Recalled/Assigned: Russian savior 2.0

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Barbashev has been recalled, Brodziak out for at least 5 weeks.

It will be nice to see Barbashev get a taste of the NHL. I want to see if he is a legit option for next season. After Rattie fizzled, I'm starting to lose confidence in some of the AHL tweeners. Barbashev's projected role, he needs to show he's a better option than Berglund (in my opinion).

What's wrong with Brodziak?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It will be nice to see Barbashev get a taste of the NHL. I want to see if he is a legit option for next season. After Rattie fizzled, I'm starting to lose confidence in some of the AHL tweeners. Barbashev's projected role, he needs to show he's a better option than Berglund (in my opinion).

Hurt foot

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

A right foot injury.

I just hope we don't put Barbashev in a 4th line only role. In the beginning I do think that role would be good, Upshall and Reaves would be good linemates to make for an easy transition, but hopefully if he plays well he'll get a bigger opportunity.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Couple of interesting things here:

1) Interesting it's Barbashev and not Megan again
2) Will Barbs get the Schwartz treatment, riding it out on the 4th line, or is he going to center the 3rd line?
3) How long before we see him matched with Jaskin?
4) What does Brodziak's injury mean for our PK? And what does our PK mean for our standings?

Thank god this wasn't Shattenkirk!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
A right foot injury.

I just hope we don't put Barbashev in a 4th line only role. In the beginning I do think that role would be good, Upshall and Reaves would be good linemates to make for an easy transition, but hopefully if he plays well he'll get a bigger opportunity.

He should certainly start there, but hopefully he plays well enough that they feel comfortable moving him up in the lineup. Until I read about the recall, I was just going to mention in another thread that I thought he should be a call-up option for 4LW. It will be interesting to see if they decide to put him at C right away or if they are going to move Upshall to the middle on that line. I know Barbashev has been playing C most if not all of this season in the A, but I'm just not sure he's strong enough to play in the middle at this level. I thought it would take at least one more offseason of training, but I guess we will see.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's a chance for Barbashev, but its bad for the Blues overall, if they had any hopes of making the playoffs.

Or maybe not. Maybe it will be like 1976, when Bernie Federko came up.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Couple of interesting things here:

1) Interesting it's Barbashev and not Megan again
2) Will Barbs get the Schwartz treatment, riding it out on the 4th line, or is he going to center the 3rd line?
3) How long before we see him matched with Jaskin?
4) What does Brodziak's injury mean for our PK? And what does our PK mean for our standings?

Thank god this wasn't Shattenkirk!

Regarding the bolded, absolutely! Hopefully this thought is not lost on Army and he decides to pull the trigger a little earlier than his mid-February time frame he spoke of recently.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it would be smart to start with 4th line duty to get his feet wet and if he succeeds, put him on a line with a responsible vet and maybe even Jaskin who he is familiar with. Schwartz-Barbashev-Jaskin for example.

In a best-case scenario, he'll provide a quality net-front presence as well.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
rl0FOxdz7CcxO.gif

I've been waiting for BBSHV!!!!!!!!

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
He's been way more consistent this season. I like this callup. Barbashev bulked up this season too to win more puck battles. He's not a big guy in general but that was one thing I noticed immediately when he arrived at the prospect camps/tourneys this year. It's done wonders for him in the AHL this year too. Often times his goals are those "David Backes" goals we used to see.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He should certainly start there, but hopefully he plays well enough that they feel comfortable moving him up in the lineup. Until I read about the recall, I was just going to mention in another thread that I thought he should be a call-up option for 4LW. It will be interesting to see if they decide to put him at C right away or if they are going to move Upshall to the middle on that line. I know Barbashev has been playing C most if not all of this season in the A, but I'm just not sure he's strong enough to play in the middle at this level. I thought it would take at least one more offseason of training, but I guess we will see.

Based on JR's tweets I get the impression Barbashev will be in the middle. He said they called Barbashev up instead of tuning with Jaskin because they wanted a true center.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sound like Barbashev makes his NHL debut tonight. Don't want to get too excited about it, i could see him putting up something like 2G 1A +4 8 PIM 13 hits and 17/3 on the faceoff dot.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
From JR's article: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/morning-skate/brodziak-sidelined-five-weeks-barbashev-recalled/article_70507ca4-05b9-50a8-8bdd-3bb0ee273583.html

An injury that will keep Blues center Kyle Brodziak sidelined at least five weeks will lead to the NHL debut Thursday night for prospect Ivan Barbashev.

Brodziak suffered a right foot injury in Tuesday's 3-0 win in Pittsburgh. He blocked a shot by the Penguins' Chad Ruhwedel in the second period, which may not have been the cause of the injury. He finished the game, logging 13 minutes, 25 seconds of ice time.

The Blues held an optional practice Wednesday in Minnesota, in which Brodziak did not participate. He was seen limping significantly outside the club's locker room. The Blues, who have placed him on injured-reserve, say he'll be re-evaluated in a little more than a month.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
**** that sucks about Brodziak. He's an integral part of the team, but it could be worse. I'm happy for Barbashev as I think he's earned this opportunity, but I wish it wasn't at the expense of Brodziak.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Read Russian savior and thought Sergei Andronov was finally getting a shot :sarcasm:

Absolutely stoked to finally see Barbs, but hate that it's at the expense of Brodziak

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Do NOT put him on the 4th line.

Don't. Do. It

Why not? Barbashev plays a physical style of game that compliments the 4th line. He shouldn't be counted on to score in his first NHL callup - he just needs to get his feet wet and compete. He was inconsistent last year in the AHL in regards to scoring and in effort, and I don't think any line competes harder than our 4th line. A successful NHL debut for him is simply playing a safe game, checking, and competing hard. By putting him into a scorer's role off the bat, the expectations he puts on himself likely sky rocket, the pressure increases, etc.

I have no problem putting Barbashev on the 4th line, and that's where I expect him to be during this stint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad