RW Emile Poirier (2013, 22nd, CGY)

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Feaster takes Poirier and gets destroyed.

Kekalainen takes Dano and the world is right.

Both had second round rankings before the draft.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

It was laughable listening to the TSN morons tear Feaster apart when he reaches and then applaud other GM's for doing the same thing.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Feaster takes Poirier and gets destroyed.

Kekalainen takes Dano and the world is right.

Both had second round rankings before the draft.

What I don't understand is why Poirier was not ranked as a 1st rounder by most publications when from all accounts he has no major holes in his game. The only critique you hear about this player is that he has an "awkward stride", but at the same time is said to be one of the most explosive and better skaters available in the draft..

Which other players in this draft led their team in scoring, had 30+ goals, 70+ points, and over 100+ PIMS? The only player within that range from what I can see is Kerby Rychel, and he went at #19.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site

What do you expect? Flames fans are happy with the Poirier pick.

If Canucks fans are happy with Shinkaruk, good for you but there's no reason to come into this thread and start talking about a player the Flames (and many other teams for that matter) wanted nothing to do with.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Poirier was fine at 22, although he would have been better value at 25-28. If they really liked him they couldn't afford to trade down knowing he was a target for the Habs. In general he reminds me of a mix of Emerson Etem's explosiveness and quick hands and Michael Frolik's two way game.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Loved the Klimchuk pick (one of the most underrated prospects before the drat imo), but the Poirier one is a bit of a head scratcher...

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Loved the Klimchuk pick (one of the most underrated prospects before the drat imo), but the Poirier one is a bit of a head scratcher...

Again this has been asked time and time again, but can you explain, or anyone for that matter, why you think its a head scratcher???

Whats his flaws? Why is it believed he should be a late first round prospect?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not if you actually watched him it wasn't. He is a game breaker.

Terrible pick. His ceiling is a 3rd liner in my opinion.

When did you watch him? Im curious you living in Vancouver and all, I can assure you when you go head to head against Mackinnon and Drouin and outplay them two strait playoff games you have more then 3rd line potential. He is relentless on the puck with awesome finish, explosive speed and an edge to his game.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
What I don't understand is why Poirier was not ranked as a 1st rounder by most publications when from all accounts he has no major holes in his game. The only critique you hear about this player is that he has an "awkward stride", but at the same time is said to be one of the most explosive and better skaters available in the draft..

Which other players in this draft led their team in scoring, had 30+ goals, 70+ points, and over 100+ PIMS? The only player within that range from what I can see is Kerby Rychel, and he went at #19.

Lack of actual in person viewing? For all intents and purposes no scout has really declared major holes in his game unless they think his offensive ceiling isn't that high? But then Monahan put up similar points in a similar sitaution yet is ranked 6th.

Reload

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
The thing I find odd is that, if you switched the positions of the Klimchuk and Poirier picks, so Klimchuk was selected at 22 and Poirier was selected at 28, I don't think people would really be complaining at all.

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
Not if you actually watched him it wasn't. He is a game breaker.

When did you watch him? Im curious you living in Vancouver and all, I can assure you when you go head to head against Mackinnon and Drouin and outplay them two strait playoff games you have more then 3rd line potential. He is relentless on the puck with awesome finish, explosive speed and an edge to his game.

Twice in-person in Dec. He's fast, but that's the only thing I see going for him. I don't think his offence can translate to the pro game. Reminds me of a grittier Raymond.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The thing I find odd is that, if you switched the positions of the Klimchuk and Poirier picks, so Klimchuk was selected at 22 and Poirier was selected at 28, I don't think people would really be complaining at all.

That's what I said lol. Oh well, in the end it really doesn't matter where they were picked if they both reach their potential.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
lol at this, Flames fans seem bitter over the Shinkaruk thing.

Poirer seems like a 50/50 pick. He might even be better than Monahan who knows.

What did you expect a Cancuks fan took a shot and Flames fan answered.

I love Hunter he is a great offensive force, but he is smallish and not great defensively and apparently he had poor interviews and was seen as someone who could have a bad attitude.

He is a boom or bust prospect we took a bigger, faster, more physical player hoping he could become a better version of Glencross.

Both picks have merit and were solid picks only time will tell which player would be better. Hopefully both sides can stop stupid the comments about the other teams draft as I think both had a good draft (I doubt it).

Fearless Leaf*

Yup, this exactly. I don't know why some people just can't seem to use their brain and think outside the box for once.

Klimchuk to me seems like an awesome prospect and he would have been a fine pick if he was anywhere from 15 onwards. He has solid potential to be a top 6 forward and maybe even more.

Poirier on other hand is not really a reach around the late first because I have seen some mocks that had him late 1st or early 2nd.

All in all, this was a very good draft by Flames and if I were a Flames fan, I wouldn't worry about what some armchair person has to say and just be glad with the prospects that they have drafted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lack of actual in person viewing? For all intents and purposes no scout has really declared major holes in his game unless they think his offensive ceiling isn't that high? But then Monahan put up similar points in a similar sitaution yet is ranked 6th.

I think this is it and he really turned it on in the second half and the playoffs. Button was at games 3 an 4 against Halifax and next thing you knew he shot up his rankings from a late 2nd to a later first. Most of the major prognosticators did not watch him all season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Twice in-person in Dec. He's fast, but that's the only thing I see going for him. I don't think his offence can translate to the pro game. Reminds me of a grittier Raymond.

So is a bigger grittier Raymond not a second liner?... He also hadn't caught fire yet in December, well actually that's right around the time he started to find his game.

By the playoffs he was a completely different player, more confidence and I think he was bigger allowing for his power game to evolve.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Calgary did a great pick on Poirier. He was a guy that I really wanted in the Leafs system.

Poirier is a really complete package. To go along with his speed and offensive skills, he has a lot of grit, a good defensive and two-way game, and he's clutch.

A great pick, the Flames got a hell of a prospect here. You will like him a lot Flames fans.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Calgary did a great pick on Poirier. He was a guy that I really wanted in the Leafs system.

Poirier is a really complete package. To go along with his speed and offensive skills, he has a lot of grit, a good defensive and two-way game, and he's clutch.

A great pick, the Flames got a hell of a prospect here. You will like him a lot Flames fans.

Given the fact that your username is QMJHL Follower, I'll instantly take your advice over anyone elses.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Not at all, I wish Hunter(great name) the best but know this he dropped like a rock in the draft because he came 50 out 50(ISS top 50) in testing from the combine..huge black flag.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004

Poirer seems like a 50/50 pick. He might even be better than Monahan who knows.

No one is bitter, it's just tiring to hear "LOL FEASTER" when like twelve other teams passed on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad