RW Joonas Donskoi (2010, 99th, FLA; signed 2015, SJS)

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
So there's been alot of buzz on the Panthers forum about this kids performance so far in the WJC's. I personally haven't been able to catch any of Finland's game - so I'd like to hear some unbiased opinions of Donskoi's game. What do you think of this kid? Has he really been that impressive?

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Donskoi surely have been impressive but versus those "weak" countries i dont know if that tells so much. Some shifts his Kärpät-line did pretty much anything they wanted but for a skilled guy like him its expected. Will see how he plays against tougher competition now.

The most important thing for him is to get solid icetime in FEL. He's been most in the 3rd line and sometimes he's the best player in his team but sometimes he plays for himself more than for his team and having those weak periods i guess those young lads usually have. I guess it would be good if he got solid top6 minutes but its something he's gotta earn. Will be interesting how he manages to take his place again after WCJ break. He's still far from even thinking about NHL.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think he was strong in the games against USA and Canada as well. He's plays an extremely "Russian" style. Makes you think of someone like Semin in the offensive zone, super skilled with the puck. He was stickhandling his way around multiple Slovakians in the last game, should shoot more and not "over-handle" the puck as much. He's quite fast on his skates and resposible defensively as well so he's very useful in multiple roles. I saw some games from Russia and I think he looks a bit like Evgeny Kuznetsov.

Great pick in the 4th round.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I think he was strong in the games against USA and Canada as well. He's plays an extremely "Russian" style. Makes you think of someone like Semin in the offensive zone, super skilled with the puck. He was stickhandling his way around multiple Slovakians in the last game, should shoot more and not "over-handle" the puck as much. He's quite fast on his skates and resposible defensively as well so he's very useful in multiple roles. I saw some games from Russia and I think he looks a bit like Evgeny Kuznetsov.

Great pick in the 4th round.

I agree he was good at usa and canada game aswell. He has some sick stickhandling skill. Hes good at boards and gives 100% in every shift. Defensively he has suprised me hes actualy quite good. One of the best players of team finland so far if not the best.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I was actually really impressed with him in the exhibition game against Canada. He worked hard, was willing to go to tough areas, and took hits to make plays. If his play requires that many hockey clichés to describe, he must be doing something right. In fact, the first goal in that game happened because Donskoi and another Finnish player (Salomaki I think) won a battle along the half boards against three much larger Canadian players. Donskoi then passed it to Maatta, although he didn't get an assist because the puck was deflected slightly by a Canadian stick.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Any thoughts on Donskoi's future? Do you think an NHL team will sign him, or will he go to KHL? He's having a huge season in Liiga (5th in league scoring atm on a very stacked team), doubt he stays here for much longer. Also does Florida still hold his rights?

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
Any thoughts on Donskoi's future? Do you think an NHL team will sign him, or will he go to KHL? He's having a huge season in Liiga (5th in league scoring atm on a very stacked team), doubt he stays here for much longer. Also does Florida still hold his rights?

No they don't.

Donskoi is one of the few players in the Liiga that I think could play in the NHL. Needs to add some muscle + play one season in the AHL and he's ready IMO.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There have been some rumours about him going in the NHL next season. But we'll see. He and his teammate Joonas Kemppainen are only players in the Liiga I can see going to NHL. If you don't count Lindell..

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't see his game transforming well to the NHL level, he's your prototypical Liiga player that's just that, a Liiga player. A year or two in the AHL and he'll be back in Europe.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I don't see his game transforming well to the NHL level, he's your prototypical Liiga player that's just that, a Liiga player. A year or two in the AHL and he'll be back in Europe.

I would've said this 1,5 years ago too but he has developed into good 2 way player, who is strong on the corners and skates really well. He is just not a one dimensional dangler anymore like some people seem to think.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I just don\t see him making it to NHL, he\s not good enough to be a top 6 guy

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I would've said this 1,5 years ago too but he has developed into good 2 way player, who is strong on the corners and skates really well. He is just not a one dimensional dangler anymore like some people seem to think.
I agree that he's developed as a Liiga player, but I still don't think he's going to make it in the big league.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He could be the best penalty shot taker I've seen ever (without watching any statistics). Donskoi is also very skilled player, no doubt about it. But I tend to agree that he propably won't have what it takes to make it in the big league. KHL looks like more likely destination for the guy.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why you all keep saying he ends up going to KHL? Because Aaltonen never got to the NHL? Donskoi plays with 100 times more intensity than Aaltonen ever did.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

Well, he's a very very good Liiga player. Your assessment may be very true though, but I do believe that his future is somewhere else than liiga. Probably KHL.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Why you all keep saying he ends up going to KHL? Because Aaltonen never got to the NHL? Donskoi plays with 100 times more intensity than Aaltonen ever did.

Because it's more likely, as getting to the NHL is much harder. I'm not saying he can't make it in the NHL but I would say it's more likely that he doesn't.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
With wrong team, he is soon back in Europe. AHL first of course, but with right team he might get a good chance to make it. I hope he proves most of us wrong.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
He's not good enough top6 guy and there are tons of better bottom 6 guys in NHL/AHL, so I dont see his future in NHL.. Nevertheless he's been improving all the time so there's a chance of course, I just dont see that happening..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->