RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Solo Cup

Jul 17, 2018
I honestly don’t feel as if he had a great game against the U20’s. Was hoping for some more from him. I think that he looked relatively slow to be honest in this game, from what I saw (half of the 2nd and full 3rd)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I honestly don’t feel as if he had a great game against the U20’s. Was hoping for some more from him. I think that he looked relatively slow to be honest in this game, from what I saw (half of the 2nd and full 3rd)
He's in the middle of summer strength training. No wonder his legs were not moving. I hope he doesn't ruin himself.

Reactions: Brett44

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He looked like a guy who hadn't been on the ice for a couple months. If I understand Rautala's training methods correctly, that would appear to be the case.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Pre season of pre season games mean absolutely nothing.

These kids are in the middle of summer trainings.

Red Solo Cup

Jul 17, 2018
Pre season of pre season games mean absolutely nothing.

These kids are in the middle of summer trainings.

I know its not really a full competition game and I am aware that its the first time he's probably been on the ice for a while. All I'm saying is that he looked a little slow. His hands were there and the decision making was fine so its nothing to worry about.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Were there really a lot of people mispronouncing it? Its an unusual name sure but looks quite simple. :dunno:

That scouting video made me do it, nothing else to it.
Looking forward to him playing for TPS this season. Might be a reason to get excited for thatteam in spite of losing both Juolevi and Palmu. Markus Nurmi is still there. We're also getting another player signing announcement this friday. Still uncertain whether Tallinder is in or out. Can't be too sure about the team's chances to compete next season, but I'm betting Kakko will be getting a lot of chances to go for Top 6 slot and stay there.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He will travel with the U20 team to play in World Junior Showcase. First game is on Monday.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Should play in Hlinka touney instead since Finland picked their C-team.
Calling it the C-team is generous. It's a complete waste of Honka, Kupari and Kakko's time. If that's the team they're sending, these three might as well be participating in the Liiga pre-season activities. And yes, rather Ivan Hlinka, there Kakko would have a chance to actually win something rather than just get blown up 5 games in a row.

Reactions: Mrb1p

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not playing today because of lower body injury, anybody know what happened?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Something happened in the game against Canada last night, he probably only took 2 shifts before going to the locker room.

Added: Just re-watched the game; on his 2nd shift, Kakko went to box out in the corner to protect the puck, took a little contact when stiff on stopping. Something happened then, went straight to the bench. Probably tweaked a cruciate ligament.

Last edited:

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

He was hit along the boards in the 1st period of WJSS game against Canada, with some accidental contact in the leg/knee area. Did not look very serious on a quick replay they did in the intermission, so hopefully nothing major.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He didn't look out of place playing center. Not sure what was up with him playing center but I wouldn't mind seeing him trying it more often.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Wouldn't mind it either, I always thought there might be something there. He checks alot of boxes for the role.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Wouldn't mind it either, I always thought there might be something there. He checks alot of boxes for the role.
Yeah, his game is pretty much everything you would want from a center. I see him being more a playmaker than sniper in his prime, so it only makes sense to me to test his skills at center.

But as far as I'm concerned, Kakko has never played center before so I'm thinking doesn't he prefer playing center or what's been up with that. Or maybe it was just Ahokas wanting to see Kupari on the wing and he felt like Kakko was skilled enough to fill center duties for one game.

Also, this move by Kakko was nice in that game

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
According to his club, Kakko will play tomorrow his first preseason game in the 1st line with Korpikoski and Ilari Filppula.

Big opportunity, hopefully he does well. Sucks the game will not be streamed.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
According to his club, Kakko will play tomorrow his first preseason game in the 1st line with Korpikoski and Ilari Filppula.

Big opportunity, hopefully he does well. Sucks the game will not be streamed.

Against Tappara? It is in Telia TV.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
One primary assist in 5-2 loss against Tappara.

I doubt any videos will surface from the game but apparently the assist was from Kakko getting the puck in the corner and he passed it to Filppula who onetimed it into empty net.

EDIT: Thanks to user jhheikki @ tappara.co who attended the game and recorded it for us to view.

Kakko's assist:

Here is the link to the full game (you have to download the game since the site can't play .MTS files
OneDrive

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
So after watching the game's first 50 minutes, I think we can safely say Kakko is going to stay up unless something drastic happens.

He hardly looked like a 17yo rookie out there. He was able to create some scoring chances even though his team was most of the time very lackluster tonight. Filppula was probably the best overall player from TPS but Kakko was still one of the few who managed to stand out tonight.

What I really like about Kakko is how relentlessly he is always pressuring the D and forcing them to turnover the puck/ice it. He also doesn't feel the need to cheat offensively so he is always hustling back to his own zone. His skating seems to have improved slightly and he is now even more swift than he was before in tight areas.

But not everything perfect. I don't think he had any shots in the game so there is definately one area where I'd like to see an improvement as the season goes. We saw in U18 that he has a quick release, he just needs to learn capitalize it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad