Dreger: Rutherford "in the market" for a dman

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Well, a few games in and I think the Pens are just fine. PO Joseph has been great so far. Ruhwedel has been his usual steady self. Ceci has been better after his lousy first game.

If there is a need for another body on the blueline, I hope JR is looking at the waiver wire first.
And in a couple of weeks Pettersson will likely be back in the mix

Do you guys want Addison back?

Why would the Wild be offering him up? Has something gone sour for him in Minny?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why would the Wild be offering him up? Has something gone sour for him in Minny?

No, but they have an insane amount of depth at defense:

Spurgeon, Dumba, Soucy/Cole, Belpedio, Menell (when he gets back), Addison, and Johansson is starting to put together a pretty good season in the Swedish Elite Leagues.

What is going on with Lafferty btw? I thought he was a decent player.

Reactions: Extra Texture

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, a few games in and I think the Pens are just fine. PO Joseph has been great so far. Ruhwedel has been his usual steady self. Ceci has been better after his lousy first game.

If there is a need for another body on the blueline, I hope JR is looking at the waiver wire first.
And in a couple of weeks Pettersson will likely be back in the mix

On the contrary, he looked really good in the bubble for the playoffs, and in training camp. Just needs more seasoning, and to add a bit of muscle. His offensive game is already very impressive. I don't see why MN would trade him. IMO, he is the next man up on RD, even though some other guys like Belpedio and Menell( KHL)are ready too.
Pateryn is on waivers. He is functional.
You can have Cole for a prospect. Seems to be exactly what you need, a functional vet. I would want a pick back. You would also have to send back an expiring contract I guess. If you had a functioning Top 6 C you would want a hell of a lot more in trade, and would probably keep him anyway

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Everyone looking for a blockbuster move is probably off the mark. If anything, we would be looking for a LHS stop gap 3rd pairing D in order to let Marino go back to his natural side. GMJR may just be keeping options warm in case we lose anyone else. The emergence of PO Joseph so far has been a revelation, and as long as he keeps this up I think we will just stand pat. In fact, assuming POJ's play remains strong and forces the staff to keep him in the lineup, we have a logjam at LD once we get healthy:

Dumoulin
Pettersson
Matheson
POJ
Riikola

Pettersson is on an upward trajectory, Matheson probably has negative value until he plays more games, POJ is cost controlled and locked in, and Riikola has more value to the team than a trade partner.

That leaves multiple cup winner, top pairing LD Brian Dumoulin who might be available. In full disclosure he seems to have lost a step, or maybe just isn't all the way back since his ankle injury, but he still has value around the league. I wonder if we would be willing to move him for a depth forward and a pick/prospect.

Reactions: Extra Texture

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
31 Thoughts: How the Dubois-Laine trade finally came together

5. Vince Dunn was off the second power play in St. Louis’s morning skate Tuesday at Vegas. Coach Craig Berube would not reveal his lineup, but will that mean a healthy scratch?
Dunn has had a rough start, but his talent is respected. St. Louis had a lot of trade talks about him in the summer before signing him. They are believed to be looking for a first rounder.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

5. Vince Dunn was off the second power play in St. Louis’s morning skate Tuesday at Vegas. Coach Craig Berube would not reveal his lineup, but will that mean a healthy scratch?
Dunn has had a rough start, but his talent is respected. St. Louis had a lot of trade talks about him in the summer before signing him. They are believed to be looking for a first rounder.

Armstrong: It will take a 1st round pick to get it done.

JR: How about 2 first round picks?

Armstrong: Uh ... yeah, yeah that works.

JR: Fine. 3 first round picks and I'll throw in John Marino.

Armstrong: You're a tough negotiator, JR, but you have a deal.

Reactions: Anguyen92

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal

I think Dunn would be awesome with Marino, not sure I'd pay a first at this point though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Dunn makes that much sense for the Penguins. When healthy, they have Dumoulin, Pettersson, Matheson, POJ and Riikola on LD. Where does Dunn fit in there? Even if they got rid of Matheson, I'd still rather just play POJ over trading a lot for Dunn.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they drop next couple games he will pull the trigger.. more rumblings out of Toronto today about Dermott

Dermott will cost assets. Honka was free. Unless it's for Laffy, ERod, or even - more ideally - ZAR, I don't see it. Begs the question why Toronto would as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad