RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
You don't need to create new threads after 1000 posts anymore with the new forums I believe.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
When was the last time a team picking #1 had their choice between a superstar defenseman or a superstar forward?
2009 with Tavares and Hedman?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He looks to be a good 1. Is he better than Dahlin? He just might be. Think these guys will be 1-2 in the 2018 draft.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
MacKinnon vs Jones was hyped as such. Yak vs Murray to a lesser extent.

No way MacKinnon vs Jones was hyped as much as Svech and Dahlin. Dahlin is possibly the best defensive prospect since 2000 and Svechnikov is no slouch either, best Russian prospect since Ovi/Malkin. The only reason why MacKinnon was hyped was because Yakupov was drafted 1st overall before him and people were saying that he is mini-Ovi. So Canadians had to hype Mac, to create another rivalry Ovi vs Crosby 2.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
No way MacKinnon vs Jones was hyped as much as Svech and Dahlin. Dahlin is possibly the best defensive prospect since 2000 and Svechnikov is no slouch either, best Russian prospect since Ovi/Malkin. The only reason why MacKinnon was hyped was because Yakupov was drafted 1st overall before him and people were saying that he is mini-Ovi. So Canadians had to hype Mac, to create another rivalry Ovi vs Crosby 2.

Svech is not a bigger prospect than Yakupov was. We need to stop pretending that Yakupov wasn't a big prospect just because he became a bust.

Reactions: haveandare

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He looks to be a good 1. Is he better than Dahlin? He just might be. Think these guys will be 1-2 in the 2018 draft.
Dahlin is gonna be the pretty clear #1. Svech can challenge if he keeps up this season and builds on it. I’ll put it this way, Svech would have been the clear #1 in 2017.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jones was viewed as potentially the best defensive prospect since arguably 2000 at the time of his draft, and MacKinnon was highly hyped way before Yakupov due to his roots in Halifax and success at Shattuck.

MacKinnon wasn't hyped to create some Ovi vs Crosby vibe. He was hyped because of his success at prior levels.

Reactions: cgf

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Svech is not a bigger prospect than Yakupov was. We need to stop pretending that Yakupov wasn't a big prospect just because he became a bust.

May be he is not a bigger prospect at this particular point for North American audience but for Russians, he was already started to be talked around 2014-2015 season as the potential 1st overall for 2018 Draft. I agree, Yak was a huge prospect but his stocks fell a bit after his injury in pre-draft season and play-off performance wasn't that phenomenal either. I think by the end of the season Svech would put himself above Yak but once again, if he doesn't get injured or his play won't drop.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Jones was viewed as potentially the best defensive prospect since arguably 2000 at the time of his draft, and MacKinnon was highly hyped way before Yakupov due to his roots in Halifax and success at Shattuck.

MacKinnon wasn't hyped to create some Ovi vs Crosby vibe. He was hyped because of his success at prior levels.

So you gotta tell me that Jones was more hyped than Erik Johnson, Hedman and Doughty?? I don't think so, otherwise he wouldn't go 4th overall if he was THAT hyped. One thing for sure, he was not on Dahlin's level as a prospect. Regarding Mackinnon, as far as I remember he was hyped quite a lot, it's true. But I also remember, some people claimed that Drouin was a better prospect and would be a better NHL player. So he wasn't a clear number 1 in his draft class, not head and shoulders above Barkov/Drouin anyway

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So you gotta tell me that Jones was more hyped than Erik Johnson, Hedman and Doughty?? I don't think so, otherwise he wouldn't go 4th overall if he was THAT hyped. One thing for sure, he was not on Dahlin's level as a prospect. Regarding Mackinnon, as far as I remember he was hyped quite a lot, it's true. But I also remember, some people claimed that Drouin was a better prospect and would be a better NHL player. So he wasn't a clear number 1 in his draft class, not head and shoulders above Barkov/Drouin anyway
I said in October of his draft year. He was highly hyped entering the season, and massively so after the WJC. We haven't seen how the rest of the season will play out for Svechnikov and Dahlin. We are only through about an 1/8th of their draft season or so. 2013 was also viewed as an insanely strong draft in the top 10, much stronger than 2018. A guy like Monahan or Lindholm would be pretty firmly in a position to go 3rd in this draft.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
NHL playing style comparison ??

Max Pacioretty. Andrei looks to be more dynamic but he's that big goal scoring power winger. Ability to score 30-40 goals every year on your top line. I wonder if teams think about converting him to centre, his vision is decent as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mark Edwards tweeted that Svechnikov is out for 8 weeks for surgery. Can anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->