WC: Russian Top 6: Best in the Tournament, Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Headline should read:

Non-playoff performers head-up an All Star World Championship roster for Russia.

pouskin74*

If Sweden has these guys...

Nick Backstrom
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Alfredsson
Loui Eriksson
Mikael Samuelsson
Johan Franzen
Patric Hörnqvist

I think Russia's forwards are highly overrated. I prefer Backstrom, Sedins and Zetterberg over all Russian forwards not named Ovechkin.

To this tournament, yes Russia will have the best top 6. But some of Sweden's biggest stars are in the SC play-off. Maybe there's a reason to why the swedish stars still are in SC play-offs. They are really a force for their teams unlike some Russian forwards. Still can anyone explain for me what Kovalchuk and Semin did in the SC play-offs?? Not much right?

Again? What again?? I don't think the Russians forwards was that much better than the Swedes in the olympics.

i prefere Ovechkin , Malkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk ahead of every single sweden forward 7 days a week.

STHLM*

i prefere Ovechkin , Malkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk ahead of every single sweden forward 7 days a week.

Ohh so you prefer Kovalchuk over the Art Ross winner and his amazing twin? Malkin has been godawful this year! Sorry but the Russian forwards are highly overrated! Can you explain for me what Kovalchuk has done to take him over H. Sedin? We are talking about a potential Hart winner! Sweden's forwards hands down! Also Kovakchuk over Backstrom?? OMG I prefer Backstrom over Malkin any day of the week!

pouskin74*

Ohh so you prefer Kovalchuk over the Art Ross winner and his amazing twin? Malkin has been godawful this year! Sorry but the Russian forwards are highly overrated! Can you explain for me what Kovalchuk has done to take him over H. Sedin? We are talking about a potential Hart winner! Sweden's forwards hands down! Also Kovakchuk over Backstrom?? OMG I prefer Backstrom over Malkin any day of the week!

can i remind you where were your "amazing" twins last year and years before? Backstrom over Malkin? only in your wet..... maybe but nothing else. do i have to remind you who were the best player in last year regulars and in playoffs?? he was able to get 1.17 ppg even on his "awful" year so what can i say? OH MY GOD:laugh:

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Canada could of had better top 6:
Nash
Staal
Getzlaf
Lecavalier
St. Louis
Iginla
Richards
Spezza
Doan

But none of these guys are showing up. And all of Russia's best players are going. Should be an interesting tournament.

This.

I realize it was an Olympic year but Canada could have been so much better. Oh well.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
Does Russia have the best top 6 forwards in the tournament again?
Also, what will this top 6 look like?

I think Bykov should go with:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Radulov
Kovalchuk-Tereschenko-Semin

for Russia, only because Semin has been playing so poorly. But I think he will go with is:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin
Kovalchuk-Tereschenko-Radulov

What is the best possible top 6 in this tournament? Thoughts?

its possible, but their bottom 6 and D will lose it for them so its a mute point

and for what its worth, Id take stamkos over all of them except OV... and its likely canadas worst center would be russia's best

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, Russia looks poised for a 3rd straight.

Good on their stars for answering the call from their country. A lot of Canadians wanted no part of this tourny. Some have valid reasons, some not so much.

It'd be a disaster if Russia didn't win this.

Roamin

Jul 31, 2009
Yeah, I wonder why that would be?:laugh:

There was nothing but love and admiration for how great the coach was going into the tournament. He had won two World Championships and blah blah blah.

You can keep trying to convince yourself that it was all the coaching and preparation, but nobody else is buying it.

I was wondering why the coach wasn't adjusting anything in terms of lines or plays or even talking much to his players when Russia wasn't playing well or losing.

Kept wondering why the team as a whole was very slow and looked ill prepared.

I don't think it had anything to do with coaching and preperation however.
I'm pretty sure Semin is 100% to blame for the entire Olympics.
him and his flailing fighting tactics.

Crimson Devil*

I will be extremely interested in how Ilya Kovalchuk performs.

Roamin

Jul 31, 2009
I will be extremely interested in how Ilya Kovalchuk performs.

he did OK in the playoffs.
best devil for the most part in that series.
... which I still can't believe they lost.. so easily.

and he was the MVP last year right?
it will be interesting to see.
playing for a contract prehaps!

BlackAces*

I was wondering why the coach wasn't adjusting anything in terms of lines or plays or even talking much to his players when Russia wasn't playing well or losing.

Kept wondering why the team as a whole was very slow and looked ill prepared.

I don't think it had anything to do with coaching and preperation however.
I'm pretty sure Semin is 100% to blame for the entire Olympics.
him and his flailing fighting tactics.

I kept wondering why they chose to use a bunch of KHLers?

Was it because they thought they were good enough (they weren't); or was it because they were so cocky about their top 6 forwards, they thought they could make a statement by just throwing in a bunch of guys from "their" league and still win?

Ignoring the fact that their defence was probably what cost them any chance at winning, and that weakness was not exactly a secret going in.

Hardly all the coaches fault. They made many mistakes, and coaching was just one of them.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
he did OK in the playoffs.
best devil for the most part in that series.
... which I still can't believe they lost.. so easily.

and he was the MVP last year right?
it will be interesting to see.
playing for a contract prehaps!

he better learn to play net too if he thinks he is getting 10 million a year from an NHL team. maybe he will sign in the KHL?

Russia will likely have the best wingers, but center is the most important forward position. But Russia's elite wingers against what will be mostly 2nd tier defensemen should be an advantage. The same question for Russia is will they be able to keep the puck out of their net?

I would say Russia is probably the favorite, Canada is sending a very young team and the other major hockey countries are sending their B teams as well. It is just not on the same level as best on best.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Was it because they thought they were good enough (they weren't); or was it because they were so cocky about their top 6 forwards, they thought they could make a statement by just throwing in a bunch of guys from "their" league and still win?

Ignoring the fact that their defence was probably what cost them any chance at winning, and that weakness was not exactly a secret going in.

Hardly all the coaches fault. They made many mistakes, and coaching was just one of them.

KHLers? :facepalm:

Start to finish, ZZM was Russia's the most consistent line. And KHLer Korneev was the best overall defenseman.

Russia's biggest problem was not team selection, it was:
1. Lack of cohesion amongst 'top 6'
2. Lack of coaching adjustments to what opponents were doing.
3. Failure to use the right players in the right situations.

80% of Russia's failure was coaching incompetence. After 2 WC gold's, Bykov/Zakharkin became too arrogant and self-assured.....and their ignorance of NA style hockey became painfully obvious (Afinogenov on the PK? Really?).
Christ, even Bykov's shoot-out selection was a joke (kept using Ovechkin vs Slovakia).

Last edited:

pouskin74*

you dont have any idea what you talking about! KHL hater on the podium! what will he do?? what will he do?? just bashing KHL. simple is that:laugh:

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
80% of Russia's failure was coaching incompetence. After 2 WC gold's, Bykov/Zakharkin became too arrogant and self-assured.....and their ignorance of NA style hockey became painfully obvious (Afinogenov on the PK? Really?).
Christ, even Bykov's shoot-out selection was a joke (kept using Ovechkin vs Slovakia).
Add "Canada is easy to 'read'" to the list.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Canada could of had better top 6:
Nash
Staal
Getzlaf
Lecavalier
St. Louis
Iginla
Richards
Spezza
Doan

But none of these guys are showing up. And all of Russia's best players are going. Should be an interesting tournament.
Finland could have had Jesus, Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, Krishna, Lao Tzu, Muhammad and Sea Man. Imagine that top-6!

I don't get it when in international tournaments, so many fans (especially Canadians) have the need to post all the guys they could've-should've had. The tournaments are about who are playing, not who aren't playing.

And yes, Russia does have the best top-6 in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad