Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
friedman saying the he is weighing both options right now
Might be waiting to see what Casey and Brindley do. If both go pro along with Nazar things aren't looking great for Michigan. Though that's been said several times over the years and they always seem to bounce back into a contender so who knows.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Rex Ruther?

Ruh roh.

He'll sign. Feels like the Jets have had a few in this position, torn between the "unfinished business" of becoming an NCAA champeen and wanting to get started on an NHL career, with one eye on future earnings and another on the rearview mirror as your college teammates turn pro and later draft classes start to graduate. It's a tricky posish. But I reckon he signs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
If he signs, I expect it is to assign him to the Moose for some early pro experience. The Jets are not going to burn a year of his ELC to give him an NHL game this season. It makes no practical or financial sense for the team. The question is if the player is ok with that as well. All indications are that Rutger is a team-first guy so I expect this to end well at this point.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If he signs, I expect it is to assign him to the Moose for some early pro experience. The Jets are not going to burn a year of his ELC to give him an NHL game this season. It makes no practical or financial sense for the team. The question is if the player is ok with that as well. All indications are that Rutger is a team-first guy so I expect this to end well at this point.

They may want to preserve that ELC year but pretty much all the college players that have signed have burnt a year. The Jets might be forced to do the same.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Don't recall the source Hustler mentioned but he mentioned on WST today that if it's unlikely Rutger plays in the NHL next season, he's likely to go back to Michigan instead of a year in the AHL.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
If McGroarty waited to go free agent, it would be one of the most amazing heel turns I've ever seen :laugh:

It would be haha

I don’t think he will sign because it sounds like he wants more guaranteed nhl minutes (my impression) but I don’t think we should expect him to play anywhere else but with the Jets on the nhl level

Great article from McIntyre on him that shows how much he respects and values the Jets organization, has a great relationship with the organization, and knows he is valued by the organization

He also is on record saying his favourite team growing up was the Winnipeg Jets and that article hints at how that may have happened (coming up to Manitoba for hockey camps)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Then we have 30 days to sign him after that season?

Nah he'd have to go through another season. Samberg went back for his third. He'll probably be the captain, and to be frank, outside of insane thoughts from some of the Jets media and specifically the youtube media, his ass was going to be in the AHL all this year and next. Makes sense to give it another go as the captain, then be ready for NHL fulltime in a year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It isn't about whether he would make the NHL next year or not. It is about moving on to the next level, the next step.

That said, I think he would have a good chance of making the Jets next year. If not then getting injury callup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad