RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th, VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hey Flyguy just a question for you:

Are you a Hitmen fan? You seem to watch nearly every game and post very negative things about Virtanen at any opportunity (I'm not hating, just an observation). Anyway, I'm just curious what your affiliation is with the Hitmen/Virtanen and why you feel he isn't a very good prospect.

LOl that's what I asked him, and he got offended. I think it has to do with him being drafted by Vancouver, which makes him a easy to hate prospect. Meanwhile these very same guys such as leafsfan1992 are nowhere to found in the McCann and Horvat threads. oh well.

If they hate your prospect and they struggling they will jump all over it and question their productivity, meanwhile the ones that are doing good, those very same users are nowhere to be found.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Over the course of the season he hasn't always been on the top PP unit, at least according to the Hitmen posters I've spoken with. Got bumped up shortly after missing a game post-WJC (basically the last 15 or so games) but before then he was often on the 2nd unit. Hence the comments that his production would likely be higher if he'd been there all season (as opposed to recently).
He's been on the 1st unit for most of the year. French was changing PP units by the game early in the season so a game here or there he might have played on the 2nd unit, but for the most part Jake has been on the 1st unit. Especially the second half. I realize this because Sanheim has been on the second unit most of the year and to my recollection the few times Sanheim and Virtanen played on the PP together they looked good but French rarely used them together. Sure enough Virtanen got put on the 2nd unit tonight and Sanheim the first (even though he is so out of place).
Hey Flyguy just a question for you:

Are you a Hitmen fan? You seem to watch nearly every game and post very negative things about Virtanen at any opportunity (I'm not hating, just an observation). Anyway, I'm just curious what your affiliation is with the Hitmen/Virtanen and why you feel he isn't a very good prospect.
Flyers fan. Watch most of the games to see Sanheim and Fazleev. I have nothing against Virtanen, just have high standards for a guy of his skill set. Never said he wasn't a good prospect. He's just very inconsistent and leaves you wanting more. He'll make unbelievable, jaw dropping plays, and then the next time he has the puck he can't make a simple pass. With his tools all he needs is for something to click just a little bit. Will that happen? I don't know, but his skillset will buy him time to try and figure it out.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
LOl that's what I asked him, and he got offended. I think it has to do with him being drafted by Vancouver, which makes him a easy to hate prospect. Meanwhile these very same guys such as leafsfan1992 are nowhere to found in the McCann and Horvat threads. oh well.

If they hate your prospect and they struggling they will jump all over it and question their productivity, meanwhile the ones that are doing good, those very same users are nowhere to be found.

Ah that Flyers fan is what ever. Sanheim is on the Hitmen so I guess he watches all the games.

What's really strange is that the Leafs fan that bumps the thread when he's in a slump. That same day Virtanen breaks his slump. Maybe Leafs should bump the thread more often. :laugh:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Flyers fan. Watch most of the games to see Sanheim and Fazleev. I have nothing against Virtanen, just have high standards for a guy of his skill set. Never said he wasn't a good prospect. He's just very inconsistent and leaves you wanting more. He'll make unbelievable, jaw dropping plays, and then the next time he has the puck he can't make a simple pass. With his tools all he needs is for something to click just a little bit. Will that happen? I don't know, but his skillset will buy him time to try and figure it out.

JV is sometimes compared to Erik Cole. I certainly see stylistic similarities between them.

That type of goal and that method of attack is right in JV's wheelhouse, wouldn't you say?

Erik Cole is a solid player in the power-forward mold but has never been a real star in the league. I could see the same status applying to JV if his development doesn't take off as anticipated.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I'm a Flyers fan. Why would I hate a Vancouver prospect? That makes no sense. I'm not in the McCann thread or Horvat thread. I don't watch them enough to have an opinion on them. I've watched Jake play about 40 times this year. I have a pretty good idea of what kind of player he is and what kind of season he is having. If you want to think everything is peaches and cream, just ignore my posts. Just trying to give an honest assessment. I commented on his play after he had 12 points in 5 games. I commented on his play when he had 1 point in 7 games. He's the same player. Talented, but inconsistent.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm a Flyers fan. Why would I hate a Vancouver prospect? That makes no sense. I'm not in the McCann thread or Horvat thread. I don't watch them enough to have an opinion on them. I've watched Jake play about 40 times this year. I have a pretty good idea of what kind of player he is and what kind of season he is having. If you want to think everything is peaches and cream, just ignore my posts. Just trying to give an honest assessment. I commented on his play after he had 12 points in 5 games. I commented on his play when he had 1 point in 7 games. He's the same player. Talented, but inconsistent.

I actually wasn't refer to you in most of my post, sorry for the confusion. just the 1st part. I kindly asked if you can post some of his positive in Virtannens game since you posted all negatives, but then you said, "if we (Canucks fans) are waiting for praises for his game we wont get it,"

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
JV is sometimes compared to Erik Cole. I certainly see stylistic similarities between them.

That type of goal and that method of attack is right in JV's wheelhouse, wouldn't you say?

Erik Cole is a solid player in the power-forward mold but has never been a real star in the league. I could see the same status applying to JV if his development doesn't take off as anticipated.
Yeah definitely. I could see that.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ah that Flyers fan is what ever. Sanheim is on the Hitmen so I guess he watches all the games.

What's really strange is that the Leafs fan that bumps the thread when he's in a slump. That same day Virtanen breaks his slump. Maybe Leafs should bump the thread more often. :laugh:

Zack Kassian thread too. Not really leafs fans, more like Nucks haters, Kassian goes point per game for the past 3 weeks, Kassian proposal threads and the Hodgson threads (since its the Hodgson is better then Kassian thread) gets buried alive.

Kassian is a healthy scratch against the Rangers, Kassian thread gets bumped again. Kassian scores 2 against the Rangers, Kassian thread is nowhere to be found, lol!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
People forget tho how young this kid is. He was almost eligible for THIS draft.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow

Ya I think Erik Cole's a good comparison I'm always reminded of Chris Krieder when I watch Jake play

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
your quoting the wrong person.

Please follow the root. Your good buddy started it.calling us alike.

It was all jake virtannen until he mentioned how Nylander was getting trashed, blaming it on us
And want us to get the same treatment they are????? Wth is this. There's barely any canucks fans responding to that thread. Nylander thread right?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Where did the poster blame Canucks fans?

I agree with the point he was making. As soon as a player gets drafted, any criticism directed towards him leads to fans questioning the motives of the posters doing so. Even mentioning a weakness is taken as a slight.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
People forget tho how young this kid is. He was almost eligible for THIS draft.

And where do you think he would get drafted this year? He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this year. 42pts in 38 games, barely over a ppg. Would he even be a top ten draft pick?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
And where do you think he would get drafted this year? He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this year. 42pts in 38 games, barely over a ppg. Would he even be a top ten draft pick?

His skillset translates very well into the NHL, he is going to crack the line-up next season according to Benning.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
His skillset translates very well into the NHL, he is going to crack the line-up next season according to Benning.

lol. Benning said nothing of the sort. It's amazing how things can be taken out of context. Benning said he hopes he can compete for a roster spot next year. I'm sure he would say the same of almost every Canuck prospect. Far from saying he is going to crack the lineup next year.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Scouts are talking about taking Crouse in the top 10 and he has some mediocre numbers albeit on a much worse team. Production does matter but I don't think the scouts put as much emphasis on it as we do.
I thought he said that he might be ready for next season? I don't know about that.

I think he could benefit with another year in the OHL. He is still quite young and a year without the injuries and playing as one of the top guys in the WJC would be helpful as well. We will see though. I am fairly sure he could crack the lineup but would that be best for his long term development? He is a different player from Horvat who made the jump rather easily. I suppose they can always give him a 9 game tryout.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
lol. Benning said nothing of the sort. It's amazing how things can be taken out of context. Benning said he hopes he can compete for a roster spot next year. I'm sure he would say the same of almost every Canuck prospect. Far from saying he is going to crack the lineup next year.

He has said it multiple times on radio, he pushed to have Bo Horvat on the line-up this season as Canucks are transitioning their core players to new ones.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
He has said it multiple times on radio, he pushed to have Bo Horvat on the line-up this season as Canucks are transitioning their core players to new ones.

You do realize there is a huge difference in saying he expects him to be on the team and saying he hopes he competes for a roster spot ya?

Comparing him to Horvat is pointless because they play extremely different games. Horvat was lauded for having a mature NHL style game. Virtanen's weakness is his lack of consistency and very raw playing style, it won't translate well to the NHL and he will be returned to the Whl. It will be best for him as he will need to develop slowly and properly to take advantage of his incredible but very raw skill set

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I remember Benning saying if Jake can come in and have a good camp then they will give him a shot in the line up. He will probably get 9 games like Horvat did and they will take it from there.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Young line. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Kenins-Horvat-Virtanen given a go together next pre-season.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Well if Lawson Crouse is a top 10 pick in this draft then Jake Virtanen is without a doubt a top ten pick if he were in this years draft.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well if Lawson Crouse is a top 10 pick in this draft then Jake Virtanen is without a doubt a top ten pick if he were in this years draft.
Crouse is 6'4, has a complete game something Virtanen lacks. Virtanen will be a Simmonds/Downie type of player, not a big PWF like Crouse but a grinder that is gritty and has good wheels with good natural talents.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Highly unlikely he will go top 10 in 2015. The only player from 14 that will go in the top 10 is Aaron ekblad who will end up going ahead of where hanian foes. other then that no way jake is a top 10 pick in this draft.

arsmaster*

Crouse is 6'4, has a complete game something Virtanen lacks. Virtanen will be a Simmonds/Downie type of player, not a big PWF like Crouse but a grinder that is gritty and has good wheels with good natural talents.
Simmonds and Downie couldn't be more different and couldn't be anymore different than what virtanen projects as.

Ps. Take a look at PP scoring leaders for the NHL. Simmonds is one of the best net front players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad