RW Koehn Ziemmer - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2023, 78th, LAK)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One has to wonder.. if Ziemmer had better feet, would he be ranked ahead of Barlow?

He's certainly a better finisher.

Ziemmer has better hands than Barlow but he's certainly not a better finisher.

He's also a year ahead in development as an '04 born, so that plays a role too.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Simply great value.
Ziemmer is your prototypical 20-32 overall pick in a typical draft. There are no holes in his game that would hold him back from being a top-6 guy, but he needs to take each of his skills a couple steps forward to hit that potential. Very doable.
Why did he fall so far?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I love reading comments like this because our board is still pretty upset over the PLD trade.

I needed a positivity boost. TY HTV
Yeah, I don't like the Dubois Trade either. I don't question his talent but I do question his work ethic. Also, I'm very high on the players traded for him. I think they've got lots more still to give, especially Kupari was just scratching the surface of what he can become with more ice time and opportunities.

Having said that, in my view, LA won the draft. Got two first round caliber prospects (on my list) without even having a 1st round pick. Crazy.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah, I don't like the Dubois Trade either. I don't question his talent but I do question his work ethic. Also, I'm very high on the players traded for him. I think they've got lots more still to give, especially Kupari was just scratching the surface of what he can become with more ice time and opportunities.

Having said that, in my view, LA won the draft. Got two first round caliber prospects (on my list) without even having a 1st round pick. Crazy.
Who, Ziemmer and Dvorak?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Who, Ziemmer and Dvorak?
Who else?

Ziemmer was actually a 1st rounder on McKenzie's January list and I haven't seen or heard anything that could have justified him falling back two entire rounds other than the usual stuff like him being a winger or having not played any WJC's. I think his scoring dropped slightly but nothing too crazy. I understand he's not a good skater for his size but with his style and other qualities I'm not sure he necessarily has to to make an impact at NHL level. It's also not so bad that it couldn't still be fixed. Here's a guy that plays a very mature, complete game and has the skill to become a top6 player in the NHL. Even if that doesn't work out, you get a middle six role player, if his skating doesn't improve maybe a 4th liner at worst. Either way, I don't see him bust completely and I think he's gonna play so to get him in the 3rd is nuts. He's a righty as well.

Jakub Dvorak was listed 15th among European skaters by Central Scouting, right behind 1st rounder Lindstein and several spots ahead of Simashev. Central scouting is usually my go to list for Europeans and I agree with them re Dvorak. I think his stats are misleading because he missed a lot of time with a broken collar bone I think it was and played he played in a strong league but one not many get drafted out of. If you actually watch him play I think there's no way he drops out of the 1st round without the injury. Very mature game, played solid defense vs men, not kids, excellent skater for the big frame he's got. It's not often, such a size/skating combo falls out of the 1st round.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Who else?

Ziemmer was actually a 1st rounder on McKenzie's January list and I haven't seen or heard anything that could have justified him falling back two entire rounds other than the usual stuff like him being a winger or having not played any WJC's. I think his scoring dropped slightly but nothing too crazy. I understand he's not a good skater for his size but with his style and other qualities I'm not sure he necessarily has to to make an impact at NHL level. It's also not so bad that it couldn't still be fixed. Here's a guy that plays a very mature, complete game and has the skill to become a top6 player in the NHL. Even if that doesn't work out, you get a middle six role player, if his skating doesn't improve maybe a 4th liner at worst. Either way, I don't see him bust completely and I think he's gonna play so to get him in the 3rd is nuts. He's a righty as well.

Jakub Dvorak was listed 15th among European skaters by Central Scouting, right behind 1st rounder Lindstein and several spots ahead of Simashev. Central scouting is usually my go to list for Europeans and I agree with them re Dvorak. I think his stats are misleading because he missed a lot of time with a broken collar bone I think it was and played he played in a strong league but one not many get drafted out of. If you actually watch him play I think there's no way he drops out of the 1st round without the injury. Very mature game, played solid defense vs men, not kids, excellent skater for the big frame he's got. It's not often, such a size/skating combo falls out of the 1st round.
What I thought but didn’t know if you were going off the board with another of the Kings picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad