RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th, VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
He gets plenty of PP time. He's on the first unit. They don't run the PP through him though. You would think with his shot they would set him up for one timers but Adam Tambellini is much better at getting pucks on net so they usually defer to him.

The Hitmen are scoring at an obnoxious pace right now - in their current 6-game winning streak they have outscored their opponents 40-5:

5-2 over Regina
7-0 over Swift Current
5-2 over Edmonton
8-0 over Vancouver
10-1 over Prince Albert
5-0 over Edmonton

Most of those games have been "decided" early with the Hitmen taking a quick lead, which has really altered the ice time for many of the top players. You're right in that the top PP unit includes Virtanen, but the "third" PP unit with the likes of Draude, Lang, and Morrison was on the ice quite often in the last 3 games.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lol fly guy refuses to say anything positive about him. Absolutely refusing. Points out he negatives, which I am totally fine with, but he has to be doing something right at this point to have his greatest offensive outburst, any hitmen fans care to say something ?

And yes I would totally consider trading him for the 6th pick.

...? I think you're exaggerating the way he's talking about Virtanen. Neutral observations about the powerplay aren't negatives. If the over-ager is better at getting pucks on net then so be it.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I was high on Virtanen before the draft but less so now.

Whats up with him? Very low point totals for where he should be in his progression and projects to score 15 less goals than a year ago, and is barely above a PPG. Not writing him off yet, but I expected to see much more at this point. Any input form someone who has seen him regularly?

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

Whats up with him? Very low point totals for where he should be in his progression and projects to score 15 less goals than a year ago, and is barely above a PPG. Not writing him off yet, but I expected to see much more at this point. Any input form someone who has seen him regularly?

Because points mean everything. :handclap:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

For a prospect like Virtanen, points should mean alot. I know he is very physical, can lay big hits, and I have seem posters comment on his sound defensive play, but from an offensive standpoint at this point he seems to be a disappointment, or atleast not where he should be. His offense should be what separates him from being a third line grinder and a first line RW offensive power forward.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If Virtanen could stop getting injured that would be cool too.

1 bad stretch of 7 games is meh. He had like 2 goals called off randomly too.

Be nice if he didn't, miss training camp, miss beginning of the season, didn't get bounced around in the lineup, didn't get limited PP time, didn't injure his OTHER shoulder. I guess it's too much for a Canucks prospect not to get injured :rant:

Love

Feb 29, 2012

He didn't say that, so stop being so sensitive.

And he's right. Virtanen should be producing more than he is. He arguably has the best raw tools of any player in the CHL (Skating, shot, and size are all NHL level), yet he puts up very average numbers.

I don't watch him consistently enough to know why this is the case, but it's somewhat concerning. I've seen him dominate at times, why not all the time? Or at least on a more consistent basis.

I'm going to see him when the Hitmen play the Rockets next weekend so I'll be watching him very closely.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
His stats suffer greatly due to how the Hitmen play. They roll 4 lines, and spread out their PP time very evenly. If Virtanen Played on a traditional CHL team that just rode their 1st line he would be much better off stat wise.

But as someone that has seasons tickets to the Hitmen, his play is much more than just his statistical output, although he should be doing more stats wise.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
His stats suffer greatly due to how the Hitmen play. They roll 4 lines, and spread out their PP time very evenly. If Virtanen Played on a traditional CHL team that just rode their 1st line he would be much better off stat wise.

But as someone that has seasons tickets to the Hitmen, his play is much more than just his statistical output, although he should be doing more stats wise.

Thanks for the update.

A lot of Canucks fans have been pretty upset with the production. This makes it sound like the lack of production is so alarming.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Virtanen could stop getting injured that would be cool too.

1 bad stretch of 7 games is meh. He had like 2 goals called off randomly too.

Be nice if he didn't, miss training camp, miss beginning of the season, didn't get bounced around in the lineup, didn't get limited PP time, didn't injure his OTHER shoulder. I guess it's too much for a Canucks prospect not to get injured :rant:
Second time I've seen this and its just not true. He's out there first every time with Tambellini, Rankin, Helgesen, and Bean.

When Virtanen was putting up points a couple weeks ago Calgary was running teams out of the building. They were playing "fastbreak hockey" pretty much which plays to his strengths They were always on the attack. When the games are tight , which they have been of late, he seems to disappear.

Mar 12, 2009

They seem to when fans are talking about or criticizing prospects on other teams...but oddly enough points don't seem to matter when posters are talking about prospects that belong to the team they are a fan of when they aren't producing...interesting. The amount of excuses I see for Virtanen's lack of production is quite high, and their seems be at least some conflicting 'reports' about the legitimacy of the of the excuses (ie. very limited pp time which has been mentioned a few times and seems to be disputed).

Not saying he's a bad prospect by any means as I haven't seen him outside of the WJC's, just surprised by the lack of alarm/concern Canuck fans are showing...maybe I'm just surprised because I'm a Leaf fan and can only imagine how our fan base and others would be treating him after being that high of a pick and not increasing his production to date.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
They seem to when fans are talking about or criticizing prospects on other teams...but oddly enough points don't seem to matter when posters are talking about prospects that belong to the team they are a fan of when they aren't producing...interesting. The amount of excuses I see for Virtanen's lack of production is quite high, and their seems be at least some conflicting 'reports' about the legitimacy of the of the excuses (ie. very limited pp time which has been mentioned a few times and seems to be disputed).

Not saying he's a bad prospect by any means as I haven't seen him outside of the WJC's, just surprised by the lack of alarm/concern Canuck fans are showing...maybe I'm just surprised because I'm a Leaf fan and can only imagine how our fan base and others would be treating him after being that high of a pick and not increasing his production to date.

Oh we're pretty concerned, just not willing to call him a bust over a cold stretch.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

We do, it's just that, it's not talked about here, we talk about it in our forums amongs ourselves. To some it's a concern to some it's not. For some stats mean everything for the others, stats does matter, but not too serious about it, because as we all know, prospects that rip it up in juniors means nothing anyways. you guys being hard core hockey fans should know that.... right??? You(you leafs fans are truly a different breed in this forum) like... ripping it up in juniors or NOT ripping it up, its not the most important thing.

For example Andrew Ladd and Getzlaf, they were just slightly above a point per game in their final years in the WHL, as 20 year olds (both with Calgary hitmen, go figure), so it's really not an issue. Both players end up having pretty good careers at this point

meanwhile Canucks use to have prospects that ripped it up. (Cody Hodgson, super stud 15 points in the 2009 wjc) Anton Rodin 11 points (lead his swedish team in points 2010 wjc) totally useless.

not a big deal, will love to see him rip it up more, if not, its' ok. a lot of Canucks fans know he needs another year in juniors.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Well he had a shoulder injury. WJC and Subway series. Also sometimes a player cools down for a bit. Otherwise he is doing fine.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Huge game for him tonight, dominant all over the ice, He could just be one of those streaky type players.

1 goal 2 assists, should have multiple goals.

The Jesus*

Oh we're pretty concerned, just not willing to call him a bust over a cold stretch.

Not a bust, but top end prospects are generally expected to produce at a higher clip than they did during their draft year. It's called progress.

Sure there have been obstacles for Virtanen, but this rate of production is concerning. I never really saw him as an elite prospect, and this is sort of confirming my suspicions.

If this rate of production continues, there is no reason to blame people who lower their expectations of him. I think we all already knew he was never going to be the driving force of any line he plays on due to lacking hockey sense, but the fact that he's struggling to produce in junior at this stage is very concerning.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Not a bust, but top end prospects are generally expected to produce at a higher clip than they did during their draft year. It's called progress.

Sure there have been obstacles for Virtanen, but this rate of production is concerning. I never really saw him as an elite prospect, and this is sort of confirming my suspicions.

If this rate of production continues, there is no reason to blame people who lower their expectations of him. I think we all already knew he was never going to be the driving force of any line he plays on due to lacking hockey sense, but the fact that he's struggling to produce in junior at this stage is very concerning.

Some players simply look better with NHL talent then without. Bo Horvat is a perfect example of a player who looks near elite in the NHL, yet in the junior he was very good, but not incredible (except 1 huge playoff run)

The Jesus*

Some players simply look better with NHL talent then without. Bo Horvat is a perfect example of a player who looks near elite in the NHL, yet in the junior he was very good, but not incredible (except 1 huge playoff run)

Yeah, but he really stepped it up after his draft year. Which is what I was saying. He put up 13 more points in 13 less games. Massive increase in output.

That is absolutely expected of top prospects. The fact Virtanen has stagnated should cause some level of concern.

I wanted Ehlers. I think passing him up was a huge mistake (the Q is one of the few junior leagues I actually follow). So I might be a little biased.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1g 2a he could have 2 goals but he goobered up.

Slump busting game I hope.
He could have had 4 or 5 (especially the one where the goalie literally had his back to the play and Jake didn't have his head up). Oddly enough the worst chance he had ended up in the back of the net.

He got demoted from the 1st line and 1st PP for tonight's game. Maybe a wake up call for him.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Second time I've seen this and its just not true. He's out there first every time with Tambellini, Rankin, Helgesen, and Bean.

When Virtanen was putting up points a couple weeks ago Calgary was running teams out of the building. They were playing "fastbreak hockey" pretty much which plays to his strengths They were always on the attack. When the games are tight , which they have been of late, he seems to disappear.

Over the course of the season he hasn't always been on the top PP unit, at least according to the Hitmen posters I've spoken with. Got bumped up shortly after missing a game post-WJC (basically the last 15 or so games) but before then he was often on the 2nd unit. Hence the comments that his production would likely be higher if he'd been there all season (as opposed to recently).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He could have had 4 or 5 (especially the one where the goalie literally had his back to the play and Jake didn't have his head up). Oddly enough the worst chance he had ended up in the back of the net.

He got demoted from the 1st line and 1st PP for tonight's game. Maybe a wake up cal for himl.

Sometimes players need a wake up like that. Hope he can sustain it for the next little bit.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Honestly tho, with his size skill and speed, the worst case scenario is Raffi Torres, which honestly, is not worth 6th overall, but will be a contributor for the canucks for a long time.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

He got demoted from the 1st line and 1st PP for tonight's game. Maybe a wake up cal for himl.

Hey Flyguy just a question for you:

Are you a Hitmen fan? You seem to watch nearly every game and post very negative things about Virtanen at any opportunity (I'm not hating, just an observation). Anyway, I'm just curious what your affiliation is with the Hitmen/Virtanen and why you feel he isn't a very good prospect.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
For a prospect like Virtanen, points should mean alot. I know he is very physical, can lay big hits, and I have seem posters comment on his sound defensive play, but from an offensive standpoint at this point he seems to be a disappointment, or atleast not where he should be. His offense should be what separates him from being a third line grinder and a first line RW offensive power forward.

COCO where you at now :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad