RW/C Vitalii Abramov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2016, 65th, CBJ; traded to OTT)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
At 5'8 if he goes 2PPG the whole season and looks really good to the scouts there might be a chance he goes in the 1st round...

If Abramov continues this pace he will be top five. People are just being conservative at the moment.

All it takes to change everyone's mind is for redline to slot him in the top 10. Which will happen soon.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
CSS rankings suck, they give him a B rating. Not even one Russian skater given an A rating this year... Even though this age group has dominated at international tournaments.

I wouldn't worry about those rankings. They're mostly about getting together a list of names to watch.

The Russian 1998 group is one of the country's best. They won a U17 tournament fairly recently and were then broken up.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Scouting report on Abramov:

In one direction, Abramov skates with a bit of a hunch, but his quick, shifty, agile skating is a strength that he uses regularly. Has explosive speed when he needs it and can change speeds, up and down, in a flash. He explodes at the right time to streak into the lane and receive the pass absolutely timed right. Has the confidence to get creative with the puck and makes some pretty impressive moves around defenders at the blue line before driving to the net or down low to set up.

Full single-game report here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/from-the-notebook-october-2016/

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
For some reason Bragin was not very high on 98 yob players.
http://www.championat.com/hockey/article-234422-valerij-bragin--o-molodjozhnoj-sbornoj-rossii.html (in russian)

google translate
Abramov, Sergachyov? Here we are taken to Finland German Rubtsov from the junior team. Will look at him. Still, two years apart at that age - it's a lot. Last year I took Provorov, who later was selected at seventh number in the NHL Entry Draft. And he was playing in my fourth pair. It should be a potential star like Malkin or Ovechkin. They played when were two years younger than most of the players

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I hope he can do in the NHL what Kucherov is doing now. They are both very exciting players.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Any chance he'll move up in ratings?

I believe so. Especially if he can keep up his pace until the season is over.
He's not really that small I think. Something like 5'10 or even 5'11 (yeah, I know he's listed pretty much everywhere as 5'9 kid but he looks taller than that). He's very dynamic skater, strong shot, vision, IQ, great passer, Kane like hands, in one word - electrifying player.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I believe so. Especially if he can keep up his pace until the season is over.
He's not really that small I think. Something like 5'10 or even 5'11 (yeah, I know he's listed pretty much everywhere as 5'9 kid but he looks taller than that). He's very dynamic skater, strong shot, vision, IQ, great passer, Kane like hands, in one word - electrifying player.

Yeah he definitely looks taller than the 5'8 or 5'9 he's been listed as. Must be 5'10 or close to 5'11. At that size, with his skill, he really should have a bright NHL future. IMO a guy that should be picked in 20-30 range. There's definitely not 30 guys better than him in this draft.

Maybe at the end of the season he is even in talks for top15. The skill is there. What's interesting is that a guy like Tyson Jost is ranked #9 by ISS and #12 by FC, but is there really that much seperating him and Abramov? Maybe Jost has an inch on him and some weight but Abramov isn't that far off Jost in terms of production and he plays in a much better league.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah he definitely looks taller than the 5'8 or 5'9 he's been listed as. Must be 5'10 or close to 5'11. At that size, with his skill, he really should have a bright NHL future. IMO a guy that should be picked in 20-30 range. There's definitely not 30 guys better than him in this draft.

At this picture Abramov is with Alex Dostie (listed at 5'10") and Yan-Pavel Laplante (listed at 6'0"):

12122769_1491626364500735_316703092824418741_n.jpg

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I would say there is no point for him to play junior next year. Even though many Canadians and Americans who dominate in the same way stay in junior bc they have to, he has good leagues at home to return to in the VHL and KHL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Got to see my first game of him this season and came away very impressed. Very small out there and didn't look any bigger than Conir Garland but dear me he is quick and agile. Unfortunately that size/Russian factor will hold him back to the end of the first/early second. His talents are top 10 IMO though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad