RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My limited observations:

His positioning is actually quite sound for an 18 year old offensive player, and he is adapt at creating turnovers and pokechecks at the blue line when defending. Offensively, his hands are legit and his wrister can be a laser. I can also see him being a demon on the boards with a bit more strength and better linemates to work off of. When the timing is correct, his passes are crisp and on point.

Alas, most of his troubles seem to come with pacing (going from kids in junior to the best league on the planet with fully grown men is quite a jump), a lack of insulation (combination of Canes' lack of depth and possible early returns of a rookie head coach) and just a flat out lack of confidence. He looks great on the get go and can usually be counted on to create some grade A chances early in the game. When he takes the bull by the horns he looks the part of a top flight prospect who can generate offensive opportunities in the slot (something his linemates are incapable of capitalizing on).

Indecisiveness is hurting him the most. His skill set is absolutely NHL ready (which is why a return to junior hockey should not even remotely be in the cards), but he is clearly second guessing himself when it comes to zone exits and controlling the puck on offense. As an aside, this issue seemed to plague Necas in my limited viewing as well.

My guess is that Svechnikov is one of those guys who could struggle for a good chunk of his inaugural campaign, as even an improvement in play could be hampered by Carolina's lack of roster skill and experience in the bottom six (at least for now). If he can do enough to force a change in linemates, however, I could easily see Andrei's ascent going into supernova once everything falls into place.

I think this is spot on. Did you come up with this as somebody who isn't a Canes fan? If so, I'm impressed.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think this is spot on. Did you come up with this as somebody who isn't a Canes fan? If so, I'm impressed.

Thank you.

I picked Carolina as a team of interest this season due to the intrigue surrounding Necas and Svechnikov. Having two blue-chip prospects starting simultaneously on the same roster is always fun to track, as such I tend to jump from team to team in terms of viewership every season (while being more committed to the Habs and Pens). I've watched six Carolina games where I otherwise would not.

My viewings will likely diminish soon though. No Necas means that the Hurricanes are really just a top prospect and Aho away from being completely unwatchable from this outsider's perspective, no offense y'all.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Thank you.

I picked Carolina as a team of interest this season due to the intrigue surrounding Necas and Svechnikov. Having two blue-chip prospects starting simultaneously on the same roster is always fun to track, as such I tend to jump from team to team in terms of viewership every season (while being more committed to the Habs and Pens). I've watched six Carolina games where I otherwise would not.

My viewings will likely diminish soon though. No Necas means that the Hurricanes are really just a top prospect and Aho away from being completely unwatchable from this outsider's perspective, no offense y'all.
We're not very good. We know it. No offense taken.

And Svechnikov being played with grinders the majority of the time certainly doesn't help if we want outsiders to watch and enjoy our team.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thank you.

What you don't like watching slow motion train wrecks?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Before the draft I saw him like an animal of a player, driving plays, leading it all, dominate, but that seems to be slow right now, maybe he just needs time? Abit slow out there.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Translating your game from juniors to NHL level is gonna take time, yeah..
Yea, but Barzal was very quick and react to a lot of transitions and almost prepared ahead of the game.
I see Svechnikov as above tier but I guess it will take time

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I think he will be a Kuznetsov/Panarin level player. Not a Ovechkin/Malkin talent. He is 18 though, Ovechkin and Malkin were 20 when they came to the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yea, but Barzal was very quick and react to a lot of transitions and almost prepared ahead of the game.
I see Svechnikov as above tier but I guess it will take time
Barzal had 2 NHL training camps, and a short stint in his D+2 before breaking out in his D+3. Svechnikov

I think he will be a Kuznetsov/Panarin level player. Not a Ovechkin/Malkin talent. He is 18 though, Ovechkin and Malkin were 20 when they came to the NHL.
If he was expected by NHL scouts to be Malkin/Ovi tier, he most likely goes ahead of Dahlin and at worst makes it a massive debate with no clear cut consensus like Dahlin was. He is among the best wingers to come out of the OHL since the 2005 lockout alongside Patrick Kane, Taylor Hall, Yakupov and Mitch Marner. As long as he ends up like one of those 3 not named Yakupov, I'm sure Canes fans will be happy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
At this point it's not looking like Dahlin was clearly the right choice at one either.

Svechnikov looked like a difference maker to me when the Avs played him. They could stand to get him on a higher line. He has 8 points, good for 5th in team scoring. I'm not sure what's disappointing in that.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
what its looking like is that the 2018 draft like many other drafts where over hyped

and there will be good solid nhl players out of it just like most all drafts

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
what its looking like is that the 2018 draft like many other drafts where over hyped

and there will be good solid nhl players out of it just like most all drafts
These guys aren’t even 19. Only four in the entire draft class are in the NHL, and they’re all doing fine. But regardless, a draft class shouldn’t be judged definitely a few months after the actual draft.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
These guys aren’t even 19. Only four in the entire draft class are in the NHL, and they’re all doing fine. But regardless, a draft class shouldn’t be judged definitely a few months after the actual draft.

a good part of the first round players could have done “fine” in the nhl this year

and for most part all nhl drafts are even

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
seriously, he was my top pick but
nothing special about that play
dont over sell

Nothing special about that play? 18 year old Svechnikov beats Duncan Keith down the wing, pushes him aside like he’s a weeble wobble, draws the other defender, and delivers a perfect backhand between two sticks to Ferland who pots and easy goal because Ward had bitten hard on Svechnikov charging the net.

It was the exact play one hopes to see out of a skilled power forward like Svechnikov.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Nothing special about that play? 18 year old Svechnikov beats Duncan Keith down the wing, pushes him aside like he’s a weeble wobble, draws the other defender, and delivers a perfect backhand between two sticks to Ferland who pots and easy goal because Ward had bitten hard on Svechnikov charging the net.

It was the exact play one hopes to see out of a skilled power forward like Svechnikov.
Exactly. He made it look so easy, which is probably why the other poster said that, if anything he was praising him without knowing it

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

he looked at the goalie, tried to shoot and wasn't very successeful at that. it was just a lucky bounce for ferland.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
he looked at the goalie, tried to shoot and wasn't very successeful at that. it was just a lucky bounce for ferland.

He looked at the goalie to draw Ward towards him. Fooled you as much as it fooled Ward. Very clearly he flicked that backhand pass to Ferland. Svechnikov makes these heady no-look plays multiple times a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad