RW Eeli Tolvanen - Jokerit, KHL (2017, 30th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Tolvanen’s growth has clearly slowed down which means that he’s very likely at the back end of his growth spurt.

Usually boys grow about 15cm at the age between 13 and 15, but after that the growth usually slows down. Even though it slows down, this doesn't mean it would stop completely. Growth continues usually to age of 19. Averagely boys grow 5-7cm after they turn 15.

Also as I said before, Saarela is a another good example if you bother looking into his physical developement.

I'd say that Saarela is not a very good example to predict Tolvanens final heigh, while Tolvanens brother is really a very good comparison. If his brother has ended up being 183cm it is very realistic to expect Eeli to end up at 180-185.

There are few guys like Saarela, Rajala and Tanus, whos growth stopped early(although Saarela could still grow a bit), but I wouldn't use these cases to make an argument about Tolvanens growth.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Growth continues usually to age of 19. Averagely boys grow 5-7cm after they turn 15.
Growth spurt for modern Finnish youngsters starts roughly a year earlier than for people two generations ago, as a result their growth also stops earlier. People usually reach their end height roughly 4 years after the peak of growth spurt. 19 is no magic number here, growth can just as easily stop at 16, it all depends on the pace of person’s development. The average height growth for Finnish boys after turning 15 is something like 8cm nowadays, but the range of fluctuation is naturally quite significant.

I'd say that Saarela is not a very good example to predict Tolvanens final heigh, while Tolvanens brother is really a very good comparison. If his brother has ended up being 183cm it is very realistic to expect Eeli to end up at 180-185.
Atte is the taller older brother and he might be a tad over 180cm. The other older brother who you for some reason fail to mention is under 180cm.

There are few guys like Saarela, Rajala and Tanus, whos growth stopped early(although Saarela could still grow a bit), but I wouldn't use these cases to make an argument about Tolvanens growth.
Early dominance and early physical development quite often go hand-in-hand in junior hockey. Not exact science, but broad shoulders and a wide rib cage are pretty good signs of advanced physical maturity. This was the case with Saarela and Tanus, and I’m not seeing Tolvanen much differently.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He reminds me a lot of Kalle Kossila, who is doing pretty well at St. Cloud State University. We might as well take Tolvanen too!

Espoo Blues has good reputation to produce, really good prospects into NCAA.
Exsample forward Ahti Oksanen he was, Jack Eichel's teammate in boston university last season ( 2014-2015).
This summer Oksanen got invited new York rangers, rookie summer camp and he attented that camp.

Playing in NCAA is one good route to NHL.
But i think Tolvanen goes to CHL, if / when he doing well in USHL, and plays well in U18 WJC championships next spring.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Growth spurt for modern Finnish youngsters starts roughly a year earlier than for people two generations ago, as a result their growth also stops earlier. People usually reach their end height roughly 4 years after the peak of growth spurt. 19 is no magic number here, growth can just as easily stop at 16, it all depends on the pace of person’s development. The average height growth for Finnish boys after turning 15 is something like 8cm nowadays, but the range of fluctuation is naturally quite significant.

I was 182cm at 15 years old, and now at 21 I'm 184cm meaning I've grown less than an inch since in height

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I got a look at him in the preseason and he is going to be a good one. Granted the game I saw was on an Olympic sheet, but the skills are undeniable. Playing with a line with your countryman doesnt hurt either. It will be interesting to see how he adapts when getting to a smaller rink with less room to operate.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
5+5 in his first eight games. It seems that he is doing really well. Can anyone try to find (or does anyone know) any statistically comparable players in their draft-1 seasons in the USHL? That is, players of the same age who have been close to ppg.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Last edited:

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
It seems the consensus is that Eeli will take his game to the CHL next season, but I really hope St. Cloud State has at least made their pitch. If Kossila can get him on campus and give him a tour... who knows? We've got three other Finns besides Kossila (Nevalainen, Ilvonen, and Reijola) who all seem to be enjoying their college experiences.

My only question is, will he be the equivalent of a HS graduate after this year? It seems like he'll be ready for the next level at the start of next season, but if he hasn't graduated high school, then the NCAA won't be an option. He'll be in the CHL or back in the USHL.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It seems the consensus is that Eeli will take his game to the CHL next season, but I really hope St. Cloud State has at least made their pitch. If Kossila can get him on campus and give him a tour... who knows? We've got three other Finns besides Kossila (Nevalainen, Ilvonen, and Reijola) who all seem to be enjoying their college experiences.

My only question is, will he be the equivalent of a HS graduate after this year? It seems like he'll be ready for the next level at the start of next season, but if he hasn't graduated high school, then the NCAA won't be an option. He'll be in the CHL or back in the USHL.

He won't be a high school graduate by any normal standards, so I doubt the NCAA. He could always come back to Finland of course, if he so wished.

I think I've said it earlier, but he reminds me of a sort of mix of Pulkkinen (the one in Detroit :D) and Tarasenko. He isn't the fastest guy, but he dangles well and he seems to have a superb wrister both hard and accurate. He could work on his release though. Granted this is all based on my very limited viewings of him in Hlinka and some highlights.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If / when Tolvanen choose CHL instead of NCAA, is he available next summers CHL import draft.
Or WHL bantam draft or OHL draft.

Please tell some information how that CHL draft system works.
It looks too complicated for me.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
If / when Tolvanen choose CHL instead of NCAA, is he available next summers CHL import draft.
Or WHL bantam draft or OHL draft.

Please tell some information how that CHL draft system works.
It looks too complicated for me.

CHL Import Draft, he's an import. Kind of like Vili Saarijärvi but a year earlier.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Eeli Tolvanen has chosen for Finland U17 national team roster, World Hockey Challenge tournament in Canada next week.
Congrats Eeli.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He has been absolutely awesome vs Sweden today... he has done something awesome every time the puck has been on his stick.

He was THE difference between the teams.

The way he has played so far in this tourney and is the USHL this year will sure be turning a heck of a lot of heads.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He sure has a knack for scoring goals. 7+0 in 3 games in the tournament and 1+3 in the pre-tournament game against Czech Republic = 8 goals, 3 assists, 11 points in 4 games.

If he keeps this kind of play up and adds some speed, he should be a top-15 pick, possibly even higher. Season is still young though, who knows what kind of slumps he will hit or if he gets injured...

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He sure has a knack for scoring goals. 7+0 in 3 games in the tournament and 1+3 in the pre-tournament game against Czech Republic = 8 goals, 3 assists, 11 points in 4 games.

If he keeps this kind of play up and adds some speed, he should be a top-15 pick, possibly even higher. Season is still young though, who knows what kind of slumps he will hit or if he gets injured...

What would be the best option for Tolvanen to get much ice'time next season, and work on his strengths and skating for NHL player.
Is it CHL or continuation into USHL or playing, men's games in Finnish Elite League example into HIFK.

Tolvanen certainly knows how to score goals, and what to do when he has the puck in his stick.
But how's his defensive, and physical games are those features alright.
Or does he need work on, and improve them before his NHL draft

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What would be the best option for Tolvanen to get much ice'time next season, and work on his strengths and skating for NHL player.
Is it CHL or continuation into USHL or playing, men's games in Finnish Elite League example into HIFK.

Tolvanen certainly knows how to score goals, and what to do when he has the puck in his stick.
But how's his defensive, and physical games are those features alright.
Or does he need work on, and improve them before his NHL draft

Probably another year in the USHL before attempting NCAA, he would be able to efficiently add strength and speed under their trainers. Of course playing in FEL is never a bad option should he be able to get good ice time.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Probably another year in the USHL before attempting NCAA, he would be able to efficiently add strength and speed under their trainers. Of course playing in FEL is never a bad option should he be able to get good ice time.

Tolvanen isn't high-school graduated yet, so NCAA isn't option.
So his options are USHL, CHL, and Finnish Elite League.

By the way how many NHL players, Sioux City Musketeers has produced?.
And how actively, NHL scouts follows NHL draft eligible prospects into USHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Tolvanen isn't high-school graduated yet, so NCAA isn't option.
So his options are USHL, CHL, and Finnish Elite League.

By the way how many NHL players, Sioux City Musketeers has produced?.
And how actively, NHL scouts follows NHL draft eligible prospects into USHL.

I'm saying he should graduate next year, unless your system works different and he has another year. Also, the USHL is a heavily scouted league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad