RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
He's up to 19 pts in 12 games now. If he can keep that, up, those are some truly impressive numbers, especially considering his slow start. When you look at under-17 seasons in the Nuorten SM-Liiga, his current points per game is good for third all-time, behind only Mikael Granlund and Jesse Puljujarvi. I'm not saying he's going to be drafted fourth overall or score 69 points in an NHL season, but he definitely deserves some attention. Is there any chance he sees time in the Liiga or Mestis this year? Anyone have some video of him?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thanks for making this. I was debating doing so myself.

He's been very impressive in Jr. As recently. As of right now, he's looking like the strongest Finnish 2019 forward by far.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I found only three U20 games streamed for TPS U20 this season. Only two of them were with good quality so there wasn't much to pick from but I managed to put something together.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknessess other than maybe he doesn't shoot much (hard to say from just seeing two games). I feel like he could already play in Liiga but sucks for him that TPS is one of the most stacked teams in Liiga. Maybe Mestis soon?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I feel like he could already play in Liiga but sucks for him that TPS is one of the most stacked teams in Liiga.
As you said, this is unfortunate for him at the moment (or I don't know if rushing him to Liiga would be the best choice for him anyway). I would presume that if he continues like this he will definitely get a shot in Liiga with TPS next season, as Kallio and Perrin (top forwards) are likely to hang them up after this season.

Maybe Mestis soon?

TPS does have three players loaned to Mestis at the moment (two at TUTO, one at SaPKo), so I would think that loaning him to say TUTO is certainly a possibility if they determine U20 Liiga is not enough for him.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I found only three U20 games streamed for TPS U20 this season. Only two of them were with good quality so there wasn't much to pick from but I managed to put something together.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknessess other than maybe he doesn't shoot much (hard to say from just seeing two games). I feel like he could already play in Liiga but sucks for him that TPS is one of the most stacked teams in Liiga. Maybe Mestis soon?

Good hands and vision. Skating is a bit hard to judge against juniors, but it doesn't look like a problem at all. And I agree, he didn't seem eager to shoot on those highlights.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
It's definitely not "unfortunate" that he plays for TPS, quite the opposite. Kaskinen was partly responsible why Rantanen and Ristolainen played in the FEL at an early age. Our young players have all flourished under his coaching and he's trusting them to play (unlike Selin). The team is maybe stacked now, but he will get his chance in the future. A big reason why Kaskinen was assigned was due to the continuity within the organization and to get our own prospects to climb all the way to the men's team and build a sustainable system. I am sure they already have a plan for Kakko.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's definitely not "unfortunate" that he plays for TPS, quite the opposite. Kaskinen is a big reason why Rantanen and Ristolainen played in the FEL at an early age. Our young players have all flourished under his coaching and he's trusting them to play (unlike Selin). The team is maybe stacked now, but he will get his chance in the future.
This is true, Kakko actually played 7 games under Kaskinen last season in the U20 Liiga. I have no doubt Kaskinen will bring him in if he feels he can contribute to the team, however I see that very unlikely this season.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

He kind of looks like a slow version of McDavid. I don't mean that he looks as good though. There's something similar in his game. Perhaps he has been watching McDavid and tries to emulate him in some way.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I'm not sure that lack of shooting is a problem for him on the whole. If you go through the game sheets, he averages over 7 shot attempts per game.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Bold Prediction: He ends the season with around 20 Liiga games and is considered a top-15 2019 prospect by this time next year
The latter part is not that "bold". For example Kupari is considered a top 10 prospect by some scouting sites for the next year's draft and Kakko is already outscoring him. Kupari is an outstanding skater though and he really impressed in Hlinka. The first part is pretty bold tho; no room for him atm. Next season for sure.

Kukkunen05

Oct 1, 2017
Personally, as a fellow amateur scout with years of experience just like you, I agree with your mutu. He will also score a goal and three assists in those 19-21 games.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Bold Prediction: He ends the season with around 20 Liiga games and is considered a top-15 2019 prospect by this time next year
Like those who got our early August Blue Dispatch issue (https://www.draftineu.com/product/blue-dispatch-2017-drafts-review/) already know, Kakko had a dedicated page there and was Draftin Europe #1 before the scouting season got underway with the Hlinka Memorial. It’s true at that point his name was hardly hyped elsewhere, but adding to that his current production your prediction right now really doesn’t sound bold, at least for us.

And I agree, he didn't seem eager to shoot on those highlights.
Not speaking about those highlights, but Kakko is actually a prospect that looked eager to shoot every time we’ve watched him (more than 10 times last season already).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->