Dreger: Rutherford "in the market" for a dman

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They should just give Pierre-Oliver Joseph some ice time before making an impulsive trade.

Who am I kidding? Goodbye 2022 1st

If both Pettersson and Matheson are going to be out for "weeks", they're likely going to need more then POJ. I think it's a guarantee that he'll see icetime... the question is who fills in the other spot? What I think we're going to see is Marino move to LD, with Ruhwedel and Ceci playing RD. But unless Joseph steps up big time that's not a great group and is one that's just asking for issues. That's me saying that as someone who's a big fan of Ruhwedel.

Dumoulin - Letang
Marino - Ceci/Ruhwedel
Joseph - Ceci/Ruhwedel

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Timmins would be a really nice get because he fills a long term need, but I don't think they'd be that interested in Graves. They need short term LD help, but not long term.

Timmins would look amazing on a 3rd pair with POJ going forward, though. Just don't think the timing is good right now, especially with Ruhwedel playing pretty well to start the year.

Unless the plan was to move someone out like Pettersson/Matheson who they may struggle to afford next season when dealing with a flat cap and someone like TB needing a raise along with depth centers. Someone like Graves who still has a couple years on his deal but at a cheaper cap hit (3.16m) might make things easier to handle. That said, that's never really been JR's mantra (mid term cap moves).

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
No, Mike Matheson is out long term.

JR is looking for a defenseman because the Penguins have Riikola, Pettersson and Matheson out with long term injuries. This is their defense right now:

Dumoulin-Letang
Marino-Ceci
POJ-Ruhwedel

I think JR's probably targeting a Ruhwedel caliber LD for dirt cheap, and I imagine he'll use a depth forward (Lafferty, ZAR, Rodrigues or Sceviour is my guess) to get that.

Who knew we'd be missing Trotman this badly?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Hunt deal makes the most sense out of those proposed. We need a LD, we need them right now (i.e. no time to waste on inter-border quarantine), we probably don't want to pay much because Rutherford wants to keep his ammo for funner things, and we don't need someone great or a long term future piece, because we'd still expect to have all our LD available for the playoffs and to probably need to lose one.

Reactions: banks

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dangelo has been scratched for how many games? 3? I always knew he wasn't a good D and to be honest I think rangers fans will be disappointed with the return if he ends up being traded.

He'll get traded Nils L is here next yr if not before.
I would just as soon do it now if there is a fit.
The question is who has need, and what will they bid?

Scratched games not a big whoop for me at this pt.
Yeah, he made a bonehead play and was immature about it w/a 2nd penalty. Won't be the first or the last.
He's not the only player to go there.

Rangers have excess vets which needs to be pared to make way for quality young depth.

Deangelo's play will improve w/more rust off and more cohesion from NYR team play as its roster settles.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Any interest in Ollie coming back. He really doesn't work as a 2 with Drew (not that i thought he would) looked better on bottom pair with Walker but King fans are comparing him to the great Randy Jones so maybe a change is needed.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see something like Lafferty for Kylington working for the Penguins, I think that would make a lot of sense. From the Flames perspective, Lafferty is still waiver exempt so he's a safe depth forward for this year.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
What JR really needs is an intervention.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. The man is an addict. When it comes to shopping for D men, he cannot help himself. Daley, Schultz, Hunwick, Oleksiak, Hainsey, Mark Streit, Jack Johnson, Pettersson, Marino, Gudbranson, Matheson, Ceci. That's the good, the bad, and the very ugly.

Ownership needs to be honest with him: "you've made a thousand moves already, brought in new blood on the blueline (that was immediately deemed not good enough...Ceci) and now you want to waste MORE assets/futures because of injuries?" It's time for him to get creative and hit the waiver wire. No more futures. See what POJ can do out there. And they should reserve the right for a complete veto on any move he makes.

Enough is enough. This isnt a very good team this year, and he's making them worse. I swear if he moves another pick, or Rust, or Poulin, or McCann, or another good asset or part of the future, for some short term fix, I'm going to lose it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Kylington would be exactly the kind of very low risk, potentially high reward move that has somehow always worked out for Rutherford. Somehow, its always the high risk ones that seem to fail.

Also, guys that are great skaters and have good mobility always seem to thrive here, other flaws aside. If Kylington has that in his locker then I'm sold

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How about Honka for a batch of vaccines from Allegany Health Department?

In all seriousness, why not just sign Mirco Mueller for 1yr league min and save the assets? Unless they want money out.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Two ways to look at this:

* The loss of Jack Johnson has been catastrophic
* Mike Matheson wasn't all he was cracked up to be

They're without Mike Matheson, Marcus Pettersson, and Juuso Riikola. Regardless of how good/bad they are, not having them left the Pens with only 5 defensemen before POJ joined from the taxi squad.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kylington would be exactly the kind of very low risk, potentially high reward move that has somehow always worked out for Rutherford. Somehow, its always the high risk ones that seem to fail.

Also, guys that are great skaters and have good mobility always seem to thrive here, other flaws aside. If Kylington has that in his locker then I'm sold

Considering they need this D-man right away, I pretty much would cancel out anyone north of the border.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lilijgren+Vesey+2021 2nd for a impact forward with retention

Rust/Tanev/Mcann for Mcann drop the 2nd
Leafs are not trading Liljegren. He's arguably a top 2 prospect in the system who fills a huge need. Was noticeably better than Sandin last year in the AHL and will be on the team after the expansion draft.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Apparently us telling you no in the salary cap thread wasn't enough for you to understand it was a no
To be fair that was dermott instead of lilijgren. You had pointed that pens LHD depth was secure now and for the future. Lilijgren is the leafs 3rd or 4th best prospect and is a NHL ready top 4 RHD upside guy. Thought that may have altered the value enough to make the deal desirable from Pens perspective

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad