RW Emile Poirier (2013, 22nd, CGY)

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
So I went way back and didn't saw any post of him so I've decide to do one and also show you a full report on him (in french) that I made back in February and would like to have feedback. Don't worry there's also an english write up with notes on some other 2013 eligibles like Mantha and Dunn. Check it out and let me know what you think. You can check out other parts of the site who are all english too. Thanks

http://elitehockeyscouting.wix.com/elitescouting#!lhjmq/cq4e

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I think I speak for a lot of Flames fans when I say I was really disappointing with this pick when it was first announced but after some research and opinions from Habs fans, I'm loving it.

He's not a "main stream" prospect but quite a few analysts had him going in the 20s. Not to mention it was rumored the Habs wanted him at 25, so taking him at 22 was needed.

Also, dat speed

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Incredible speed!

Solid numbers, lots of PIM, physical, intelligent, and good size! I actually really like this pick!

He also said in his interview he plays RW

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He reminds me a bit of the Jankowski pick. Lots of skill, but riskier than some players the Flames could have taken.

Since the Flames already had Monahan, I think this was a decent pick for them. It's not like the guy was unknown - the general consensus seems to be he was a high to mid 2nd rounder with some late 1st grades.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I thought he went a little early but the kid can play. Really hoping he was going to slide to us at 34. Good pick for the Flames

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He reminds me a bit of the Jankowski pick. Lots of skill, but riskier than some players the Flames could have taken.

Since the Flames already had Monahan, I think this was a decent pick for them. It's not like the guy was unknown - the general consensus seems to be he was a high to mid 2nd rounder with some late 1st grades.

The big difference between this and the Janko pick is that Poirier has played in a proven competitive league so he is way less of a risk or project. It appears as though this guy should of likely of been ranked a lot higher, 22-25.

When Feaster is saying they had all their guys in the top 13 on their lists that isn't entirely accurate. The realize certain players are going to be gone at certain points so they make a compartmentized list, so some players are left off it. That is their list, not their overall ranking list.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I watched him live a few times and based on the terrible scouting evaluation by tsn I have come to the conclusion outside of button none of them ever watched him play. I don't think this pick is anything like the Jankowski pick. Poirier dominated halifax at times in the playoffs. Going head to head with mackinnon and drouin. His compete level and will to win was incredible. He is far more polished. Awesome nose for the net and plays with a serious edge; he goes to the net harder then anyone in the draft and has great finish.

I know button was at game 3 and 4 in gatineau to watch MacKinnon and Drouin however after talking to a few people he said he came away more shocked and unnecpectrfly impressed about poirier.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Feaster said they had drafted two players who were top-10 on the Flames list at that point. After their 3rd pick in the first round, Feaster said that all three players were in their top-13.

Yes really it was their top 17-18 because Mac, Jones, Drouin and Barkov wouldn't have been on their list.

Lindholm maybe not either

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I watched him live a few times and based on the terrible scouting evaluation by tsn I have come to the conclusion outside of button none of them ever watched him play. I don't think this pick is anything like the Jankowski pick. Poirier dominated halifax at times in the playoffs. Going head to head with mackinnon and drouin. His compete level and will to win was incredible. He is far more polished. Awesome nose for the net and plays with a serious edge; he goes to the net harder then anyone in the draft and has great finish.

I know button was at game 3 and 4 in gatineau to watch MacKinnon and Drouin however after talking to a few people he said he came away more shocked and unnecpectrfly impressed about poirier.

Ya he was definitely a beast in that series against Halifax. I would say he even outplayed Mackinnon and Drouin in at least one of the Gatineau games.

I thought he'd be a steal for someone in the 2nd round but doesn't surprise me that someone reached a bit for him since he was a late riser.

Kind of unrelated but another guy that was a beast against the mooseheads was Andrighetto. Montreal got a nice snag there in the 3rd round imo

Gally and Chucky

No Excuses
Jun 11, 2011
Gatineau, Canada
If I had to describe this guy in one word: Clutch. When the Olympiques made that 6-0 comeback vs Val D'or, Poirier had 5 points (3G, 2A) in only one period. He was a dominant player in the playoffs, leading Gatineau through to the 2n round , winning against Rimouski, who were expected to win easily that series and he looked dominant vs the Mooseheads. Stats may not indicate it but he really was. Something happenned on every shift he was on the ice. I wanted the Habs to pick him at 25.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Feaster said they had drafted two players who were top-10 on the Flames list at that point. After their 3rd pick in the first round, Feaster said that all three players were in their top-13.

Again we will say this again. Flames have 2 lists.

List one: Players believed to be available at their picks that they are targeting. (So Jones/Mack ect.. not on this list)

List Two: Full list of players available in the draft, in case the unexpected happens so they still have their overall order.

Feaster was talking about the first list. So in reality, the overall list Poirier was probably somewhere in the 15-20 range. And Klimchuck was in the 18-23 range.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I like Monohan very much, and he was a good, safe pick. But the more I learn about Poirier, the more I think he has a greater upside offensively. If he can translate his game to the NHL, he has more tools than any of the other Flames drafted.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Why are people laughing at Feaster's list. Realistically when you take out players that are guaranteed to be gone by the time you draft it's not a huge list anymore.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was hoping he'd be there for the Sabres at the top of the 2nd round. Very glad he got a 1st round selection, love the combination of speed and skill and a bit of sand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad