Russo: Caps had no interest in being in the playoffs

illpucks

May 26, 2011

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I understand that the Caps have had a lot of success over the last 15 years, and their Stanley Cup win of course. But I can't help but think this kind of attitude is probably the main reason this team has consistently underachieved in the playoffs.

It sucks that Reirden got thrown into leading this toxic locker room, and it'll certainly give their next head coach a headache too.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I can't believe I am going to defend the Capitals... but here I go:

First, I do not think ANYBODY wanted to be in the bubble in the first place. Second, I am not surprised that guys are trying to make the best of a shitty situation. Third, if you think hockey players do not party during the regular season or the playoffs, you are mistaken. These guys are FAMOUS humain beings in their 20s and 30s with a lot of money; of course they live the life. I mean, hell, I remember my early 20s and I did plenty of partying... but never missed a day of work. Plenty of us have.

I mean, I am sure you have guys who stayed in their rooms and played videogames until 3AM. Older guys with a wife and kids probably spent A LOT of time of facetime. The Caps may have a "funner" bunch than most and were hanging out more. Who knows and who cares? These guys are not robot and they are allowed to have fun when they are not working. Same as everybody. Does not mean they are not taking things seriously.

One thing I am 100% sure of is that every player and every team played to win once they got on the ice. That's how these guys are wired and if they weren't, they would never had made it to the NHL.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
How did they get all the bikini babes to the pool party?! I thought the players were in a bubble to prevent the spread of the corona virus.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If so, their excuse is more damning that the reality.

None of the recent Cup winners had a good showing. Having won a "real Cup" in a "real year", they all knew that this Cup isn't a real one. ;)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Yikes.

“Yeah, well, I mean the stories from inside the bubble about the Caps basically turning it into a vacation, having pool parties and things like that, you pretty much knew that they had no interest in being there,” Russo said when discussing the New York Islanders' easy series win over the Caps.

Capitals under fire after reports that they turned their playoffs into an extended summer vacation

Easy to look back and claim whatever you'd like to claim.

If Washington had swept the Islanders, the narrative would have been "The Capitals were relaxed and that allowed them to play their game."

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
So, nobody is gonna ask why a reporter supposedly covering a team in the Western bubble, Minnesota, would feel the need to write a critical article about a team that was playing in the Eastern bubble?

Was he at least in the Eastern bubble or has he just decided to go with heresay & fiction?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Alright. Well as long as the fan apathy matches the team’s, I don’t see any issue.

Honestly, I dont think the Caps' lackadaisical play was the result of not caring about the playoffs. I think it was more a falling out between the players and coach Reirden. Something happened in that locker room, and we dont know what.

Hell, if Kypreos is to be believed, the Caps were talking to Babcock all the way back in Feb/March.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think this was pretty obvious when you look at how they played against NYI.

Zero commitment to detail, 80% effort, etc.

It's one of the reasons why I called Tampa NYI's first real test. Neither Philly (lost their defensive dominance with the break) nor Washington was really a worthy playoff opponent.

Reactions: HF007

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I just think at this point with the Pens and Caps you either get a dialed in cup contender or the worst team in the playoffs, I don't really get why I doubt it's because they don't care(that's such an overused excuse). I'd say when they're on they look like playoff hardened veterans and when they're off they just look old and slow.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
No duh

These guys knew this wasn't going to be a legit tournament. You could tell by the level of play for multiple teams.

This was an attempt to grab as much money as possible to not set the league back. The real play will continue next season
iu

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
None of the recent Cup winners had a good showing. Having won a "real Cup" in a "real year", they all knew that this Cup isn't a real one. ;)
Last time i checked they will be handing out the actual Stanley Cup and not one made from paper cups so yea its a real championship. Just because the Caps got their asses kicked they had to release this BS response.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Cute attempt at making a joke but I couldn't have gave less f***s what happened with the Rangers this tournament. I wanted the 12.5% shot at Lafreniere and we ended up winning him

Yawn

call me when the Lightning win something that isn't the regular season.
I'd say the same for the rangers but I don't have a landline anymore.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Last time i checked they will be handing out the actual Stanley Cup and not one made from paper cups so yea its a real championship. Just because the Caps got their asses kicked they had to release this BS response.

Wait. Who released this BS response? Check again. It wasn't the Caps, but a Minnesota Wild beat reporter in Edmonton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad