RW Koehn Ziemmer - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2023, 78th, LAK)

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Ziemmer was actually a 1st rounder on McKenzie's January list and I haven't seen or heard anything that could have justified him falling back two entire rounds other than the usual stuff like him being a winger or having not played any WJC's. I think his scoring dropped slightly but nothing too crazy. I understand he's not a good skater for his size but with his style and other qualities I'm not sure he necessarily has to to make an impact at NHL level. It's also not so bad that it couldn't still be fixed. Here's a guy that plays a very mature, complete game and has the skill to become a top6 player in the NHL. Even if that doesn't work out, you get a middle six role player, if his skating doesn't improve maybe a 4th liner at worst. Either way, I don't see him bust completely and I think he's gonna play so to get him in the 3rd is nuts. He's a righty as well.
I agree that Ziemmer's skating issues have been overblown. His skating stride isn't the best, but he gets where he needs to be and he doesn't lag behind the play. Maybe that will not be the case at higher levels but he's got time to improve and it's something that can be worked over. The rest of his game is pretty good. I think the biggest other "flaw" in his game is that he shoots too much from bad angles and that can create turnovers... but at the same time, you got to shoot if you want to score, and that's what goal scorers do.

Reactions: Hinterland

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Who else?

Ziemmer was actually a 1st rounder on McKenzie's January list and I haven't seen or heard anything that could have justified him falling back two entire rounds other than the usual stuff like him being a winger or having not played any WJC's. I think his scoring dropped slightly but nothing too crazy. I understand he's not a good skater for his size but with his style and other qualities I'm not sure he necessarily has to to make an impact at NHL level. It's also not so bad that it couldn't still be fixed. Here's a guy that plays a very mature, complete game and has the skill to become a top6 player in the NHL. Even if that doesn't work out, you get a middle six role player, if his skating doesn't improve maybe a 4th liner at worst. Either way, I don't see him bust completely and I think he's gonna play so to get him in the 3rd is nuts. He's a righty as well.

The only reason that I see he dropped and along with his teammate Heidt (who was also taken lower than expected) is that scouts just don't cover PG closely and it's so far away for them to get in person viewings.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The only reason that I see he dropped and along with his teammate Heidt (who was also taken lower than expected) is that scouts just don't cover PG closely and it's so far away for them to get in person viewings.
another potential factor is PG hasn't been good at developing players for a while now. For whatever reason they seem to peak there and never live up to their full potential. Don't buy into that but it's something I've heard others say

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
another potential factor is PG hasn't been good at developing players for a while now. For whatever reason they seem to peak there and never live up to their full potential. Don't buy into that but it's something I've heard others say
They have 1 banner in 30 years. Nought said.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Just signed his ELC with the Kings! :clap:

dxtfbneihyp7gunc3knr.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Probably luck involved as it's maybe the first soft goal Harrison Meneghin gave up all season. Should have either fully committed to the challenge or sat back and trust his defenseman. Would have made it tougher for Ziemmer to finish this one off if Meneghin didn't get caught in nowhereland.

Still, good to see Ziemmer score on the rush after winning a puck race since skating was probably why he fell in the draft. He's never gonna be an elegant or elite skater but he's a good enough skater and I don't think it will be a problem at any level.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He got hurt tonight. Went down during a fight. Looked like his ankle or knee. Didn’t look good at all.
Thanks for letting us know. That really sucks as he was my favorite prospect to watch outside our AHL system. Hope the news isn't as bad as expected.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad