Russo: Caps had no interest in being in the playoffs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
No duh

These guys knew this wasn't going to be a legit tournament. You could tell by the level of play for multiple teams.

This was an attempt to grab as much money as possible to not set the league back. The real play will continue next season
Cute attempt at making a joke but I couldn't have gave less f***s what happened with the Rangers this tournament. I wanted the 12.5% shot at Lafreniere and we ended up winning him

Yawn

call me when the Lightning win something that isn't the regular season.
I don't get making a garbage post like this unless you are trying to open up for a self burn.

This is no different from any other Stanley Cup playoff, if your team was in it you wouldn't be saying that. You can scream asterik from your basement all you want

Also, you should be thankful and cheering for the Lightning as a Ranger fan right now. I know I am

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't get making a garbage post like this unless you are trying to open up for a self burn.

This is no different from any other Stanley Cup playoff, if your team was in it you wouldn't be saying that. You can scream asterik from your basement all you want

Also, you should be thankful and cheering for the Lightning as a Ranger fan right now.
Oh no, how will I ever survive being burned by people on a hockey forum

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No duh

These guys knew this wasn't going to be a legit tournament. You could tell by the level of play for multiple teams.

This was an attempt to grab as much money as possible to not set the league back. The real play will continue next season

The Islanders seemed like the only team actually trying to win this thing

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Wait. Who released this BS response? Check again. It wasn't the Caps, but a Minnesota Wild beat reporter in Edmonton?
"Yeah, well, I mean the stories from inside the bubble about the Caps basically turning it into a vacation, having pool parties and things like that, you pretty much knew that they had no interest in being there,”. So there is some validity to he statement and channeled those sentiments via is article.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
"Yeah, well, I mean the stories from inside the bubble about the Caps basically turning it into a vacation, having pool parties and things like that, you pretty much knew that they had no interest in being there,”. So there is some validity to he statement and channeled those sentiments via is article.

But you made it sound like the Caps were making excuses for their play. We know we got our asses kicked. No excuses.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Imagine thinking this is an insult lol

I mean it's all petty bullshit but yer original line was pretty funny given that Tampa has a Cup in the last 20 years (and more recently than the other squad in this dumb pissing match) and also seems to have a pretty damn good shot at another in a few weeks' time. Why bother?

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
No duh

Shocking to hear this from a Rags fan!!!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do none of you guys read before spouting off? The link says that Russo mentioned this in a podcast. There was no mention of an article. Anyway, it seems that the "shooting the messenger" crew is out in full force.

I like Russo, and the things he writes are usually backed up and solid, but the Podcast is a lot more informal. It's not like he was going out of his way to focus on the Caps, but merely mentioned it in passing while trying to fill time.

If true, it's a pretty damning indictment of the culture on the Caps. Not working things out with Trotz looks to be a giant mistake, in hindsight. It's pretty odd for a coach to not return after winning a Cup- I wonder if he knew that there was a problem there, and either doubted he could fix it longterm, or just didn't want to.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

sweetberrywine

Jun 3, 2010
Tampa, FL
funny how there’s a rangers fan trolling in a thread about a wild reporter’s thoughts on the caps’ playoff effort

if true, oh well sometimes teams just don’t show up come playoff time. definitely not a unique aspect of the bubble...

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So why did they fire Reirden?

There was something wrong with the team ever since last year's playoff collapse to the Canes. And they did put in effort last year, but anyone can see that Brind'Amour coached circles around Reirden. But it was Reirden's rookie year. So it was a wait and see approach.

This season, they won a lot of games that they had no business winning. Remember those 6v5 wins? And then around the start of the calendar year, everything collapsed. There were rumors that the the team tuned out Reirden before the playoff tournament even started.

Then now Kypreos reports that the Caps were talking to Babcock before the shutdown even happened, which is significant because the Caps never change their coach mid-season, especially so close to the playoffs. That would most likely only happen if there were significant player feedback.

The Caps did fire Reirden fast, after receiving input from players, and that is a fact. Then there is Kuznetsov's mysterious comments about coaching and systems after their only win in Game 4. All things point to a falling out, or something happening. I dont know if it was a specific thing that happened, but the Caps have not looked right this whole season.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
There was something wrong with the team ever since last year's playoff collapse to the Canes. And they did put in effort last year, but anyone can see that Brind'Amour coached circles around Reirden. But it was Reirden's rookie year. So it was a wait and see approach.

This season, they won a lot of games that they had no business winning. And then around the start of the calendar year, everything collapsed. There were rumors that the the team tuned out Reirden before the playoff tournament even started.

Then now Kypreos reports that the Caps were talking to Babcock before the shutdown even happened, which is significant because the Caps almost never fires their coach mid-season, especially so close to the playoffs. That would most likely only happen if there were significant player feedback.

The Caps did fire Reirden fast, after receicing input from players, and that is a fact. Then there is Kuznetsov's mysterious comments about coaching and systems after their only win in Game 4. All things point to a falling out, or something happening. I dont know if it was a specific thing that happened, but the Caps have not looked right this whole season.

Gotcha, makes sense.

If would just suck if he was fired because of the playoff loss although the team didn't even want to play. But if this was a long time coming and the loss was used as the final straw, it's no big deal.

Reactions: max21

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Gotcha, makes sense.

If would just suck if he was fired because of the playoff loss although the team didn't even want to play. But if this was a long time coming and the loss was used as the final straw, it's no big deal.

Its no excuse for the way we got handled by you guys. But yes, we got problems. And the shoulda, woulda, coulda with Trotz is nothing more than that. Its all in the past now, only important thing is to fix things for the future. Thats all that matters.

Which is why this next coaching hire is huge, especially with Ovie's last years as a top player.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Its no excuse for the way we got handled by you guys. But yes, we got problems. And the shoulda, woulda, coulda with Trotz is nothing more than that. Its all in the past now, only important thing is to fix things for the future. Thats all that matters.

Which is why this next coaching hire is huge, especially with Ovie's last years as a top player.

tenor.gif

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
If true, it's a pretty damning indictment of the culture on the Caps. Not working things out with Trotz looks to be a giant mistake, in hindsight. It's pretty odd for a coach to not return after winning a Cup- I wonder if he knew that there was a problem there, and either doubted he could fix it longterm, or just didn't want to.

Trotz and the Caps players love each other still very much.

No, whatever issues Trotz had was with the front office. It was just a mutual parting of ways.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The 2020 Capitals are a joke.

Imaging having to root for these gutless losers? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad