Recalled/Assigned: Russian savior 2.0

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I guess I'm just of little faith. I'd like to see him in a spot to exhibit both sound defensive ability and offensive creativity. I wouldn't mind throwing Lehtera on the 4th line and using Perron-Barbecue-Jaskin as the 3rd line

Its not like Upshall cant finish a pass. I just dont get this....its his FIRST GAME.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I guess I'm just of little faith. I'd like to see him in a spot to exhibit both sound defensive ability and offensive creativity. I wouldn't mind throwing Lehtera on the 4th line and using Perron-Barbecue-Jaskin as the 3rd line

I don't think Jaskin is any less of a black hole offensively then Upshall or Reaves. Jaskin has 10 points (compared to 9 and 7 for Upshall and Reaves), but only 1 goal. Perron is obviously by far the best offensive player out of these 4, but he is also a much bigger liability defensively than the other 3.

I think the 4th line is the perfect spot for him to exhibit both defensive and offensive ability. We have been utilizing our 4th line much more like a 3rd line lately and he won't have to do everything defensively like he would have to with Perron and Yak/Jaskin.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
In JR's article today Hitch said they will look at Barbashev and Megan, then after the bye week decide which one to keep until Brodziak gets back. That sounds fair, since they will be needing someone for over a month.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I'm thrilled about getting a first look at Barbashev tonight. I just wish there was local coverage for it instead of NBCSN tonight.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Meh.

Nothing special.

Played just over 10 minutes, lined with Reaves and Upshall. Had 1 SOG. Didn't do anything bad or great.

He back checked pretty well and worked pretty hard in the Dzone. Clearly that was his focus. He did wind up having a couple of dzone starts - which surprised me a bit.

Overall, he played average for an NHLer. Which is pretty good for a kid in his first start. He is what he is. He isn't a game breaker, but he plays his role well. I think he will done just fine in any role up and down the line up - but he isn't the answer at center this year. Next year, I don't think he could do worse the Jori.... so......

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
he wasnt the worst player on the ice so thats always good

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I dont have any problem with the way he played last night. 10 min TOI 1 shot 4 hits 2 blocked shots...he played solid for his first game with no practice with the team IMO. would like a better FO% though. But he didnt screw up or cause any of the carnage last night so ill take it as a solid jumping off point.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
He played exactly as I expected and wanted him to - with some tenacity, back checking, and hitting. I also liked his speed. With some more muscle added, he can be a solid middle 6 player for us. He's still young enough that his offense could translate to the NHL, but he's at least a solid bet to be an NHL player for a long time.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I only caught patches of the third, but I liked that he was hanging around the net in the o zone. I think he tipped a shot wide? I thought the kid was decent in his first NHL game

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I wasn't overtly thrilled with his performance last night, but he did alright. He didn't win a ton of board battles, but he was in them. He didn't get any tap-ins at the net, but he was there. He seemed to be involved every time he was on the ice, and that is a pretty good sign.

There was a point where he was sitting in front of an open net, and he all but broke his stick banging his stick on the ice. What did we do? Sent it back up to the blue line, took a few seconds, and then funneled it back in. In a few of his board battles, he pushed it back deep, only for it to be a turnover because there was nobody there to support the puck. We just aren't playing good hockey right now, and that isn't Barbashev's fault. The guys are just a mess.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Wolves probably have a game or two over the weekend so they'll want him to play in those. I expect either him or Megan to be called up after the break

It is also likely a bit of a paper move as well. No need to have his cap hit and salary on the books for several days when there are no practices going on. Obviously it isn't a huge amount of savings, but it does save $12k-$16k of cap space. It seems incredibly likely that we will be doing something at the deadline, so any extra space is a good thing to have. Not to mention it saves the Blues real dollars as well since he is on a 2 way deal.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I wasn't overtly thrilled with his performance last night, but he did alright. He didn't win a ton of board battles, but he was in them. He didn't get any tap-ins at the net, but he was there. He seemed to be involved every time he was on the ice, and that is a pretty good sign.

There was a point where he was sitting in front of an open net, and he all but broke his stick banging his stick on the ice. What did we do? Sent it back up to the blue line, took a few seconds, and then funneled it back in. In a few of his board battles, he pushed it back deep, only for it to be a turnover because there was nobody there to support the puck. We just aren't playing good hockey right now, and that isn't Barbashev's fault. The guys are just a mess.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think it was an ok performance for his first game. It was the baseline of what I expected. Good for a first game, showing promise, but nothing to get super excited about yet. He put forth consistent effort. That's something he has been criticized of not doing in the A by people I respect on this board, so that was nice to see. But I don't think he was always overly successful with that effort. He tried to back check, but seemed a step behind a bunch. He seemed unsure of hesitant of where to go on offense at times. These are all minor things and perfectly acceptable for a young rookie. But they are also things that will lose the trust of Hitch. Hitch will play youngsters, and he'll even play mistake-prone youngsters, but tentativeness from youngsters is not something we see for long.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I pretty much agree with all of this. I think it was an ok performance for his first game. It was the baseline of what I expected. Good for a first game, showing promise, but nothing to get super excited about yet. He put forth consistent effort. That's something he has been criticized of not doing in the A by people I respect on this board, so that was nice to see. But I don't think he was always overly successful with that effort. He tried to back check, but seemed a step behind a bunch. He seemed unsure of hesitant of where to go on offense at times. These are all minor things and perfectly acceptable for a young rookie. But they are also things that will lose the trust of Hitch. Hitch will play youngsters, and he'll even play mistake-prone youngsters, but tentativeness from youngsters is not something we see for long.

Definitely. He was guilty of Yakupoving a few times out there

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Obligatory gif

rl0FOxdz7CcxO.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad