Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As Rutger continues to play exceptionally in Michigan, I ask, what is Rutger McGroarty's realistic ceiling? Could he possibly have the potential to be a perennial all-star? Top 3 player? Top 6? I am not sure how to translate dominant NCAA performance to the NHL. I know we have had players like Jimmy Vesey who won Hobey Baker etc and never amounted to much in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As Rutger continues to play exceptionally in Michigan, I ask, what is Rutger McGroarty's realistic ceiling? Could he possibly have the potential to be a perennial all-star? Top 3 player? Top 6? I am not sure how to translate dominant NCAA performance to the NHL. I know we have had players like Jimmy Vesey who won Hobey Baker etc and never amounted to much in the NHL.
I think McGroarty seems like his potential is as a very good middle-6 forward, who can play on a top line with talented players. He would be a very good complement to players like Ehlers, Connor, Lambert, etc. because he plays a heavy game, but is also very good at finding teammates with passes and open space to score.

It's always hard to project comparables, but at the high end I think of players like Shane Doan or maybe Jason Robertson, for different aspects of McGroarty's game.

I also think he has a high floor, meaning it seems unlikely to me that he doesn't become at least a really effective 3rd line F on a good NHL team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think McGroarty seems like his potential is as a very good middle-6 forward, who can play on a top line with talented players. He would be a very good complement to players like Ehlers, Connor, Lambert, etc. because he plays a heavy game, but is also very good at finding teammates with passes and open space to score.

It's always hard to project comparables, but at the high end I think of players like Shane Doan or maybe Jason Robertson, for different aspects of McGroarty's game.

I also think he has a high floor, meaning it seems unlikely to me that he doesn't become at least a really effective 3rd line F on a good NHL team.

Yeah, I like the Doan comp for him.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Is there any in game comparison between McG and Barlow? Like, are they US/CAN versions of each other, or is one more a scorer and the other a set up man?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Is there any in game comparison between McG and Barlow? Like, are they US/CAN versions of each other, or is one more a scorer and the other a set up man?
Barlow is heavy heavy on shot one timers slap shots etc. a far lesser ovi - which is still great.

Rutger is not that. More physical pf - see foam comparison.

Reactions: abax44

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
AFAIC he could be another Nathan MacKinnon.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think it is that simple though Barlow is very much the shooter/goal scorer. McGroarty is an all around offensive player. I think he also plays decent defense but I'm really not sure about his defensive game.

AFAIC he could be another Nathan MacKinnon.

With a better personality. :laugh:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like the Matthew Tkachuk comparisons for McGroarty. I don’t think he scores at the same rate as MT, but would play a ‘similar’ type of game.

He seems to be developing nicely since his draft year. His skating is coming around. Now it may take him a bit longer to develop his offensive game, but a 25g/45a/70 pts player doesn’t seem unattainable to me, at some point in his NHL career. I’m sure the Jets are hoping that’s the case.

Barlow seems like a oldtime shooter / scorer to me after watching his mannerisms at the development camp. A guy that might hit 30+ goals regularly in the NHL and does all the little things right to play a more complete game.

I think a Barlow / Perfetti (Lambert) / McGroarty line in a few years could be very productive and hard to play against.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the Matthew Tkachuk comparisons for McGroarty. I don’t think he scores at the same rate as MT, but would play a ‘similar’ type of game.

He seems to be developing nicely since his draft year. His skating is coming around. Now it may take him a bit longer to develop his offensive game, but a 25g/45a/70 pts player doesn’t seem unattainable to me, at some point in his NHL career. I’m sure the Jets are hoping that’s the case.

Barlow seems like a oldtime shooter / scorer to me after watching his mannerisms at the development camp. A guy that might hit 30+ goals regularly in the NHL and does all the little things right to play a more complete game.

I think a Barlow / Perfetti (Lambert) / McGroarty line in a few years could be very productive and hard to play against.

I hope he is not a Tkachuk. The one we had here 30 years ago was 1 too many.

• Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I hope he is not a Tkachuk. The one we had here 30 years ago was 1 too many.
He’s not the exact same player, he’s a cleaner player, but he will be a pain in the a$$ to play against. But more like a Lowry PITA.

It’s the blend of PITA and offence that will make him a management, coaches, and fan favourite. I believe he’s destined to play a top 6 role due to his playmaking and gritty game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He’s not the exact same player, he’s a cleaner player, but he will be a pain in the a$$ to play against. But more like a Lowry PITA.

It’s the blend of PITA and offence that will make him a management, coaches, and fan favourite. I believe he’s destined to play a top 6 role due to his playmaking and gritty game.
PITA?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree that the comparison with M Tkachuk is stylistic, not attitude. Remarkably, McGroarty has only 1 minor penalty this season despite playing a physical and aggressive style. He's a very smart player that can complement skilled linemates. He's a very good passer with vision and he has a good shot and scoring touch around the net.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's my hope for him. In fact, I still hope he can be converted to a C.

I am all for players who can be hard to play against/PITA. Just don't quite cross the line to dirty SOB.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's my hope for him. In fact, I still hope he can be converted to a C.

I am all for players who can be hard to play against/PITA. Just don't quite cross the line to dirty SOB.
1707518038865.png

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
If Lambert was on Michigan right now, he'd have double the points McGroarty has, that said, I love both as prospects.

The rumor of him coming up as a 4th line winger for a playoff run is interesting but I think Barron, Kupari, and even Axl are better suited at the moment.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If Lambert was on Michigan right now, he'd have double the points McGroarty has, that said, I love both as prospects.

The rumor of him coming up as a 4th line winger for a playoff run is interesting but I think Barron, Kupari, and even Axl are better suited at the moment.

I don't really see what basis there is to say this. Although it's not like I can accurately suggest what Lamber would put up.

Agreed on him joining the club. Coaches everywhere always scratch rookies for vets for 4th line roles, it's almost inevitable

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

That's, uh, a massive stretch.

To highlight it a bit, Lambert would be leading the NCAA by 27 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad