Russo: Caps had no interest in being in the playoffs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So, nobody is gonna ask why a reporter supposedly covering a team in the Western bubble, Minnesota, would feel the need to write a critical article about a team that was playing in the Eastern bubble?

Was he at least in the Eastern bubble or has he just decided to go with heresay & fiction?

He didn't write an article. He mentioned it on a podcast.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
This is no different from any other Stanley Cup playoff, if your team was in it you wouldn't be saying that.

I think it's different. The context of these playoffs doesn't help teams to play at their full potential. Yeah, everyone is in same position, therefore SC will be fully deserved. But, playoffs are different. Less quality I'd say.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Why not include Pittsburgh (as far as not trying their best). It's just as real as the Blackhawks in 2013.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't buy it - not least because Russo doesn't have any concrete info here, just speculation.

Players are innately driven to win. It takes a lot of focus and determination to be ready for a playoff battle and the Caps weren't able to summon that, I'm sure there's some interesting stories why, but "no interest in being in the playoffs" is likely 100% B.S. They wanted to come together and win and just couldn't do it to the peak degree necessary to win.

Also it's hilarious that this gets said about the Islanders opponents more than anyone else. "Flyers looked like they didn't want to play", "Penguins didn't want to play", "Panthers didn't want to be there", etc...

Reactions: wingnutks

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
BS

When I was in my 20-ies / early 30-ies, working, studying, partying (and occasional sleeping) were in seamless transition.

If you think the Caps were the only team having fun in the bubble from time to time, then I feel pity for you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think whether consciously or subconsciously, Pittsburgh, Washington, and St. Louis were not into the whole bubble set up.

They already have their Cups and being locked into a hotel for weeks on end didn't have much appeal.

Reactions: Green and LGBlues

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think whether consciously or subconsciously, Pittsburgh, Washington, and St. Louis were not into the whole bubble set up.

They already have their Cups and being locked into a hotel for weeks on end didn't have much appeal.

I actually wonder how much truth there is to this. Not perhaps in terms of going into the series or games and not caring, but if they're down or losing, how much fight is in them to overcome?

Pens looked great early in the series but couldn't buy a goal, then looked like they gave up when Montreal went ahead and it took effort to get back in the series.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Yikes.

“Yeah, well, I mean the stories from inside the bubble about the Caps basically turning it into a vacation, having pool parties and things like that, you pretty much knew that they had no interest in being there,” Russo said when discussing the New York Islanders' easy series win over the Caps.

Capitals under fire after reports that they turned their playoffs into an extended summer vacation

Looks like prison to me. Drinking on top of a building on a concrete slab. Looking from a balcony. Watching hockey on jumbotron in close stadium.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
sure it may sound like sour grapes but it makes sense. Teams like Washington and St Louis, they've won cups recently so they didn't have the fire and probably just wanted to go home, unlike teams like Vegas and Tampa and the Islanders who are hungry to win and know this is probably their best shot.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I don't get making a garbage post like this unless you are trying to open up for a self burn.

This is no different from any other Stanley Cup playoff, if your team was in it you wouldn't be saying that. You can scream asterik from your basement all you want

Also, you should be thankful and cheering for the Lightning as a Ranger fan right now. I know I am

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the honest truth is there's a lot of players that had no interest staying for weeks in this bubble.

When Rask said the atmosphere of the games feels nothing like real playoffs, he was probably saying what a lot of the guys probably don't want to say aloud.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can't believe I am going to defend the Capitals... but here I go:

First, I do not think ANYBODY wanted to be in the bubble in the first place. Second, I am not surprised that guys are trying to make the best of a shitty situation. Third, if you think hockey players do not party during the regular season or the playoffs, you are mistaken. These guys are FAMOUS humain beings in their 20s and 30s with a lot of money; of course they live the life. I mean, hell, I remember my early 20s and I did plenty of partying... but never missed a day of work. Plenty of us have.

I mean, I am sure you have guys who stayed in their rooms and played videogames until 3AM. Older guys with a wife and kids probably spent A LOT of time of facetime. The Caps may have a "funner" bunch than most and were hanging out more. Who knows and who cares? These guys are not robot and they are allowed to have fun when they are not working. Same as everybody. Does not mean they are not taking things seriously.

One thing I am 100% sure of is that every player and every team played to win once they got on the ice. That's how these guys are wired and if they weren't, they would never had made it to the NHL.

Should have just locked the thread after this post. Well done!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not to put too fine of a point on it but I have to wonder if this is the longest a lot of these guys have gone without sex since high school, lol.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I think this was pretty obvious when you look at how they played against NYI.

Zero commitment to detail, 80% effort, etc.

It's one of the reasons why I called Tampa NYI's first real test. Neither Philly (lost their defensive dominance with the break) nor Washington was really a worthy playoff opponent.

Yep. the islanders got a cake-walk into the ECF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad