RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wasn't a pretty goal, but they all count. Nice to see him finally get the monkey off his back.

Not a pretty goal, you serious? I could barely see the puck when he displayed those flashy hands and stick-handled behind the net before forcing his way in front to find that small hole between the pads. Looked pretty sick to be honest even if he didn't have to deke defencemen to get it done this time. The goal seemed like a result of sheer will to get it done finally.

Reactions: LAINEC

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Not a pretty goal, you serious? I could barely see the puck when he displayed those flashy hands and stick-handled behind the net before forcing his way in front to find that small hole between the pads. Looked pretty sick to be honest even if he didn't have to deke defencemen to get it done this time. The goal seemed like a result of sheer will to get it done finally.
If you think that way, then it was pretty yeah. I meant that is was a very weak goal to let by the goalie.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you think that way, then it was pretty yeah. I meant that is was a very weak goal to let by the goalie.

That's a nice goal, wheels out full force and then in a flash just tucks it past the keeper, kinda Peter Forsbergish honestly.

Need to catch a full game with this kid, just don't know where to do it, I have a subscriber thing with leojinat that tips me off when Finland plays and lets me watch their games but I have yet to catch a game where he has been on the roster.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I’m glad his slump is over. He actually looked godlike at his first 10 games of the season or so. I still think he has most potential from all draft eligible prospects i’ve seen in Finland. His diverse tool box in addition of his confidence and upside is something i’ve never witnessed in Finland for kid of this age.

Laine had special shot and high confidence what earned him playoffs MVP in his draft year and i don’t expect Kakko to have similar success this year but his tool box seems to be more versatile. He is manhandling men at 17 year old creating ridiculous plays out of nothing, has insane balance and puck control for kid of his age. Puck seems to be glued to his stick and he needs only small seams to squeeze through with puck against grown up men at 17 year old and he is still lanky kid. I saw similar things with Barkov at his age but he was built like man already. Barkov lacked and still lacks offensive confidence and selfishness what Kakko posesses in his DNA and sometimes too much which can end into bad turnovers.

He looks like junior player at times but so does most of the players of his age. Love how he battles hard on loose pucks like hungry dog about piece of meat. I hope he finds similar passion to battle in similar way at defensive zone especially if he is playing C in the future otherwise he will be weak in defensive zone.

In the end potential is just potential and everything is far from certain. I’m not saying he will be better than Rantanen, Barkov or Laine in the future. Laine has done insane things in his first 2 1/4 seasons and has 2nd most goals in entire league after Ovie since he has entered the league, Rantanen leads entire league in points in his 3rd full season and Barkov is arguably top 5 U24 player in the league but he has all the potential to overcome those players. I won’t speculate or even care where he end up in the draft because i have so limited views on NA prospects right now but i know he is special prospect to have in the system.

I have been wrong before and i’ve been right at times but time will tell.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I’m glad his slump is over. He actually looked godlike at his first 10 games of the season or so. I still think he has most potential from all draft eligible prospects i’ve seen in Finland. His diverse tool box in addition of his confidence and upside is something i’ve never witnessed in Finland for kid of this age.

Laine had special shot and high confidence what earned him playoffs MVP in his draft year and i don’t expect Kakko to have similar success this year but his tool box seems to be more versatile. He is manhandling men at 17 year old creating ridiculous plays out of nothing, has insane balance and puck control for kid of his age. Puck seems to be glued to his stick and he needs only small seams to squeeze through with puck against grown up men at 17 year old and he is still lanky kid. I saw similar things with Barkov at his age but he was built like man already. Barkov lacked and still lacks offensive confidence and selfishness what Kakko posesses in his DNA and sometimes too much which can end into bad turnovers.

He looks like junior player at times but so does most of the players of his age. Love how he battles hard on loose pucks like hungry dog about piece of meat. I hope he finds similar passion to battle in similar way at defensive zone especially if he is playing C in the future otherwise he will be weak in defensive zone.

In the end potential is just potential and everything is far from certain. I’m not saying he will be better than Rantanen, Barkov or Laine in the future. Laine has done insane things in his first 2 1/4 seasons and has 2nd most goals in entire league after Ovie since he has entered the league, Rantanen leads entire league in points in his 3rd full season and Barkov is arguably top 5 U24 player in the league but he has all the potential to overcome those players. I won’t speculate or even care where he end up in the draft because i have so limited views on NA prospects right now but i know he is special prospect to have in the system.

Kings fan here and it’s off topic but what are your impressions of Rasmus Kupari?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I agree with the assessment of Kakko excelling in areas where none of the formerly mentioned players wouldn't, but I disagree about him having the type of potential to unseat Laine. I thought of that yesterday when I saw this post, so it really doesn't have much to do with what happened last night. I don't think there's a player in the country that is or will become as great. After all we're dealing with a player who can single-handedly take over the games and score out of nowhere. It's seriously nearly impossible to beat that. I do think Kakko will become great though and he does remind me of Forsberg so much. Of course I hope to be wrong because then we'd have some insanely great player to look forward in the future. Hopefully he'll convert to center because he has every tool in the box to become a great two-way force and his ability to move, distribute the puck and create scoring chances is on another level.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Every time I see his name it reminds me of famed physicist Michio Kaku even though the pronunciation is obviously different.

Reactions: 1OApick

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Since the Avs snatched Rantanen @ 2015 while I was drooling for him to fall down for the Panthers so Barkov would finally get an elite/franchise winger by his side, I suppose this time I really hope Kakko lands into Florida for the exact same reason. The Avs fans seem to really appreciate Kakko for all that he brings on the table, that makes the second most ideal destination from my perspective. Though for the record, I think Kakko is the kind of a prospect that even the crappiest youth development coaches couldn't ruin. So if he ends up @ Edmonton, that'd be seriously fked up for the Pacific Division since he and McDavid would seriously tear it up.

Reactions: Acadien86

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Ok. How is it career graveyard?
With all the number one and top 5 picks they've had they haven't been able to form of winning unit. They are able to turn quite a few top draft picks into crap , their player development seems to suck unless if the player is just so good that they can't bust.

On top of that it seems that all the players they trade for just seem to lose their ability to play once they get there. Tell me is there one trade in the recent history that has really made the Oilers a better team. Let's say within the last 20 years.

Reactions: Ippenator

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
With all the number one and top 5 picks they've had they haven't been able to form of winning unit. They are able to turn quite a few top draft picks into crap , their player development seems to suck unless if the player is just so good that they can't bust.

On top of that it seems that all the players they trade for just seem to lose their ability to play once they get there. Tell me is there one trade in the recent history that has really made the Oilers a better team. Let's say within the last 20 years.

Ok. To me it seems that many of these are just plain bad picks. Paajarvi, Yakubov etc.

Team might have failed many times but career graveyard certainly not.

Team management have failed in drafting, expecially latter pics that are important as hell when you build after that top unit.

And sadly Chia has failed miserably.
Again, seems that they saw Puljujärvi and Lucic as sure bets... funny as many people said other.

But. No career graveyard is kinda harsh as many people have left Oilers and continued playing good hockey.
Not like their careers ended. :)

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Since the Avs snatched Rantanen @ 2015 while I was drooling for him to fall down for the Panthers so Barkov would finally get an elite/franchise winger by his side, I suppose this time I really hope Kakko lands into Florida for the exact same reason. The Avs fans seem to really appreciate Kakko for all that he brings on the table, that makes the second most ideal destination from my perspective. Though for the record, I think Kakko is the kind of a prospect that even the crappiest youth development coaches couldn't ruin. So if he ends up @ Edmonton, that'd be seriously fked up for the Pacific Division since he and McDavid would seriously tear it up.

Geat real. Obviously the Sens pick will be 2 and Panthers at 3. Avs will draft Kakko one pick ahead of the cats.

Reactions: Keke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad