Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rutger is a very few -type of prospect. Give him a guarantee.

Also, our track record of giving prospects shots in the show is f***ing abysmal. There's no reason to believe that any prospect is going to bite on a promise of being the next man up (after the waiver wire pickups that mysteriously appear halfway through the year, of course).

I think those that do get a guarantee play for non-playoff teams. PO teams, or contending teams are not in a position to give out that kind of guarantee.

Euro players frequently have an NHL or home to Euro clause to avoid the AHL. That is a different story and does not apply to NA players.

I don't agree that our record of giving prospects a shot is abysmal. That is a long discussion.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Also, our track record of giving prospects shots in the show is f***ing abysmal. There's no reason to believe that any prospect is going to bite on a promise of being the next man up (after the waiver wire pickups that mysteriously appear halfway through the year, of course).

Except prospects like Scheifele, Morrissey, Connor, Hellebuyck, Stanley, Samberg, Ehlers, Lowry.

The forwards are deep right now. The org shouldn't promise him regular NHL playing time next year before seeing him at one training camp.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Considering his injury I'm ok with this. We're still likely to be logjammed at f next year . Ideally I would have loved him to play on the Moose to get acclimatized with chibby lambo luscious etc but bring c of his college team is a great experience

Reactions: kanadalainen

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it just boiled down to he'd rather be at Michigan than play for the Moose next season. He'll be a Jet the next season
This seems most likely. The organization was probably pretty straight forward about roster openings next season and he decided on playing for Michigan over the Moose. Hell we have Perfetti as a likely PB player for the playoffs with our forward depth, with pretty much all forwards signed for next season.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Anyhow this will line up.pretty good for him as there should be openings the 25/26 season.
Unless we sign more free agents and block the young guys again.

Considering his injury I'm ok with this. We're still likely to be logjammed at f next year . Ideally I would have loved him to play on the Moose to get acclimatized with chibby lambo luscious etc but bring c of his college team is a great experience
Personally, I don’t think he’ll grow as a player nearly as much as he would on the Moose. It seems like a wasted development year.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

In my opinion, a few that should have been given better opportunities earlier include:
Heinola
Chisholm
Niku. Almost a point per game defenseman in Liiga
DeLeo. Point per game player in the AHL for the last 3 years.
And yes, I agree that Petan hasn’t gotten a fair shake at the NHL level. However, part of that is due to the fact that he doesn’t seem to want to change his game at all.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Hmmm... let's assume money is not a factor...

Would any of us not take an extra year of University? Where you're the captain, you're travel is super easy, play for sold out 7000 crowd and you have one more year around your friends... or move to Manitoba and fly all over North America, play for a half full arena 7000 crowd...

I could be wrong but NCAA playoffs ends sooner than AHL... and I dont see anyone talking about getting Lambert a game in the bigs right now.

Like anyone on this board would go back in time and tell their past self to take another year of uni life haha

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Would any of us not take an extra year of University? Where you're the captain, you're travel is super easy, play for sold out 7000 crowd and you have one more year around your friends... or move to Manitoba and fly all over North America, play for a half full arena 7000 crowd...

I could be wrong but NCAA playoffs ends sooner than AHL... and I dont see anyone talking about getting Lambert a game in the bigs right now.

Like anyone on this board would go back in time and tell their past self to take another year of uni life haha

I wish I could've experienced NCAA sports as a student there, seems incredible.

There are benefits to going to the Moose now, like getting used to a pro schedule, but overall if the player development side is good with it, I'm not concerned.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Frankly, if I could go back and do that, I would do it in a heartbeat. Getting a Headstart on a professional hockey career that in 10-15 years will pay you 10 times what you would earn in a lifetime with a university degree.
If he really wants to earn a university degree, do it after you retire from hockey.
The hockey window is small and staying in university for a year puts him further behind that big paycheque down the road.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Frankly, if I could go back and do that, I would do it in a heartbeat. Getting a Headstart on a professional hockey career that in 10-15 years will pay you 10 times what you would earn in a lifetime with a university degree.
If he really wants to earn a university degree, do it after you retire from hockey.
The hockey window is small and staying in university for a year puts him further behind that big paycheque down the road.
Thats why I say money is not a factor... for a regular Joe - he's on the moose, if he has a rich family, then stay in university

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Reality is, in a years time McGroarty's gonna be a position where he can think "wow if I play one more year of college I can pick where I start my NHL career". Would have to imagine it's going to be a tempting scenario regardless of what his current plans are

Reactions: Jets and Maukkis

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Or maybe playing an extra year in college makes him a better pro down the road and he makes more that way.

Reactions: Buffdog

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Or maybe playing an extra year in college makes him a better pro down the road and he makes more that way.
I wonder if that would be the case. I think it’s cool he’ll get to be captain, and that is good experience, but I don’t know if he has anything else to prove in college.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Reality is, in a years time McGroarty's gonna be a position where he can think "wow if I play one more year of college I can pick where I start my NHL career". Would have to imagine it's going to be a tempting scenario regardless of what his current plans are
I just don't see it in his character. Not many guys get the honour of wearing the C for the US development team. He's been thr leader of that age group since they've started playing together.

That's not the type of guy to pull that. If he had issues with playing here, he'd probably quietly go to chevy so he could deal his rights and get a return. But even then, he hasn't shown any of that either

I can see a scenario where his future was discussed and chevy probably said that next year he'd be looking at the Moose but the following year he'd be with the Jets. Both Copp and Trouba came straight to the NHL from NCAA, bypassing the Moose (as did Schief and Ehlers from juniors, to the chagrin of those here that say we don't give our young players a chance)

I remember the scouting report on Copp was that he was "pro-ready" after his D+2 year in NCAA (which was his third year in college, the Jets drafted him after his freshman year). I could see Chevy telling Rutger to work on the areas of his game he needs to in order to be in the same position

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wheeler, 3 years of NCAA and then straight to a $2.75 million a year contract with the Bruins. What is McBoaty thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad