite skating tools, iq and he is playing in far superior league. DEL is shitshow slightly better than ECHL , brutally overrated.

Maybe 15 years ago. The DEL is pretty good now with a lot of guys having played in the AHL, SHL and NLA jumping over there. Even a few former NHLers. The top teams in the DEL could compete with any of the teams in the SHL.

And I'm a Wings fan who is really pulling for Raymond to be the right choice for the team, but stating that the 2nd/3rd highest ranked prospect has low hockey IQ is insane. Stutzle is supremely talented. Exceptional stickhandler. Easily top 3 in the draft. Possibly the best or 2nd best skating ability in the draft, and top notch playmaking ability while having a non-stop motor.

It's literally been 3 days since they were drafted. Slow your roll, dude.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

LOL

Reactions: EpiPen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad