RW Kasperi Kapanen (2014, 22nd, PIT; traded to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
My problem with Kapanen last year was that he had no brain. Does he still look clueless sometimes? I'm glad he worked on his consistency though.

Haven't watched any Marlies this year

It's not about being clueless.

He just wasn't confident in himself.

He's getting it back.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Could be a guy who gets moved for D.

He's fantastic though. But he has good value and the Leafs have a surplus of good forwards.

Unless it's for a very solid D-man, no thanks. Kapanen is coming into his own, and I think he'll be a good 25 goal scorer at the next level. Likely our best forward prospect outside of the obvious three.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
My problem with Kapanen last year was that he had no brain. Does he still look clueless sometimes? I'm glad he worked on his consistency though.

I thought the same thing as you at one point but this year he's proving me wrong. His skill set is really coming into fruition imo. Most of us had concerns if he could put all of his tools together and for the first time in his young career, he seems to be doing just that. I watched him play last night and he was the best player on the ice. Him and leipsic.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
He's really surprised me. I honestly thought he'd just sort of fade away in the background, never thought he was good enough. But he's taken another level and that's great for us. I hope they treat him like Nylander last season, prove you're way too good for the NHL. I'd like to see him play at that level for at least 40-50 games on the marlies before giving him a permanent call up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People forget the last 2 years he normally would be in the CHL at his age, not playing in the AHL.

Great for him doing so well. He's going to be a nice piece of our top 6, or if management decides to upgrade defense (they should), he could be apart of the package, definitely looks like a great prospect right now.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Kasperi Kapanen was on of the two or three youngest players in the AHL last season.

Putting up almost a 0.5 PPG rate as a 19 year old, in the AHL, was pretty good.

As a 20 year old, he should be able to put up nearly a PPG this year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kasperi Kapanen was on of the two or three youngest players in the AHL last season.

He was over .5ppg, 25pts in 44gms for a .568ppg

emphasizes your point though

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

It was, which is why I always laughed whenever someone said he a bad year in the A last season. In what world is a season where a 19 year old puts up those type of numbers considered a bad one? I think Kappy's been underrated ever since he's been a Leaf because of Nylander's insane development and his destruction of the same league.

Still, a season later, Kap is more developed, has better linemates, and is playing higher in the lineup with way more PP time. His increased scoring really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He's a special talent.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was, which is why I always laughed whenever someone said he a bad year in the A last season. In what world is a season where a 19 year old puts up those type of numbers considered a bad one? I think Kappy's been underrated ever since he's been a Leaf because of Nylander's insane development and his destruction of the same league.

Still, a season later, Kap is more developed, has better linemates, and is playing higher in the lineup with way more PP time. His increased scoring really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He's a special talent.

Yup. Nylander's absolutely ridiculous season last year just fully overshadowed Kappy's good season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
he'll be among the fastest skaters in the nhl...has a great shot, good stick work and passing

50-60 points, 2-3 line wing, and great on the PK

Which is exactly what we need. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander should be able to make up the "core" of a good team. What we need are the solid secondary pieces up front.

The blue line obviously needs work, but there are some pretty interesting looking pieces there, even though they're not 1st rounders, in Nielsen and Dermott.

FuelTheJet

Oct 18, 2014
I don't see any reason why he would make the Leafs this year unless he starts completely destroying the A like Nylander did last year (I don't think this will happen).

Give him another year in the A and let's see where we're at next season. The further we go without burning a year of his ELC the better especially when next season will be the last of Nylanders ELC.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Let him prove that over 40 or so games. The raw tools have always been there, the consistency hasn't.

Not sure I agree with that. I think it was just a young guy getting used to a new league. I don't think his problem is consistency, he's showing his dominance every night now.

He was arguably our best player in the playoffs too.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is why Leaf fans have been telling people they have the best prospect pool in the NHL because even with Mathews Marner and Nylander on the roster you STILL have Kapenan Braco Leipsic Neilson all dominating their respective leagues

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't see any reason why he would make the Leafs this year unless he starts completely destroying the A like Nylander did last year (I don't think this will happen).

Give him another year in the A and let's see where we're at next season. The further we go without burning a year of his ELC the better especially when next season will be the last of Nylanders ELC.
He's burning an ELC regardless this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure I agree with that. I think it was just a young guy getting used to a new league. I don't think his problem is consistency, he's showing his dominance every night now.

He was arguably our best player in the playoffs too.
He also had consistency issues in Finland. There is no need to rush him. Leave him in the AHL til atleast February. If he's still tearing it up, call him up.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
He also had consistency issues in Finland. There is no need to rush him. Leave him in the AHL til atleast February. If he's still tearing it up, call him up.

I think Kappy is one of the prospects that would be affected positively by playing in the AHL for a couple of more seasons. Bring him up at age 22 and see him going for the Calder. If he was brought up now, it could easily mean bottom six and reduced minutes along. The negatives might out weigh the positives. Rantanen was "destroying" the AHL and while looking great for Avalanche, he hasn't really been able to show up on the score sheet. Kapanen is still behind Rantanen's pace, is smaller and as stated by 93leafs has still been showing consistency issues. Let Kappy break some AHL records and then call him up as a top six winger.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Sort of already is....12 pts in 10 game, projects to 45.6pts in 38 games, Nylander had 45pts in 38 games. It's a tall order, but it's maintenance of current pace to have a Nylander-esque performance, not improvement to a better pace

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Kappy is one of the prospects that would be affected positively by playing in the AHL for a couple of more seasons. Bring him up at age 22 and see him going for the Calder. If he was brought up now, it could easily mean bottom six and reduced minutes along. The negatives might out weigh the positives. Rantanen was "destroying" the AHL and while looking great for Avalanche, he hasn't really been able to show up on the score sheet. Kapanen is still behind Rantanen's pace, is smaller and as stated by 93leafs has still been showing consistency issues. Let Kappy break some AHL records and then call him up as a top six winger.
He doesn't need that long, and the Leafs run a solid top 9/energy line structure at the moment (and it appears to be Babcock's favored approach). So if he's brought up, he'll get solid ES minutes. He should be up to start next season or post TDL this year, he doesn't need that long down in the AHL. He's also a very different player than Rantanen. Kapanen has been fine this year consistency wise, I just want to see it for 40 games or so before brining him up.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Sort of already is....12 pts in 10 game, projects to 45.6pts in 38 games, Nylander had 45pts in 38 games. It's a tall order, but it's maintenance of current pace to have a Nylander-esque performance, not improvement to a better pace

Im a big Kapp guy, love his speed and ability to force defenders to make split second decisions about who they are covering or to take the pass vs shot on 2 on 2 or 2 on 1 is a huge asset.

BUT 12 points in 10 games really isnt the same as 45 in 38, no matter the pace. Wait until the Marlies have a slump, or someone gets injured, or they start having guys called up and he has to play with some inferior dudes.

If at the 38 game mark he has 38+ points that would be a great 20 yo season. Thats top 40 all time pace for a 20 year old. His pace is top 15 ever so lets not asume he keeps that up!

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Kapanen definietly is a special prospect in the way that he´s the only prospect close to both finns and leafs-fans hearts, and the only thread where these fractions seem to get along :D

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Kapanen definietly is a special prospect in the way that he´s the only prospect close to both finns and leafs-fans hearts, and the only thread where these fractions seem to get along :D

Kapanen is my favorite Leafs forward prospect at the moment. I can't explain it, but I really like him as a person too.

It's my hope that he joins the other skilled rookies currently on the team. He is the same age as the others, so they can all grow together for a while. I've always thought it would be nice to have more skilled Finns on the Leafs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Im a big Kapp guy, love his speed and ability to force defenders to make split second decisions about who they are covering or to take the pass vs shot on 2 on 2 or 2 on 1 is a huge asset.

BUT 12 points in 10 games really isnt the same as 45 in 38, no matter the pace. Wait until the Marlies have a slump, or someone gets injured, or they start having guys called up and he has to play with some inferior dudes.

If at the 38 game mark he has 38+ points that would be a great 20 yo season. Thats top 40 all time pace for a 20 year old. His pace is top 15 ever so lets not asume he keeps that up!

Ya I was just pointing out to the poster that I replied to that it's not a step up in play that Kapanen would need to achieve that, only to maintain his currently ridiculous level of offense.

I called it a "tall order" for him to maintain that, fully recognize how good that would be and how unlikely it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad