RW Eeli Tolvanen - Jokerit, KHL (2017, 30th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Discussion thread 16 yrs old Finnish winger prospect Eeli Tolvanen.

Details
Name Eeli Tolvanen
Born 22 April 1999
Birthplace Vihti Finland.
Shoots Left
Position Right Winger
Eligible 2017 NHL entry draft.
Height 6'0
Weight 181 lbs
Team Sioux City Musketeers USHL.
https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com scouting report

Eeli Tolvanen is a speedy offensive minded winger with impressive hockey sense and a strong compete level.
Committed to Boston College for the 2017-2018 season Eeli Tolvanen boasts a skill set indicative of a pure offensive threat.
However the speed Finn also displays an impressive developing two-way game and strong play away from the puck.

With elite puck skills and a shoot first nature to his game, it’s no coincidence that Tolvanen’s best offensive attribute is his shot.
With a true nose for the net, Tolvanen displays a quick release and a shot with impressive accuracy and strong velocity.
Tolvanen has quick strike ability as he can get his shot off mid-stride and will shoot from all over the ice.

A player who hunts the puck offensively, Tolvanen shows a tenaciousness in puck pursuit and can force turnovers in multiple ways.
As he aggressively attacks the puck carrier or simply anticipates a developing play to near perfection.
A smooth and agile skater with above average speed, Tolvanen plays with impressive pace and does everything he does well at his top speed.

While Tolvanen does possess developing playmaking skills, he can be a bit one dimensional in the offensive zone.
Despite showing intriguing vision and creativity. A player who competes hard and works on the back check, Tolvanen could certainly stand to add some strength to his frame along with more of a willingness to inject physically, at least in puck battles.

Here's Eeli's eliteprospect profile
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=249730

Highlight video

SB Nation article for his signing with Sioux City
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/jun...li-tolvanen-signs-ushl-tender-with-sioux-city

Official signing announce for Sioux City websites.
http://www.musketeershockey.com/news_article/show/503384?referrer_id=1287713

Hopefully these would help.
I'll post more if i found something new

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Those his points in C- and B-juniors are just ridiculous! Wow. He also has good size for 15 years old, so that is not consern in any case and he likely grow still 2-10cm. I haven't seen him playin so if someone could give some scouting report. I think that USHL is good, but if he wont get chance to NCAA 2016-2017, he should be go CHL or Liiga, because better competition. Just like Seth Jones and some other high pic choose to go.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Those his points in C- and B-juniors are just ridiculous! Wow. He also has good size for 15 years old, so that is not consern in any case and he likely grow still 2-10cm. I haven't seen him playin so if someone could give some scouting report. I think that USHL is good, but if he wont get chance to NCAA 2016-2017, he should be go CHL or Liiga, because better competition. Just like Seth Jones and some other high pic choose to go.

Tolvanen might be eligible next summers ( 2016) CHL import draft.
I'm surprised if he won't get picked into CHL.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is he going the College hockey route?

Maybe, but i think he goes first in USHL and after that CHL.
Espoo Blues has produced a lot junior players in NCAA.
Example forward Ahti Oksanen, he was Jack Eichel's teammate past season ( 2014-2015) in Boston University.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
His brother is playing NCAA next year so maybe that will have an influence.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Is he a good skater? Are we talking about a potential 1st rounder?

I wanna know more too, but that kind of ridiculous points in C-&B-juniors we don't haven't seen very often or ever. Of course it's not tell everything, but if he are A-skater, -hands, -hockey iq, -dekes, -passing, -shot and -accuracy, then we can speak possible top3 player 2017 draft. Size is good, he is now 178cm which is ok, 180cm is sufficient, but he is just 15 years old, so he can easily crow 185-190cm. His brother is 183cm now.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Here's more material of Eeli Tolvanen

Highlight video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1JZJ_iIh0

SB Nation article for his signing with Sioux City
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/jun...li-tolvanen-signs-ushl-tender-with-sioux-city

Official signing announce for Sioux City websites.
http://www.musketeershockey.com/news_article/show/503384?referrer_id=1287713

Hopefully these would help.
I'll post more if i found something new

Thanks for these. I watch that highlight and he has all the tools to be a superstar )of course it's still early).

He is especially very good skater and use his skates well, pretty fast also, not the fastest, but he can do everything in full speed, nice-, soft- and very good hands, very hard and accurate wrist - and slapshot with quick release, also see other players and pass if it's better choice to get goal to team. Good IQ especially scoring, he really looks pure sniper who try all the time find the place where he can get puck and score goal and also find those places. Although he looks pure sniper and i think that he is most, he has those playmaker skills too which make him very special player.

Actually he can and do what ever he want's in the ice. Do we have him top5 prospect for 2017, i say that skill set, i cant see many player better than him. :yo:

But next 2 years tells more and also i hope he play 2016-2017 OHL, WHL, QMJHL or Liiga if he wont get NCAA team like Kessel. :popcorn:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks for these. I watch that highlight and he has all the tools to be a superstar )of course it's still early).

He is especially very good skater and use his skates well, pretty fast also, not the fastest, but he can do everything in full speed, nice-, soft- and very good hands, very hard and accurate wrist - and slapshot with quick release, also see other players and pass if it's better choice to get goal to team. Good IQ especially scoring, he really looks pure sniper who try all the time find the place where he can get puck and score goal and also find those places. Although he looks pure sniper and i think that he is most, he has those playmaker skills too which make him very special player.

Actually he can and do what ever he want's in the ice. Do we have him top5 prospect for 2017, i say that skill set, i cant see many player better than him. :yo:

But next 2 years tells more and also i hope he play 2016-2017 OHL, WHL, QMJHL or Liiga if he wont get NCAA team like Kessel. :popcorn:

If Tolvanen won't get fair chance, to go NCAA i see CHL better option for his development.
Of course playing in liiga is other way to develop.

Tolvanen look like good skater, and he has good hockey IQ and good skills.
He has all tools to be dominant player in NHL someday.

What would be good player comparison for Eeli.
Is he like Martin St Louis or Kasperi Kapanen

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
If Tolvanen won't get fair chance, to go NCAA i see CHL better option for his development.
Of course playing in liiga is other way to develop.

Tolvanen look like good skater, and he has good hockey IQ and good skills.
He has all tools to be dominant player in NHL someday.

What would be good player comparison for Eeli.
Is he like Martin St Louis or Kasperi Kapanen

Yes, that was i thinking too. It's no point play NCAA some 3rd-4th line. Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane come to my mind playing style.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yes, that was i thinking too. It's no point play NCAA some 3rd-4th line. Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane come to my mind playing style.

You're absolutely right,Tolvanen is offensive winger who's knack for scoring.
Playing to 3rd or 4th line in NCAA isn't right way to develop, that-kind offensive prospect what Tolvanen is.

If his options for season 2016-2017 is small ice time, without place in first power-play unit into NCAA.
And 1st line scoring winger's role with big ice time in CHL, it'll be good for Eeli and he should go that situation in CHL.

Of course it would be great to see Tolvanen in liiga.
But does he get alot responsibility, in Espoo Blues liiga team.

Espoo Blues has to offer Tero Lehterä in their assistant coach, maybe even next head coach of Espoo Blues liiga team.
Lehterä knows Tolvanen really well, and he'll be big help for Eeli's developing.

But also we have to remember that HIFK is made alot changes their junior program.
Ville Peltonen has made good job, and he'll continue doing good job with HIFK juniors in upcoming season ( 2015-2016).
But we'll see the results in 3-5 years.

As a HIFK fan i would be very glad if Tolvanen comes to HIFK, if he won't get fair chance to go NCAA or CHL.
But those skills what Tolvanen has, playing in CHL is very possible in 2016-2017.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I've heard about him and those are pretty crazy stats. Never seen him play a game however so can't comment other than loving that youtube clip.

Tormentor, do you have a projection of this kid?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Tormentor, do you have a projection of this kid?
I'm not quite sure if he's a NHL prospect. Some nice plays at Hlinka Memorial Cup, but overall didn't impact the game that much. The higher the level of play, the less impressive his skating looks. Teemu Pulkkinen was a much better player at that age.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not quite sure if he's a NHL prospect. Some nice plays at Hlinka Memorial Cup, but overall didn't impact the game that much. The higher the level of play, the less impressive his skating looks. Teemu Pulkkinen was a much better player at that age.

If we are talking about how they did against their own age then yes. However Eeli has much much better skill set and potential when talking about future NHL career. I don't remember seeing such a good release and skating slide from a young finnish prospect.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
If we are talking about how they did against their own age then yes. However Eeli has much much better skill set and potential when talking about future NHL career. I don't remember seeing such a good release and skating slide from a young finnish prospect.

Pulkkinen was a high scoring star forward when playing a year up with the national team, Tolvanen is barely a blip on the radar. I'm not buying the argument that Tolvanen has a better skillset than Pulkkinen, it simply isn't true. Some truly radical development needs to happen if Tolvanen someday plays in NHL.

Tolvanen had a handful of good plays off the rush when he managed to find open ice, but overall didn't have much of an impact to the game at Hlinka. Showed very little ability to control the play, wasn't very good in traffic or along the boards and his level of involvement was below average when on the ice. A small forward like him should probably be quicker, have more explosive first steps, better lateral agility, a higher top speed and a more powerful motor. Tolvanen's growth has clearly slowed down, if not stopped altogether. Things are not going to get easier for him as the players around him get bigger, stronger and faster.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Pulkkinen was a high scoring star forward when playing a year up with the national team, Tolvanen is barely a blip on the radar. I'm not buying the argument that Tolvanen has a better skillset than Pulkkinen, it simply isn't true. Some truly radical development needs to happen if Tolvanen someday plays in NHL.

Tolvanen had a handful of good plays off the rush when he managed to find open ice, but overall didn't have much of an impact to the game at Hlinka. Showed very little ability to control the play, wasn't very good in traffic or along the boards and his level of involvement was below average when on the ice. A small forward like him should probably be quicker, have more explosive first steps, better lateral agility, a higher top speed and a more powerful motor. Tolvanen's growth has clearly slowed down, if not stopped altogether. Things are not going to get easier for him as the players around him get bigger, stronger and faster.

Why you are so negative and skeptic.
Is it that's why because Tolvanen didn't score, 5 goals for every single game in Ivan Hlinka tournament?.

If you really are some junior hockey expert, you should know this fact all prospect won't develop the same pace than their peers.
Example in Canada.USA, Sweden and Russia

If you could judging 16 yrs old prospect and dare think that he's bust
I assume you can prove that you'll be better than Eeli Tolvanen.

So watch that highlight video, in the first post what i've made this thread.
And think again your opinions

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Why you are so negative and skeptic.
Is it that's why because Tolvanen didn't score, 5 goals for every single game?.

If you really are some junior hockey expert, you should know this fact all prospect won't develop the same pace than their peers.
Example in Canada,USA and Sweden.

If you could judging 16 yrs old prospect, i assume you can prove that you'll be better than Eeli Tolavanen.

Are you actually suggesting that scouts or hockey "experts" all need to have actual 'skates on' experience on pro level to be able to make accurate projections of prospects? Your post suggests that in order to be able to evaluate Eeli Tolvanen one would have to be a better player in hockey? Might be the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on these forums.

Tormentor, while perhaps being critical on some of the youngsters is being considered one the most knowledgeable persons on these forums when judging young talent (especially from Finnish point of view), which is why I asked for his opinion in the begin with.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Are you actually suggesting that scouts or hockey "experts" all need to have actual 'skates on' experience on pro level to be able to make accurate projections of prospects? Your post suggests that in order to be able to evaluate Eeli Tolvanen one would have to be a better player in hockey? Might be the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on these forums.

Tormentor, while perhaps being critical on some of the youngsters is being considered one the most knowledgeable persons on these forums when judging young talent (especially from Finnish point of view), which is why I asked for his opinion in the begin with.

He is pretty obvious troll considering the **** he has been writing to other topics+this.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yea I haven't seen more ******** Finn on these forums and his posts are mostly really weird..

But on topic, Tolvanen's stats are amazing but he has a lot to prove still. I don't know enough about him so I must believe what Tormentor said. I just hope he will get better and get drafted.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Scouting report

Tolvanen has excellent vision and terrific passing skills, which sets him apart from many top players in the 1999 born age-group. He has excellent puck poise and his vision allows him to find passing lanes. He can finish, too, thanks to his quick shot.

This is apparently taken from Over The Boards, I think you should mention the reference when you cite scouting reports in your posts.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

If Tolvanen can reach his full potential, who knows how good he'll be in future.
That's true his stats are amazing in B and C juniors.

But stats won't tell the whole truth.
I'm sure Tolvanen has a lot job to do, with his physical abilities and defensive game.
Tolvanen is now 178cm so what might be, his projected height before his draft year?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Id like to point out that Pulkkinen got drafted at later rounds even with those extraordinary stats in juniors.

That's true, Pulkkinen is 7 yrs older than Tolvanen.
So it'll be irrelevant made comparisons, with 4th rounder NHL winger and 16 yrs old prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad