RW Joonas Donskoi (2010, 99th, FLA; signed 2015, SJS)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
So, fifth in the FEL scoring race with 19 + 30 = 49 in 58 games and now 0 + 5 in two playoff games. I believe he could be a good fit in a number of NHL teams in a top-9 role. He's a decent two-way player with some scoring ability and one of the best in shootout situations.

Optimally he would sign somewhere where he wouldn't be relied for production right away, like the Wings where he could learn the North American style whilst playing in the AHL. After all, he is only 22, there's plenty of time to still develop his game. He has all the tools to succeed in the NHL but it remains to be seen. Hopefully he signs a NHL contract during the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Last edited:

Jul 1, 2012
There has to be a few NHL teams interested in him. 1+1 again yesterday. It's incredible how dangerous he can be every shift.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Why didn't Florida qualify him?
His development curve early on wasn't very steep but it has been slow and steady ever since. Panthers had many prospects to be signed so he was left out. He is now starting to show his potential and there is still room to grow. I think he will become a top-9 forward in two years.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
His development curve early on wasn't very steep but it has been slow and steady ever since. Panthers had many prospects to be signed so he was left out. He is now starting to show his potential and there is still room to grow. I think he will become a top-9 forward in two years.
Panthers offered him a contract, so it wasn't about that.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
Without a doubt the most dominant player in SM-liiga at full strength. Likes to hold onto the puck but unlike many similar players, doesn't slow down the game when he has it. Great hands and good speed even though he can't really glide. His shot (especially the accuracy) is terrible but he's worked on that.

He's a perfect example of a "high risk-high reward"-player and I'm sure he'll get an NHL contract but whether or not his game will ever translate remains to be seen. A more likely outcome is that he'll become one of the better players outside the NHL and a star on international ice but I really hope he makes the NHL.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He was awarded the Kurri award as the playoff MVP tonight. 6 + 16 in 19 games in the playoffs. Hopefully we'll see him in NA in next season. He has insanely good hands.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Lavoie says he's signed, but he put #panthers in front of his tweet. Not sure if he's saying Florida signed him or just that he was drafted by them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
His agent Pekka Laksola confirms Donskoi has accepted an offer and that it's up to the team now to publish. Biggest factors were the club and where it stands right now. They were looking for the best environment to develop as a player.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
His agent Pekka Laksola confirms Donskoi has accepted an offer and that it's up to the team now to publish. Biggest factors were the club and where it stands right now. They were looking for the best environment to develop as a player.

Any idea when the team will announce the signing?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Any idea when the team will announce the signing?

If it is San Jose, this is a weird situation.

They signed 2nd rounder Julius Bergman a few days after the draft but didn't confirm it for 3 months. On the flip-side, they usually are very open to immediately confirming UDFA signings (Jevpalovs, Goodrow, Carpenter, Karlsson, Desjardins etc.) so this is very surprising. I'm not sure if it is actually San Jose after all.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
How does this guy compare to Panarin in terms of impact they'll be able to have next season?

Just by looking at stats and nothing else (so I could be completely wrong), panarin put up better points in a stronger league and they're both around the same age so I think panarin most likely has a bigger impact.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Lavoie says he's signed, but he put #panthers in front of his tweet. Not sure if he's saying Florida signed him or just that he was drafted by them.

Donskoi attended development camp in Florida the year before last, but since then the Panthers haven't shown much interest in signing him.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
SM-liigakaukaloita spring dominated by Joonas Donskoi is the IS's knowledge, signed a two-year contract with the San Jose Sharks and moves kalifornialaisseuraan next season. Top playing Donskoi earns $ 925 000 per season.

Joonas Donskoi transferring to NHL.
Joonas Donskoi, who dominated the FEL this spring has signed a two-year contract with San Jose Sharks and moves to the California-based team for the next season, according to IS sources. While playing in the top league, he will earn $925k per season.

Known for his soft touch, Donskoi, 23, was drafted to the NHL in summer 2010. Florida Panthers snatched the Raahe-born, originally Teräs-Kiekko player, with their 4th round, 99th overall pick. However the Panthers never made a deal with Donskoi.

Donskoi, who has played his entire professional career in a Kärpät shirt, scored 19+30=49 in 58 matches during the recently ended season. In the playoffs he lead Kärpät to the gold medal with shooting 6 goals and assisting 16 in 19 matches.

In the spring World Championships Donskoi scored 5+3=8 in eight matches.

Source: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-1431940825584.html

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_28848335/finnish-winger-donskoi-impresses-sharks

Sharks coach Peter DeBoer has been careful to not to evaluate individual players in his public comments through the first three days of training camp. But there was one slight exception made for winger Joonas Donskoi on Sunday.

The Finnish-born Donskoi continued his strong month as he scored a goal around the net in the first of two 25-minute periods, then added another in a seven-minute, 3-on-3 overtime session as San Jose held an intrasquad scrimmage at Sharks Ice.

"He looked good today. He's had a good start, and I think he's caught our attention," DeBoer said. "We have a long way to go before opening night ... but he's definitely grabbed our attention."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad