RW Kasperi Kapanen (2014, 22nd, PIT; traded to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
Definitely a good prospect. I'm predicting some time in the near future he'll go pointless a few games in a row and a bunch of people will say, "this kid is so raw and inconsistent, he will never be an NHL regular" :laugh:

lol. Only a matter of time.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I love Kapanen and absolutely think he has all the tools to be a top 6 player.
I think keeping him in the AHL for a while is the right move. He needs to build his confidence, the one thing he lacks. Let him be the main guy for offense down there and bring him up for a game or 2 here and there.

He's also probably the most underrated prospect right now along with Sprong

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
KK had become fabulously underrated over the past year. Not a bluechip league elite type prospect but a fine "team's top forward" prospect on that next rung down that's a solid bet (but by no mean's lock) to be a top 6 forward with potential for more.

Bound to happen though. Both groups he was a part of: Leafs (Matthews/Marner/Nylander) Finns (Laine/Pulj/Aho and a lesser extent Rantanen) had/ have a disproportionate amount of bluechip talent, pretty easy to get outshone in that company. Bury said prospect as a 19 year old playing underage on an incredibly deep AHL team, throw in some injury troubles and he's looking pretty bad to those that don't put his production into context. Then you factor in the jealous rationalizations that the Leaf pool was nothing special after the big three and viola, it becomes accepted fact that a guy as good as a lot of teams top forward prospect is "just another B prospect".

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Kapanen is the kind of depth player that winning teams can put on their third line. He's reliable defensively and will chip in offensively if given the opportunity.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I was in Kalpa game a few weeks ago where his grandfather is the host in VIP lounge. Talked with him about Kasperi and he said Kasperi has been working like a madman during the summer with his shot. Seems to have paid off.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I was in Kalpa game a few weeks ago where his grandfather is the host in VIP lounge. Talked with him about Kasperi and he said Kasperi has been working like a madman during the summer with his shot. Seems to have paid off.

His shot looks very very good right now...I agree.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
How does Kasperi Kapanen have a thread that's about to be 1k posts?

I mean, I know why, but jeesuss.

Why wouldn't he?

A very skilled player that played a big part of a big trade. Scored the GWG for Finland in the World Juniors. Has had his hockey IQ questioned but seems to be on the rise now. I think there's enough reasons for 1k posts.

He has TOP6 potential for sure, could be paired with Nylander in the future, I think they're good buddies off the ice too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm surprised he hasn't established himself in the NHL yet to be honest, he had a pretty strong camp in 2014-2015 IIRC and he was one of the last players cut. Before he was traded, Rutherford talked about him as possibly being a top-6 winger for the Pens in the 2015-2016 season. I wouldn't mind having him back on the Pens, the Pens could use another skilled winger that can play both wings.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm surprised he hasn't established himself in the NHL yet to be honest, he had a pretty strong camp in 2014-2015 IIRC and he was one of the last players cut. Before he was traded, Rutherford talked about him as possibly being a top-6 winger for the Pens in the 2015-2016 season. I wouldn't mind having him back on the Pens, the Pens could use another skilled winger that can play both wings.

part of that (maybe a big part) is that he hasn't had much opportunity on the Marlies before this year to score consistently, the team was very deep with scoring talent last year. So far he's been getting the chance to be the offensive leader this year and it's going well so far - 7pts in 5 games. The big club is 1/3 rookies this year so I don't think management wanted to leave them to their own devices, needed some vets to absorb big minutes and shelter the kids

So I think he continues to get premium minutes for the Marlies this year, probably gets a chance to make the Leafs after the TDL and very likely could start with the big club next year

He could also become trade bait, but right now I don't think we're seeing Kapanen as a guy we're even close to ready to do away with so if he's in a trade it's probably one for a specific piece like RHD

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has a goal tonight and is killing it in the AHL this year.

The Leafs need another talented and well-rounded player in the top six. I hope he can replace Komarov there and bump him to the third line, where he should be more effective.
He's also generating a bunch of shots so its not like his production is flukey. I really hope he can find consistency. Its always been a knock on him, and I think last year he had a bunch of things working against him (having to go to the WJC mid-year, small injuries, a call-up to the leafs). This year if he can stay healthy, he likely won't have any of these distractions til a possible full time call up when we clear roster space at the deadline. I've been very impressed with him this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Looks like the first offensive call up for the Leafs.
Doubt it, I think Leipsic is first-in-line. I think they want to see Kapanen be consistent before calling him up for good. Kapanen has had consistency issues, and was on the move a lot last year while also having small injuries. I think they want to keep him in a fairly stable environment until he is ready. Leipsic is older and a guy they are probably more willing to yo-yo up and down.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Doubt it, I think Leipsic is first-in-line. I think they want to see Kapanen be consistent before calling him up for good. Kapanen has had consistency issues, and was on the move a lot last year while also having small injuries. I think they want to keep him in a fairly stable environment until he is ready. Leipsic is older and a guy they are probably more willing to yo-yo up and down.

I think it depends on the spot that opens up. I agree that Kapanen would probably be better off staying in one place for the whole year, but if Hyman goes down for instance, I don't know that Leipsic is big enough to play the puck retrieval game at the NHL level. Kapanen might make more sense on some lines if the team is actually trying to be competitive.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it depends on the spot that opens up. I agree that Kapanen would probably be better off staying in one place for the whole year, but if Hyman goes down for instance, I don't know that Leipsic is big enough to play the puck retrieval game at the NHL level. Kapanen might make more sense on some lines if the team is actually trying to be competitive.
They'd be more likely to call up Greening or Laich for a puck-retrieval role. I think they are going to play it ultra safe with Kapanen, then decide post all-star game what there approach is going to be entering the trade deadline. I also don't see Hyman getting sent down anytime soon. He is what he is, at worst they will demote him to the 4th line.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

The coach at the time was an idiot. Similar thing happened with Sprong, only they actually kept him on the team and burned his ELC, then changed their minds and decided he wasn't ready.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

I think theyre gonna keep leipisic down as well and call up soshnikov first

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That would be completely wrong. The "insiders" don't believe it works that way, just the confused outsiders.

If a player has a NTC or NMC and agrees to waive it to be traded that NTC/NMC remains in full force with the new team.

The only time where players can "lose" a NTC or NMC from their contract is if they're traded before the clause is scheduled to go into effect. The acquiring team can choose to honor the clause in that situation though I'm not aware of that ever happening.

Michalek still has his NTC.

Exactly how it works. Made a similar post last year. Also teams can chose to honour the clause if they are traded before it kicks in. Doubt any team does this.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he'll be among the fastest skaters in the nhl...has a great shot, good stick work and passing

50-60 points, 2-3 line wing, and great on the PK

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I started hearing about his improvement this season just reading what people have been saying about him, but I didn't get to watch an actual game until last night. I couldn't believe how much he improved compared to last season:

There was one shift he curled in the right circle, took a shot, picked up his rebound, and did that again twice more until a guy blocked it into the mesh.

His goal above doesn't show how fantastic he was on that shift. He shot it off the draw, picked up his rebound, walked the line, passed it away, got the pass right back and sniped.

Another shift he got the puck in the defensive zone, attempted to skate through both D in the neutral zone, passed it past them, skated past both for a breakaway, and ALMOST scored (he tripped over the goalie headfirst into the post).

This guy at the worst is Carl Hagelin, but if he can get some form of consistency this guy could be an absolute monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad