Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nah he'd have to go through another season. Samberg went back for his third. He'll probably be the captain, and to be frank, outside of insane thoughts from some of the Jets media and specifically the youtube media, his ass was going to be in the AHL all this year and next. Makes sense to give it another go as the captain, then be ready for NHL fulltime in a year.

You think he couldn't beat out Kupari for a roster spot?

What makes you think he will progress so much in another season in NCAA? I don't see him having anything left to prove there.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

What makes you think he will progress so much in another season in NCAA? I don't see him having anything left to prove there.
You seem to be really invested in Rutgers life choices. Guy thinks going back to Michigan is his best move right now, for whatever reason.

Jets will be here after next season for him. Just as apples, Iafallo and names contracts expire. Might be good timing.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Kupari? Kupari will be battling for a PB spot.

It doesn't matter what you have left to prove. It's what's available and where you are on the hierarchy.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005

What progress does he make sitting in the press box instead of Kupari?

An education, if nothing else.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You seem to be really invested in Rutgers life choices. Guy thinks going back to Michigan is his best move right now, for whatever reason.

Jets will be here after next season for him. Just as apples, Iafallo and names contracts expire. Might be good timing.
I don't disagree with Rutger. If he's not making the Jets next year, it would be $80,000 salary to play 82 games for the Moose or back to college to captain the team and be the big man on campus, literally. And if he actually values getting a degree, he'll be that much closer

I may be pulling this out of my ass, but I seem to remember that the calibre of D1 NCAA is comparable to AHL anyway

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I did not expect this. His family must have money
If he doesn't make the Jets, he's only losing out on $80,000 playing for the Moose next year.

He'll walk into a spot in the Jets top 9 the next season

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What progress does he make sitting in the press box instead of Kupari?

An education, if nothing else.

Haha. I don't think he would do that. JMO

Yes, there is that. Not sure what it is worth these days, but that is another issue.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't disagree with Rutger. If he's not making the Jets next year, it would be $80,000 salary to play 82 games for the Moose or back to college to captain the team and be the big man on campus, literally. And if he actually values getting a degree, he'll be that much closer

I may be pulling this out of my ass, but I seem to remember that the calibre of D1 NCAA is comparable to AHL anyway

I don't think he cares too much about the degree(maybe he does?) but being the *possible*(likely) captain of the team was a huge draw for a guy with his character. The Jets also likely let him know he'd probably be in the AHL for this upcoming season with all the contracts they had at F regardless and that 25-26 there would be a big spot left open for him to come prove it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Might be the right decision for him, we'll have to see how it plays out. I don't think he would have necessarily been on the Jets next season, as the Jets currently have 13 either signed or RFA forwards currently on the roster and that doesn't include Monahan (if they try and sign him), Lambert, or Chibrikov. And I hope we can extend Names in a year as well if possible.

The bottom 6 of the Jets is a good as it's ever been and he was probably deciding between the AHL (which would have been a good competition bump no doubt), and continuing in Michigan (albeit with a lesser roster now) and taking a key role as a leader, and continuing his education (which might be really important to him and his family).

Personally I would have liked to have seen him on the Moose as I think the increased competion, playing with potentually future teammates, and getting more comfortable in the org are good things too. But it's probably not the end of the world either if he goes back for 1 more year and tries to take on a much bigger role. I just hope the players they are bringing in puts them in competitive situations.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kupari? Kupari will be battling for a PB spot.

It doesn't matter what you have left to prove. It's what's available and where you are on the hierarchy.

I think he could win a spot. I could be wrong of course. It might depend on what other roster decisions are made.

Yes, it could be. But he will be less ready to replace one of them without the year of pro hockey under his belt.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Haha. I don't think he would do that. JMO

Yes, there is that. Not sure what it is worth these days, but that is another issue.
I honestly think it's "unfinished business" for him. He won't get a meaningful spot (top 6) even if he made the Jets, so might as well try one more time for the championship.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I honestly think it's "unfinished business" for him. He won't get a meaningful spot (top 6) even if he made the Jets, so might as well try one more time for the championship.

Is that realistic? All the rest of their core is leaving.

I agree he would not play top 6, but bottom 6 is still meaningful.

Reactions: MardyBum

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He's pulling a Wheeler and will wind up in LA with the nice weather.

If he doesn't make the Jets, he's only losing out on $80,000 playing for the Moose next year.

He'll walk into a spot in the Jets top 9 the next season
I think with bonus money players earn around $500k for the 3 years.

• Wow
Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehhh maybe if they had the balls to actually develop a C there would be a spot on the wing. But history says they're cowards.

Part of the issue for me was that I hoped Jets would develop him at C. Michigan was not doing that. But with both Brindley and Nazar moving on maybe they will. That could be a silver lining for me. There might be a better chance of him playing C at U Mich than in the Jets system.

It's Michigan, there will be talent coming in. Maybe a goalie :laugh:

Sure and in another year, the new talent might be ready.

You can never have too good a goalie. :laugh:

Reactions: MardyBum

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Leading Michigan should be pretty good for him. Yeah Michigan lost some talent but Michigan is a big school, it'll get more talent. If the org sees him as a future captain type then getting some captain experience would be good.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I dont buy the "captain" and being "the guy" angle. He was already "the guy" this year at Michigan and captained USA to a WJC gold. Statistically had pretty much as good a season that you would ever expect from him and his team made it to Frozen Four. It would be a stretch to say Michigan will be as good next season, much less better.

Him not signing is just straight up odd and a little disconcerting. Hypothetically i I buy the angle that he's not willing to play in AHL, isn't that a bit of a character red flag?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

40 game season vs 76?
They are not playing against as high a level of competition. A lot of NCAA players are still kids of 18, 19. I think it is more like half way between CHL and AHL.

There is the value of the education. That is up to the individual to evaluate.

I don't think it is correct to say that it is only the first year's money that is lost. The progression up the pay scale will be similar (not quite identical, but close) whether he starts this year or next. He still needs to start with his foot on the bottom rung of the ladder. That means it is more like the last year of his career earnings that are lost. Again, maybe not quite, but close. If his career would have been 15 years, it will be 14 for starting late. If 12, then it will be 11.

Reactions: robertocarlos

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Someone is giving him bad advice.
Shortly after his season ends next year, he will be able to sign with any team he wants.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That said, I think he would have a good chance of making the Jets next year. If not then getting injury callup.
If I'm a prospect for the Jets and this sentence gets mentioned, that's my sign to go play literally anywhere else. For any NCAA or KHL prospect, it's either a guaranteed roster spot or see ya next year. It's just not worth it, and I say this as someone who believes that we will move heaven and earth for Rut, to take the risk of getting Heinola'd. You don't get another chance at an ELC.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
40 game season vs 76?
They are not playing against as high a level of competition. A lot of NCAA players are still kids of 18, 19. I think it is more like half way between CHL and AHL.

There is the value of the education. That is up to the individual to evaluate.

I don't think it is correct to say that it is only the first year's money that is lost. The progression up the pay scale will be similar (not quite identical, but close) whether he starts this year or next. He still needs to start with his foot on the bottom rung of the ladder. That means it is more like the last year of his career earnings that are lost. Again, maybe not quite, but close. If his career would have been 15 years, it will be 14 for starting late. If 12, then it will be 11.
I'm sure he's more concerned about how his decision will impact him next season than how it will affect him when he's 38

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad