RW Jeremy Bracco - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2015, 61st, TOR) II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Exactly, when you’re a small one dimensional player, your one dimension better be pretty good. ‘Average’ production won’t be good enough to make it at the next level. He seems to be improving though, I still think he can be a decent middle six scoring winger but he needs to get stronger/faster.
I wouldn't call it average production, and it was pretty good for a 61st overall, who joined a team late. He's tied for 5th in primary points in the OHL among 2015 draftees (with Crouse and Zacha) and tied for 5th at even strength (ahead of Zacha) with the only person who it is a bit of surprise to be ahead of Fischer, no chance was he going to outproduce Marner or Strome. He's clearly a boom/bust guy but I expect him to challenge for the scoring title in the OHL next year. He's clearly a boom/bust guy, but his year was above average. He needs to improve skating in regards to burst and top speed, but his edge work is elite and his passing/vision is special.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
Thought he'd be able to put up a more competitive season scoring-wise.

The OHL is a pretty competitive league. He's done very well for a first year player. You need to look at his average per game - he's right up there. I have no doubt he will dominate in his second year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's weird how we always act like transitions from league to league are intended to be seamless to some. Think about what this kid went through this season. He moved from college where he had academics to worry about, a much more strict defensive system, and all sorts of personal life concerns that we have no idea about. These guys aren't robots. They're impacted by their surroundings. The transition from NCAA to the CHL isn't an easy one. I resolved myself to be happy if he scored at a PPG clip this year due to the adjustments in coaching systems and style. He didn't even have a full or partial camp to learn what the coaches wanted from him. How can we use that for any meaningful data at this point? I mean it does give us SOME indication of his skill level, but in a positive way in my estimation.

amack081

Nov 1, 2015

On a points per game basis, he put up comparable numbers to Alexander Nylander and Michael Dal Colle. Bracco is likely going to need another season in junior before he turns to the AHL level where I expect him to be in the top 10 in scoring next season.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
It's weird how we always act like transitions from league to league are intended to be seamless to some. Think about what this kid went through this season. He moved from college where he had academics to worry about, a much more strict defensive system, and all sorts of personal life concerns that we have no idea about. These guys aren't robots. They're impacted by their surroundings. The transition from NCAA to the CHL isn't an easy one. I resolved myself to be happy if he scored at a PPG clip this year due to the adjustments in coaching systems and style. He didn't even have a full or partial camp to learn what the coaches wanted from him. How can we use that for any meaningful data at this point? I mean it does give us SOME indication of his skill level, but in a positive way in my estimation.

Totally agree. And playing for Kitchener is like playing for the mini Leafs - lots of media and fan expectations. He has seamlessly fit right in.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I watched Bracco a couple of weeks back in Kitchener. Needs to work on a bunch of stuff, including being more engaged in the play and along the boards, and just his general conditioning (IMO). However, he has mad skills. His footwork and hands are exceptional. Great vision too.

All in all, a nice talent to pick up in the 2nd round. I'll be interested to see where he is 4 years from now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think some people are being too hard on him.

He had a good year after having to change leagues. I think that "some" people created unrealistic expectations when they were saying he was better than Konecny. And theat led to a whole bunch of needless expectations.

He will work on his issues over the summer and again next year. Lots of growth left in his game and time is on his side.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Then you should have tempered your expectations for a 3rd round pick.

Very respectable season. He definitely has the talent to dominate the league, but it was his first season afterall. I'm expecting big things when he goes back to the O next year.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Then you should have tempered your expectations for a 3rd round pick.

Very respectable season. He definitely has the talent to dominate the league, but it was his first season afterall. I'm expecting big things when he goes back to the O next year.

My expectations were and are duly tempered on Bracco. You'll find I'm a fairly conservative guy when it comes to my team's prospects. His production is perfectly respectable for a 2nd rounder, but it's not really indicative of the NHL impact player his time with the USNTDP suggested. Which is fine.

When he was drafted, there was much made about his breaking of Patrick Kane's record. I can't help but feel that a player of the caliber that that suggests would have had a more competitive draft+1 season of CHL hockey.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think some people are being too hard on him.

He had a good year after having to change leagues. I think that "some" people created unrealistic expectations when they were saying he was better than Konecny. And theat led to a whole bunch of needless expectations.

He will work on his issues over the summer and again next year. Lots of growth left in his game and time is on his side.
For a late second rounder, the expectations are far too high, I agree. He was slated to go late in the first round for a reason-he has things he needs to work on. I'm glad we now have a patient management group because prospects like him will take time, assuming he ever makes it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why are people upset with him? He was 17th in OHL ppg, that's pretty damn good.

I said it before, I think it came from expectations. And a lot came from the Konecny thread because that pick was the Leafs pick before they dropped down a few times. Here were some of the quotes:

"Bracco is already showing, and has always shown he is on the level of Konecny."

"International play or junior play, where has Konecny shown to be above?"

"Bracco has 14 points in 12 games and is a lock for Team USA at the WJC's"

Sadly, these were all in the Konecny thread...and the mods cleaned up many, many more posts due to derailment. It was back in November fwiw.

But as for Bracco, no one should be upset with the year he just had as a 2nd round pick. And next year will be better too.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I said it before, I think it came from expectations. And a lot came from the Konecny thread because that pick was the Leafs pick before they dropped down a few times. Here were some of the quotes:

"Bracco is already showing, and has always shown he is on the level of Konecny."

Sadly, these were all in the Konecny thread...and the mods cleaned up many, many more posts due to derailment. It was back in November fwiw.

But as for Bracco, no one should be upset with the year he just had as a 2nd round pick. And next year will be better too.

I don't think the comparison between the two is that far off actually

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Upside: Tyler Ennis/Jordan Eberle

Bracco still needs a lot of work on his game but he's very young and is in good hands with the Maple Leafs and the Marlies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think the comparison between the two is that far off actually

Except that Konecny is better offensively, defensively, and more physical. Konecny goes between 11-15 in a re-draft. Bracco would still be a 2nd rounder.

But as I said, Bracco had a good year in comparison to where he was drafted. No one should be down on the pick.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Except that Konecny is better offensively, defensively, and more physical. Konecny goes between 11-15 in a re-draft. Bracco would still be a 2nd rounder.

But as I said, Bracco had a good year in comparison to where he was drafted. No one should be down on the pick.

Konecny is better than Bracco.

It's a good thing for Toronto that we came out of that trade with Bracco, Dermott and Dzierkals.

Dzierkals is an incredibly underrated prospect.

Mar 12, 2009

To be fair, it was the same couple posters (one in particular) repeating themselves over and over. Other Leaf fans, including myself, were posting in that thread agreeing that Konecny is the better player. I don't think their offensive capabilities are that far off (Konecny has a better shot, playmaking they are roughly equal in my views), but Konecny is a much more well rounded player at this point in time. I think Bracco has a bright future, I was happy that we got him at that spot at the time of the draft and still am.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To be fair, it was the same couple posters (one in particular) repeating themselves over and over. Other Leaf fans, including myself, were posting in that thread agreeing that Konecny is the better player. I don't think their offensive capabilities are that far off (Konecny has a better shot, playmaking they are roughly equal in my views), but Konecny is a much more well rounded player at this point in time. I think Bracco has a bright future, I was happy that we got him at that spot at the time of the draft and still am.

And that's all fair to say. Both teams got what they wanted in the trade...win-win.

I think if Bracco next year, has the season Konecny just had, it would be very good progression for him. As I said before, he had a very good year for where he was drafted.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
2 assists through the 1st period in tonights playoff game. Both on the PP, the one was a filthy pass.

Edit: 3 PP Assists tonight

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

LOL. Why would they? Unless there was something wrong with them?

The kid got 64 points in 49 games, in his very first season in the O. He did great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad