Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Virtanen_Hitmen_672x412.jpg

Prior Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1141629

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I hate the Canucks but this kid is better than what he showed in the WJC. Too bad most people only saw him play the 6 games so they will draw their conclusions from those.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I hate the Canucks but this kid is better than what he showed in the WJC. Too bad most people only saw him play the 6 games so they will draw their conclusions from those.

I thought he was ok, really good in the first few games and his play fell off after that. I disagree with everyone says he has "poor" hockey sense. I thought his play without the puck was decent, and although he played really physical I liked his balance between attacking the puck and attacking the body depending on the situation.

However I agree that his on ice vision and puck distribution is not a strength of his. Also like many have said his cycle game isn't the best, which is surprising because he seems to play a pretty heavy game and is strong on the puck. But if he was a great passer, had a great cycle game etc he wouldnt have been avaliable at 6, happy with the pick although I thought it was really close between nylander/ehlers/virt. All depends on the type of player you were looking for.

JA

The Hitmen make their only national TV appearance this Sunday at 12 PM PST on Sportsnet.

Hopefully fans will tune in to see how Jake performs.

Four videos that highlight his offensive and physical qualities:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I thought he was alright. He made the team as a draftee, something Max Domi and Nurse wasn't able to do, (they didn't even get invited) so I saw that as a positive.

the hate comes from the franchise he was drafted with.

At least someone had the courage to admit they hated Vancouver but had good words to say about Jake, others who hated him looked for ways to slam him.

He was alright. Did his part as a bottom 6 player, out of the bottom 6, he was by far the most effective of em all, in fact he also played his way onto McDavid's wing for 2 games which is also another positive I took out of his tourny.

looks like a future 50 point player, who makes a lot of hits and score around 25 -30 goals. a punishing player that will force other teams dmans to keep their heads up.

May I ask why do you hate them? I'm just kinda curious what excuse people are using these days. They say the Canucks dive.... to me that's utter garbage because everyone dives.

just curious.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I thought he was alright. He made the team as a draftee, something Max Domi and Nurse wasn't able to do, (they didn't even get invited) so I saw that as a positive.

the hate comes from the franchise he was drafted with.

At least someone had the courage to admit they hated Vancouver but had good words to say about Jake, others who hated him looked for ways to slam him.

He was alright. Did his part as a bottom 6 player, out of the bottom 6, he was by far the most effective of em all, in fact he also played his way onto McDavid's wing for 2 games which is also another positive I took out of his tourny.

looks like a future 50 point player, who makes a lot of hits and score around 25 -30 goals. a punishing player that will force other teams dmans to keep their heads up.

May I ask why do you hate them? I'm just kinda curious what excuse people are using these days. They say the Canucks dive.... to me that's utter garbage because everyone dives.

just curious.

I hate the Canucks because I am a Hawks fan. I hate the Wings and Blues more but the Canucks are up there. Its got little to do with the team anymore although I still dislike Burrows. Most of the guys that I used to really dislike have moved on like Kesler, Lapierre and Torres. Throw in Gillis (for all the whining) and AV too.

As far as these threads go, I find as soon as a player gets drafted, the thread goes downhill. You cannot criticize a prospect because that team's fans will get on you about it meanwhile there will be some that will use the opportunity to slam the player just because they do not like the team.

Anyways I like Virtanen as a prospect, not as much as some selected after him but I don't consider him a bad choice at #6 either. I will find reasons to hate him when he plays for the Canucks but I will never be one to hope that a 18 year old kid fails to live up to his potential just because he got drafted by a team I do not like.

As far as Virtanen's tournament went, he wasn't given the situation to be successful due to the depth of the team. I thought he was doing well in the bottom 6 but Fabbri's injury forced the line juggling and I thought he was never able gel with his linemates when moved up. I hope he comes back next year though. Imo he could use another year in junior from what I have seen of him. The Canucks have the depth that they don't need to rush him into the NHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hard to believe these guys are in the NHL already! :sarcasm:

Domi's goal was really nice.

All I saw in the Virtanen gif was him repeatedly crossing the red line. :dunno:

What do you mean?, Does the video not work?.

Here I found a gif of it, in quite good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What do you mean?, Does the video not work?

Yeah, the vine wasn't working for whatever reason. That gif works, but it's still loading as I'm typing this. :laugh:

-Inability to make a pass.
-Loses puck crossing blue-line and luckily picks it back up again.
-Causes teammate to fall over.
-Doesn't call his shot.

2/10 would not draft.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Virtanen with a goal and 3 assists today. Now has 12 points in his last 4 games

12 in last 5 (6 in 2 games this weekend and 6 in 3 last weekend). Seems to have regained his form after the surgery and 5 months off ice. Calgary is also playing a lot better as a whole and with more chemistry. Really excited for Jake to have a strong final 20 games and playoffs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Also had a nice assist on Prince Albert's only goal last night. :sarcasm:

I don't know what Vancouver's plans are for him, but I think he needs another year in the WHL. For every highlight play he makes there are about 3 WTF moments.

There's no doubting the talent. I know its become cliche now, but you can see why people question his IQ and his ability to play in a structured system. Most of his plays are off the rush. He looks lost in the offensive zone at times.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Highlights from the game on Hitmen site.

http://hitmenhockey.com/video/50798

Not surprisingly Jake's all over it and moving the puck quite well. Nice goal from the boards as well - barely any release and it goes bar down from the half wall. Didn't catch the whole game so I dunno if he looked lost in the o zone or had 3 WTF plays for every good one but hard to imagine that was the case based on the good plays he did make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad