WC: Russian Top 6: Best in the Tournament, Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I'm positive Russia has the best top 6 in the tourney. Ovechkin and Semin will once again get to play hard for what matters most to them.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Does Russia have the best top 6?...Yes
Will Russia win this tournament?...Not necessarily

Everybody always likes to look at the pure skill level of the top players and how pretty their goals are. Winning hockey games is about a lot more than just talent. It takes desire, depth, heart, etc...(and yes, coaching as has been pointed out several times. But those coaches that are getting blamed so much are actually a part of the Russian TEAM. They are not a seperate entity that got in the way of a perfectly crafted lineup.) So we will see if Russia has the other elements of their game tuned up as they will need to be.

I do agree that Russia is under the gun in this tourney and at the very least it will give them some inspiration and focus to work with.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I'm positive Russia has the best top 6 in the tourney. Ovechkin and Semin will once again get to play hard for what matters most to them.

Instead of insinuating something negative about these Russian stars, one rather be asking, why so few Northern American stars seem to be willing to give the same effort in representing their country. Noone disputes that the tournament is less prestigeous than the Olympic Games, but it is still an event, where skilled players can show their passion for the sport and their country.

Gruß,
BSHH

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Instead of insinuating something negative about these Russian stars, one rather be asking, why so few Northern American stars seem to be willing to give the same effort in representing their country. Noone disputes that the tournament is less prestigeous than the Olympic Games, but it is still an event, where skilled players can show their passion for the sport and their country.

Gruß,
BSHH

This is a one off where we don't have our best available players playing and it's because it's an olympic year. Many of the players that opted NOT to come this year are doing so as they are nursing injuries, etc. It's been a LONG year for many of those players and they have been playing hockey since September and been in training since late July/Aug. As a Canadian, I would have liked to see players like Staal, Iginla, etc playing for the country, but I can understand why they aren't.

Had this not been an Olympic year, I am betting that the majority of the big names that aren't there would have been.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Does Russia have the best top 6 forwards in the tournament again?
Also, what will this top 6 look like?

I think Bykov should go with:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Radulov
Kovalchuk-Tereschenko-Semin

for Russia, only because Semin has been playing so poorly. But I think he will go with is:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin
Kovalchuk-Tereschenko-Radulov

What is the best possible top 6 in this tournament? Thoughts?

Honestly, after the Olympic goaltending debacle and god awful performance how does he still have anything to do with the Russian national team?

A Canadian person living in Arizona named Phaneuf fan and cheering for the Penguins. :laugh:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

Gruß,
BSHH

cuz our best players are still in the playoffs. they choose to play harder in the nhl and therefore arent available for this tourney.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
A Canadian person living in Arizona named Phaneuf fan and cheering for the Penguins. :laugh:

Thats funny really? Yes I am a Canadian person living in Arizona, whos been a Pens fan since the early 80s, who is a big fan of Dion Phaneuf. hillarious i know :help:

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
Honestly, after the Olympic goaltending debacle and god awful performance how does he still have anything to do with the Russian national team?

Because it takes a lot more than one regulation loss in three years of international tournaments for a coach to get fired. Although that one single loss was Russia's most important game under Bykov's tenure so far, it shouldn't erase the last three years of team-building and accomplishments. Mistakes were made and lessons need to be learned, and perhaps this was a helpful experienze for B&Z that will strengthen Russia's preparation for subsequent Olympics.

nbchtu

Jun 13, 2009
Moscow
On paper - probably our top 6 is the best.
In reality anything can happen (see the chokejob from Nabokov and Slovakia-Sweden in Vancouver). Even in best of 7 goalie can steal the series (Halak).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad